PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to those making it work...

Chevette Girl
03-10-2011, 11:30 PM
This lady sure didn't...

"What is the quickest way to make a small fortune? Start with a large one and open a winery." (http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/A-cautionary-tale-How-go-goldengirlwp-2728667591.html?&mod=pf-sp14d)

wayneb
03-11-2011, 12:08 AM
It sounds so much like a parable or fable, that it amazes me it is true!

wildoates
03-11-2011, 01:29 AM
My son's best bud and college roommate is the son of the #3 guy at Apple, who is not at all hurting in the pocketbook ifykwimaityd...we keep trying to get him to set our sons up in a brewery/meadery, so far, no luck.;)

Medsen Fey
03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh, I'm not worried about Mrs. Kluge. She'll get some good lawyers (she's demonstrated that already :) ) and then she'll sue the banks. There is a thing called lender liability. She'll claim the banks should have known that she didn't have the experience and expertise to run a winery, and they should have never given her the shovel she used dig herself into a pit. It's all their fault and they should have to pay because she's was just an innocent, poor, trusting soul who was taken advantage of by these greedy bankers who just wanted to charge all these fees and interest even though they knew she was making a mistake.

I used to work for a bank. Trust me. It happens.

YogiBearMead726
03-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh, I'm not worried about Mrs. Kluge. She'll get some good lawyers (she's demonstrated that already :) ) and then she'll sue the banks. There is a thing called lender liability. She'll claim the banks should have known that she didn't have the experience and expertise to run a winery, and they should have never given her the shovel she used dig herself into a pit. It's all their fault and they should have to pay because she's was just an innocent, poor, trusting soul who was taken advantage of by these greedy bankers who just wanted to charge all these fees and interest even though they knew she was making a mistake.

I used to work for a bank. Trust me. It happens.

That just makes me sick...

wayneb
03-11-2011, 01:06 PM
It simply reinforces my perception of human nature. In every assemblage of people, no matter what the culture or government, there are those individuals who will believe that they are entitled to be supported in their stupidity - and they will find very clever ways of ensuring that that support is maintained. This isn't anything new, and it isn't likely to go away any time soon.

YogiBearMead726
03-11-2011, 01:29 PM
This isn't anything new, and it isn't likely to go away any time soon.

I'm pretty sure that is what makes me feel sick. Not that people could do something like this, but that they get away with it so easily.

AToE
03-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Yup, sick that makes me. I mean, there are certain situations where loaners are indeed at least partially responsible (shady mortgages to people who can't afford them but cannot understand the legalese enough to know they can't afford them), but liability for someone starting a business and failing at it is garbage.

Chevette Girl
03-13-2011, 02:28 AM
I hope that crap don't fly in Canada...

AToE
03-13-2011, 02:41 AM
Who knows, we're not quite to the "injure yourself robbing a house, sue the owners and win" nonsense point yet, but I definitely see us becoming more and more of a lawsuit society.

Brad Dahlhofer
03-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I thought that name sounded familiar. Just the other day, my wife and I both received e-mails about a winery that is up for auction. It just happens to be the one that this article is describing. Here's a link to the auction site. Great video presentation of the property, but the guy obviously doesn't know a thing about wineries or just made a mistake when he talks about the "aluminium" fermentation tanks. :)

http://www.jpking.com/index.asp?r=3147&aid=3529&p=3529

Here's the e-mail. (in case you have a few million lying around)

Kluge Estate Winery & Vineyard
AUCTION: Friday, April 8 at 10:30 a.m.
Charlottesville, Virginia

State of the Art Winery - Vineyard Equipment
VINEYARD EQUIPMENT: 2005 Pellenc 4560 Over-the-Row Multi-Tool Carrier - (7) John Deere, Kubota & other Diesel Tractors - Sprayers - Bobcat - Additional Vineyard items!
STATE-OF-THE-ART WINERY: 2007 GAI Wine Bottle Filling & Labeling System - (40) Criveller & Rieger S/S Dimple-Jacketed Refrigerated Tanks up to 4,000 Gallon - Bladder Presses & Strainer new as 2006 - Sparkling Wine Glycol Bath - 20-Valve Rotary Filler - Grape & Bottle Bins & Barrels - Ridling Machines - S/S Pumps & Valves - Forklifts - (3) Freon Chillers - Air Compressors - Much More!
REAL ESTATE - 900 Acres - Six Tracts - Auction by J.P. King - www.jpking.com or 800-558-5464
BULK WINE INVENTORY: Bulk Wine in Barrels & Vats - Red, White & Dessert Wines. Call 412-765-1170 for details!

PHOTOS & DETAILS: www.harrydavis.com
Ultra-Modern Condiment &
Viscous Products Production Facility

Former Giuseppe's facility
For Sale as Turn-key Operation!

200,000 s.f. plant on 28-acres with Expansion Potential
Sauces, Salsa, Mayo, Syrups, Dressings & More!

Detailed information available HERE

FOR IMMEDIATE SALE:
Milk, Whey & Soy Evaporating & Drying Facility
Former Protient plant - Farbault, MN
Click Here for Details!

FOR IMMEDIATE SALE:
(2) Ingersoll Rand 500 hp 3-Stage Air Compressors
Click Here for Details!

HARRY DAVIS & COMPANY has over 55 years of auction and appraisal experience in the Dairy, Food, Beverage, Machine Tool, Construction and other major industries. Let us put three generations of experience to work for you. Call or contact us today.

Chevette Girl
03-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow, nice find, Brad!

Hmm, how much can I liquidate in a hurry...

<runs off to look under the sofa cushions>

wildoates
03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
This isn't anything new, and it isn't likely to go away any time soon.No, not new, but it does seem to be becoming more and more common, if my students and their parents are any indication.

That's one of the things we like about brewing--it's a little piece of the self-sufficiency picture, and the more of that the better in my book.

mmclean
03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
That's one of the things we like about brewing--it's a little piece of the self-sufficiency picture, and the more of that the better in my book.

That's why I do it. I don't even drink that much, I just want to learn to ferment.

Chevette Girl
03-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, for me it's all about making stuff... "What in this house will ferment?" not as much about drinking stuff, although I do loves me my JAO :)

TheAlchemist
03-15-2011, 04:06 PM

I like that, too.

Home brewing brings out the Homesteading Pioneer Woman in me...