PDA

View Full Version : aging temperature

Leaf's Reckless Son
03-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Once the meade has been bottled and set aside to age, what is the ideal temperature range for the storage area to be?

mmclean
03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
I think 54F is ideal, but has a range. Same as wine. You can do a search here or google "wine storage".

akueck
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Mid 50s is good, but the best thing of all is "constant temperature". Even if that is 65 instead of 54, it's better to have it at one temp than have it swinging from one to another.

Leaf's Reckless Son
03-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks ! I'm storing in the basement which probably stays somewhere in the mid 50s in the winter anyway. It probably warms up gradually in summer though, probably into the 70s. hmmm.

fatbloke
03-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks ! I'm storing in the basement which probably stays somewhere in the mid 50s in the winter anyway. It probably warms up gradually in summer though, probably into the 70s. hmmm.
Well maybe you have room down there for a couple of open plastic barrels full of water, for evaporative cooling.

If nothing else, it should help keep the numbers down a couple of degrees when it gets too hot in the summer....

regards

fatbloke

AToE
03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
Well maybe you have room down there for a couple of open plastic barrels full of water, for evaporative cooling.

If nothing else, it should help keep the numbers down a couple of degrees when it gets too hot in the summer....

regards

fatbloke

Will that work? I thought the evaporating water had to be in contact with the fermentation container? If this will work I'm pretty happy, I've been looking for more ways to keep my fermentation temps down when I'm fermenting in a bucket (can't put a wet t-shirt over a bucket...).

TheAlchemist
03-13-2011, 04:15 PM
(can't put a wet t-shirt over a bucket...).

Who says?

A shallow pan with greater surface area works well for evaporation.

mmclean
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
I've been looking for more ways to keep my fermentation temps down when I'm fermenting in a bucket (can't put a wet t-shirt over a bucket...).

Why not? ???

AToE
03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Well see, I'm a fairly fit young fellow, and my t-shirts simply will not fit over a 10 gallon bucket! :p

I am looking into getting a wider vessel that I can sit it in with some water and frozen water bottles in it for cooling.

Tiwas
03-13-2011, 04:49 PM
If you want to, you can have my ex. Her heart is colder than ice and she'd get the temp right down. Of course, you'd have to deal with demons, rotating heads and all kinds of spewing. But I'd be happy to ship her out of the country if you really need cooling :p

mmclean
03-13-2011, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=AToE;161662]Well see, I'm a fairly fit young fellow, and my t-shirts simply will not fit over a 10 gallon bucket! :p
[QUOTE]

O.K., 10 gallon is kind of big. Surelly you have some kind of discount store where you can buy a XXXL shirt for a few bucks.

AToE
03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
I was also thinking that the plastic might insulate it too well for that to work, but I guess glass is very insulating as well, and it works on glass.

What I really want is to save up for one of those coiled tubes that you submerse in your must/wort with a chiller on one end (or just a pump pumping water cooled with ice if I'm cheap?) hooked up to a thermostat. I think proper continuous temp control is one of the huge missing links for me, especially when working with high nutrient needs yeasts. (I also need to start watching pH, but what the hell, I've been not watching the pH for a couple years already...)

Tiwas
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
AToE: Even though I know too little about brewing to really help out there, I can tell you water is 20x more efficient at transferring temperature than air. Even though plastic can insulate a bit better than some other materials, higher humidity will help keep it cooler. But...probably more while there's heat production from the yeast, but it should prevent it from getting hot. Kind of the same reason why humans sweat, and dogs don't survive hot cars (they only sweat on their paws, making them too hot)

mmclean
03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
You can make your own chiller easy enough. Copper tubing, a couple of fittings, and a pump.

AToE
03-13-2011, 05:34 PM
You don't want to put copper into an active ferment as far as I know, bad things happen. (Even after fermentation I would only put copper in to treat sulhpur odour problems, and even then it should be done with care so that you don't end up drinking poison).

EDIT: Unless you're talking about wrapping this around the outside of the bucket, in which case yes, it will work perfectly well! Just realized that might be what you meant...

mmclean
03-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Unless you're talking about wrapping this around the outside of the bucket, in which case yes, it will work perfectly well! Just realized that might be what you meant...

No not really...hadn't thought about it not be good for active ferment. I was thinking of a wort chiller or the condensing coil on a still.

Might work as a cooling jacket though.

wildoates
03-13-2011, 08:49 PM
If you want to, you can have my ex. Her heart is colder than ice and she'd get the temp right down. Of course, you'd have to deal with demons, rotating heads and all kinds of spewing. But I'd be happy to ship her out of the country if you really need cooling :p

Ouch.

I haven't fiddled with ways to keep it cool in primary, relying solely on keeping the buckets in a cool place, not that easy during our hot 35-40 C summer days.

akueck
03-14-2011, 12:37 AM
The 50-70 F swing over the year is fine if you're not planning on keeping anything long-term. If you want to store for more than about 4-5 years, you'll want to bring that swing down (and hopefully keep it in the 50s as well).

Tiwas
03-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Hmmm...might have to experiment with a coil when summer hits. I've seen pads to keep the temp up, but nothing to keep temps down.

You guys need to take a look at "Peltier Junction based thermoelectric cooling". This is kind of cool, as one side is hot and the other is cool. So...just turn it as the seasons change ;) Should be fairly easy to attach a probe to the outside of the fermenting vessel to have a thermostat.

Any electronics geeks here? I'd buy one! :)

Tiwas
03-14-2011, 03:30 AM
You guys are too slow in the middle of the night, so here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

Another good link: http://www.tellurex.com/technology/peltier-faq.php

Tiwas
03-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Just a thought...If you made some sort of insulated box (or maybe an old, out of order freezer) with one tube leading water in and one leading water out. Fill as much as possible of the inner space with copper tubing to create sort of a radiator. Then, using a temperature sensor, switch between either hot or cold water in the tubes.

Should be fairly cheap, while giving lots of rooms for different batches. If used with fridges instead, just connect the main tubes through some sort of manual gadgetry to control flow in the individual fridges.

This should keep the temps fairly even, don't you think? At least here in Norway where tap water's free :D

Chevette Girl
03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
I've seen discussions here about how you can also get additional after-market thermostats that can modify a freezer so it will stay at refrigerator temperatures. But I'll let the do-it-yourselfers explain that one...

havoc64
03-14-2011, 10:08 AM
well if I had $1700 laying around, I'd get one of these..
http://www.vinotemp.com/View.aspx/3042/VT-188-160-Bottle-Wine-Cellar-%28Stainless%29-

Hold 160 bottles...that's more than my entire stock..lol

akueck
03-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Thermoelectrics aren't all that efficient. You need quite a voltage to get much cooling. Good for small adjustments, and no moving parts. But I wouldn't try to go from summer temps to lager temps with one of those. Also not entirely cheap.

On the other hand, very nifty technology. Electrons move heat. Go, coupled transport, go!

The make-your-own thermostat isn't that complicated. You just tie the power to the compressor into the thermostat you add instead of the internal one. Put a probe in the box, set the temp, done. Search for Ranco controllers, they are popular with homebrewers.

Leaf's Reckless Son
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Wow, thanks all........ this has been a great thread :)

wildoates
03-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Thermoelectrics aren't all that efficient. You need quite a voltage to get much cooling. Good for small adjustments, and no moving parts. But I wouldn't try to go from summer temps to lager temps with one of those. Also not entirely cheap.

On the other hand, very nifty technology. Electrons move heat. Go, coupled transport, go!

The make-your-own thermostat isn't that complicated. You just tie the power to the compressor into the thermostat you add instead of the internal one. Put a probe in the box, set the temp, done. Search for Ranco controllers, they are popular with homebrewers.

Thus speaks the engineer. Remember, Aaron, this brewer's degrees are in life sciences and education...she doesn't understand practical. :)

akueck
03-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Thus speaks the engineer. Remember, Aaron, this brewer's degrees are in life sciences and education...she doesn't understand practical. :)

I am confident that anyone could eventually figure it out. After all, the answer leads to more beer/mead. What more incentive can there be?

O right, a hot redhead...holding the beer/mead. Well, build it and she will come? ;D

TheAlchemist
03-28-2011, 10:34 AM
I am confident that anyone could eventually figure it out.

Ha!

Oh, you engineers...

Personally I'm not too motivated by a hot redhead...unless he's bearded...

AToE
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm a bearded red head. ;)

TheAlchemist
03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm a bearded red head. ;)

That's sweet...but I'm afraid I'm old enough to be your mum...

wayneb
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Well I'm still bearded, but there ain't much red left.... ;D

Chevette Girl
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
That's sweet...but I'm afraid I'm old enough to be your mum...

Haa haa! I once had to tell a guy I wasn't interested, because he was younger than my car...

wildoates
03-28-2011, 08:46 PM
And I'm older than dirt compared to most of the youngins hereabouts. :)

I could probably figure it out, yeah...but not today. :)

Chevette Girl
03-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm at least not old enough to have had kids old enough to drink, presuming I myself was old enough at the time. Not for a few more years anyway :p

Chevette Girl
03-28-2011, 11:17 PM

And if you have trouble with the science of it all, offer some beer or mead to some engineer-type and get them to wire it up for you! ;D

TheAlchemist
03-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Well I'm still bearded, but there ain't much red left.... ;D

Was there once quite a lot of red beardedness, Wayne?

In the beard, yup. Up top was mostly sandy brown... once upon a time....

TheAlchemist
03-30-2011, 09:11 PM
And I'm older than dirt...

I thought only my brother was older than dirt...