PDA

View Full Version : New Eyes

TheAlchemist
03-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Making mead gives me a pair.

I find myself peeking in the pantry and wondering "could I make mead with that?"

Anybody out there ever take time lapse photos of yeasties at bubblework?

wayneb
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
No, but I wish now that I'd taken a video of a stawberry mead that I did a few years back. Large chunks of fruit (in secondary, mind you) were riding the "CO2 Express" elevator to the top of my carboy, discharging their gas bubbles, and then dropping back down. The whole effect made the carboy contents look like it was being constantly stirred up from the bottom. What a cool thing to watch!

AToE
03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
I like to ferment in glass whenever possible any time I'm using fruit with big seeds like raspberry, just so that I can watch this very effect! It ends up looking like they're being shot out of cannons from the bottom with big plumes of sediment following them, loads of fun! ;D

mmclean
03-14-2011, 05:51 PM
I like to ferment in glass whenever possible any time I'm using fruit with big seeds like raspberry, just so that I can watch this very effect! It ends up looking like they're being shot out of cannons from the bottom with big plumes of sediment following them, loads of fun! ;D

Oh, you crazy canuk.

AToE
03-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Hey, that's spelled Canuck! We like our redundant letters and are sticking with em!

(Any one else frustrated by the existance of the letter C? I'm sure it does stuff in other languages, but in English all it does is sound like S or K, or be combined into CH (which could be replaced by KH easily)... bah, I'm a bit of a goof with linguistics!)

mmclean
03-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Sorry, my bad.

wildoates
03-14-2011, 07:25 PM
I sure notice honey varieties more than I used to!

I don't ever primary in a carboy for one important reason: terminal laziness. A bunch of secondary reasons as well, but the primary reason (har har har) is that I don't want to wash the things. :)

Tiwas
03-15-2011, 12:14 AM
or be combined into CH (which could be replaced by KH easily)... bah, I'm a bit of a goof with linguistics!)

Uh..."Chuck Chose Cheeseburger" -> "Khuk Khose Kheeseburger"? Damn...Canadians are worse than Newzealanders :p

AToE
03-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Uh..."Chuck Chose Cheeseburger" -> "Khuk Khose Kheeseburger"? Damn...Canadians are worse than Newzealanders :p

Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down... ;)

TheAlchemist
03-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I've been watching a thread for an ancient recipe that uses birch sap.

Usually, around me, birch don't make the 10" diameter cut that would make tapping the tree safe for the tree.

BUT! Now, with my New Eyes, I see there's a huge birch across the street!

God Bless the Mead Maker's eyes...
Oh, and "Blessed are the cheese makers..."

Chevette Girl
03-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down... ;)

AToE's opinion of the letter C is not necessarily the opinion of the whole country... Brought to you by the other redundant letters X and Q...

... why do I suddenly feel like watching Sesame Street...

Oskaar
03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh it's not a Canadian thing, I just have a personal vendetta against the letter C for it's being useless. Of course, it does look nice when written down...

You should switch to Croatian we have three C letters and none are a K sound!

There's C which sounds like the TS in caTS, then there's Č which sounds like the first CH in CHurch, and then there's Ć which sounds like the last CH in churCH, and is what most people mispronounce as a 'K' when they see a last name like Bakulić.

Tannin Boy
03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I've been watching a thread for an ancient recipe that uses birch sap.

Usually, around me, birch don't make the 10" diameter cut that would make tapping the tree safe for the tree.

BUT! Now, with my New Eyes, I see there's a huge birch across the street!

God Bless the Mead Maker's eyes...
Oh, and "Blessed are the cheese makers..."

TA,

I'm finding the same thing....Lookin for new sources of trees :o
Sadly I have a 14" birch that is behind my neighbors house and
the Ice storm got it a few years back...:( Never thought I would be sad
to see a dead tree like that! Dam, that sucker could have been a gold mine.

TB

AToE
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
You should switch to Croatian we have three C letters and none are a K sound!

There's C which sounds like the TS in caTS, then there's Č which sounds like the first CH in CHurch, and then there's Ć which sounds like the last CH in churCH, and is what most people mispronounce as a 'K' when they see a last name like Bakulić.

Ha, good point, my buddy is Croatian and I kept pronouncing the C at the beginning of his name as K, even though it's TS (it's hard to put that tiny bit of T before the S sound, very Cantonese sounding almost). Also, he has that CH at the end of his name that's pronounced as SH.

JayH
03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
On the other hand be glad you don't play a txistu where the txi is pronounced the same as the che in cheese.

Chevette Girl
03-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Ha, good point, my buddy is Croatian and I kept pronouncing the C at the beginning of his name as K, even though it's TS (it's hard to put that tiny bit of T before the S sound, very Cantonese sounding almost). Also, he has that CH at the end of his name that's pronounced as SH.

My husband's half Slovenian so my new last name has a C in it that nobody ever gets right... How do YOU think "Ermenc" should be pronounced? I'll give you a clue, it sure ain't a K-like sound...

wayneb
03-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Slavic languages are simply phonetically richer than the romance languages; there's no way around it! ;D

For example, when the Poles decided to adopt the Roman alphabet they tried really hard not to add a bunch of diacritical marks to letters. They couldn't resist a few, but for the most part they indicated different consonant sounds by combinations of letters, which is why for example my surname (in the proper Polish spelling) is Bonczyk. My grandfather was forced to drop the z when he went through Ellis Island, because the immigration guard there couldn't understand what he was trying to say, so he "simplified" our name for us. :mad:

Anyway, you can have lots of diacritic variations as are found in Czech and Croatian, or you can simply expect it to be understood in context (as in Slovenian, and for the most part, Slovak) or you can end up with things like szcz, szw, ncz, etc, as you find in Polish.

TheAlchemist
03-17-2011, 06:38 PM
...or you can end up with things like szcz, szw, ncz, etc...

God Bless You!

TheAlchemist
05-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I am paying more attention now to the seasons, to what is in season when, to what I can ferment... Can't wait for the CSA boxes to start coming.

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I have a coconut tree in the backyard, and I haven't gotten around to trying a recipe like this yet. Shame on me...

Use your Mazer's eyes!
I wonder if it's fermentable whenever I look at just about anything...

TheAlchemist
05-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Ooooohhh nooo...The Farmer's Market is open...now I'll be looking in every stall for fermentables...what about mushrooms?

AToE
05-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Ooooohhh nooo...The Farmer's Market is open...now I'll be looking in every stall for fermentables...what about mushrooms?

Well, I've been wanting to do a mushroom mead forever, but I might be thinking of a very special variety that you're not thinking of. ;)

;D

chams
05-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Well, I've been wanting to do a mushroom mead forever, but I might be thinking of a very special variety that you're not thinking of. ;)

;D

Now, that's interesting, but dosing might be hard to judge. :cool:

AToE
05-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Now, that's interesting, but dosing might be hard to judge. :cool:

I figure for the right amount of flavour (just a subtle to medium amount) I'd work it out to about 1 gram per 750ml bottle. Don't want it too powerful tasting.

TheAlchemist
07-08-2011, 09:21 AM
I figure for the right amount of flavour (just a subtle to medium amount) I'd work it out to about 1 gram per 750ml bottle. Don't want it too powerful tasting.

Have you done this experiment yet?

TheAlchemist
07-08-2011, 09:23 AM
CSA boxes arriving w/ oregano, thyme...

kudapucat
07-08-2011, 12:10 PM

This would be an easy one to screw up and make overpowering. Take care, a lousy mead might upset your stomach.

TheAlchemist
07-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I do love re-purposing. Found some squares of muslin I'd saved for who-knows-why and have transformed them into fruit bags. Will use in my first mel!

TheAlchemist
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Getting new ears, too. With the current 2 batches, I'm just keeping them in the primary covered w/ a bleached towel, so I can hear them snapcracklepopping...

TheAlchemist
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Looking in my freezer...wondering

"Is that shelf tall enough to accommodate a galon jug?"

Soyala_Amaya
09-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I am currently doing bacon and tomato/garlic/olive...yeah, I'd say my eyes have been opened to possibilities of fermentation.

And the shelf issue vs cold crashing is a big issue at my house because it's not just my fridge. Sigh, some people just don't understand.

Chevette Girl
09-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I think if I ever cold-crash anything it's going to have to be in a cooler covered with ice packs or surrounded by frozen plastic jugs. With 4 adults in the house, fridge space is already at a premium...

Medsen Fey
09-07-2011, 04:57 PM
With 4 adults in the house, fridge space is already at a premium...

Uhhh....
Geography wasn't my strongest subject, but from where I sit, Ottowa (and all of Canada for that matter, as well as pretty much all of the U.S above Orlando) looks like it's in the Arctic circle. You ought to be able to cold crash some things pretty easily. ;D

Chevette Girl
09-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Uhhh....
Geography wasn't my strongest subject, but from where I sit, Ottowa (and all of Canada for that matter, as well as pretty much all of the U.S above Orlando) looks like it's in the Arctic circle. You ought to be able to cold crash some things pretty easily. ;D

Silly American, it doesn't start snowing as soon as you hit the border, you know...what DO they teach you at these schools of yours? ;D Southerners... :rolleyes: ;)

It's a pleasant 20 degrees Celsius right now (I'm finally voluntarily wearing long pants again and it rained so today was the first time I've worn a jacket since the spring) but over the weekend the indoor temp of my house was in the mid-30's. Gimme a minute and I'll put it in American units... Ok, right now it's around 68F and this weekend it was in the 90's.

From what I know, you want it around 40F to cold-crash, right? It'll be a while before that's any kind of stable here, I'd get the sun if I put it out the back door on the balcony (southern exposure) but the garage should hold around/just above freezing for about a month starting mid-December and then it'll be below freezing until probably March (although I just got an insulated garage door so that might change things). Problem is, the garage is a flight of stairs away from either brewing area.

kudapucat
09-08-2011, 12:54 AM
Silly American, it doesn't start snowing as soon as you hit the border, you know...what DO they teach you at these schools of yours? ;D Southerners... :rolleyes: ;)

It's a pleasant 20 degrees Celsius right now (I'm finally voluntarily wearing long pants again and it rained so today was the first time I've worn a jacket since the spring) but over the weekend the indoor temp of my house was in the mid-30's. Gimme a minute and I'll put it in American units... Ok, right now it's around 68F and this weekend it was in the 90's.

From what I know, you want it around 40F to cold-crash, right? It'll be a while before that's any kind of stable here, I'd get the sun if I put it out the back door on the balcony (southern exposure) but the garage should hold around/just above freezing for about a month starting mid-December and then it'll be below freezing until probably March (although I just got an insulated garage door so that might change things). Problem is, the garage is a flight of stairs away from either brewing area.

So you mean all of Canada is not white rocky mountains and police on horses with funny hats and smart uniforms? huh... Who'd have thunk it?

Chevette Girl
09-08-2011, 02:00 AM
So you mean all of Canada is not white rocky mountains and police on horses with funny hats and smart uniforms? huh... Who'd have thunk it?

I'll tellya another secret... we don't actually live in igloos either.

kudapucat
09-08-2011, 04:01 AM
Oh... :-(
But you do club baby seals and wear big fur coats right?

Chevette Girl
09-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Oh, no, fur is SO passť, it's plaid flannel jackets!

But the seal clubbing, now that's a national sport, kind of like your kangaroo-boxing down Under! ;D

kudapucat
09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Please, don't forget the cane toad races, or the annual desert regatta down the dry river bed, the Birdsville races, where you have to fly in in a light plane and land inside the racetrack, not to mention the crazy game we call "football".
We also have the longest fence in the world and the longest straight stretch of road and the biggest rock. We got all kinds of crazy here.
Ppl say everything's big in Texas, we've got privately owned cattle stations bigger than Texas!
I've not even started on the made up stuff yet ;-)

Why ppl think we ride kangaroos when there's so many real outdo things we do us beyond me. ;-)

TheAlchemist
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Eureka! My parents have a crabapple tree! How is it I didn't notice that before?! Another something to ferment! They're tiny tough.

Chevette Girl
09-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Crabapples? DO IT!!! You won't regret it! They make awesome jelly and applesauce too.

TheAlchemist
09-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Crabapples? DO IT!!! You won't regret it! They make awesome jelly and applesauce too.

HOw do you prepare them? They're so tiny. Small than my little fingernail.

Chevette Girl
09-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Shoot, that's an ornamental crabapple variety. The traditionally edible type are generally somewhere between the size of a grape and the size of a lime.

Take a bite of one, see what they're like, you might be able to mix them with some regular apples for colour and bite, if they're anything like the little purple ones I get, they've got a lot of colour but they'll be too tart and tannic to use alone. Stem 'em and crush them, I don't think there are too many bugs crazy enough to get into them but you could inspect 'em carefully and see if your bugs are crazier than ours, pick out anything wiggly, carry on...

I have one good use for them as is though - ornamental crabapple JAO - I smash a handful of them and toss them in with 3.5 lb honey and a teaspoon of bread yeast. They've got a nice amount of tartness and I've had really good reviews the couple of times I've made it that way. ... speaking of which, they're ripe here too... :rolleyes:

TheAlchemist
09-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Do you add the orange to your JAO or forget the orange and just do crabapple?

Chevette Girl
09-10-2011, 12:43 AM
No orange, no spices, just the little crabapples, honey, water and yeast. It's really well-balanced, I just finished the last of my first batch of it tonight:)

AToE
09-10-2011, 02:00 AM

We also have funny red turbins for the Sihks!

Oh... :-(
But you do club baby seals and wear big fur coats right?

I don't, but "we" do! Not the same people wearing the furs and clubbing the babies though, the furs people are eating the adults (raw). ;D

TheAlchemist
09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
A favorite treat:
place one pecan in a teaspoon
fill teaspoon with real maple syrup
eat.
Now if only I can find a way to replicate that with a mead!

Riverat
09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
A favorite treat:
place one pecan in a teaspoon
fill teaspoon with real maple syrup
eat.
Now if only I can find a way to replicate that with a mead!

Now that sound delish!
Also sounds like a challenge, anyone up to that? Sounds over my head but love to hear ideas on it!

Chevette Girl
09-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Pecan-maple mead. Dammit. My to-do list is supposed to be getting shorter not longer!!

TheAlchemist
09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
It's turning into fine mazing weather. Who knew I'd be commenting on "mazing weather?"

TheAlchemist
12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
I picked up 5 little licorice sticks(20gm) (REAL licorice) from Kamala's Own at the RenFaire this summer.
I wondered to myself "What would a honey with licorice sticks steeping in it taste like?"
So I soaked them in camden water, peeled them, split them and am steeping them in about 1# of clover honey.
So far I'm not impressed by the aroma or flavor, but it's only been a week.

TheAlchemist
12-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I picked up 5 little licorice sticks(20gm)...
I wondered to myself "What would a honey with licorice sticks steeping in it taste like?"

Answer:
Meh.

YogiBearMead726
12-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Answer:
Meh.

From my reading, boiling the licorice in some water for ~30 minutes, cooling, and mixing with honey would probably work better. I bet it would make a tasty hydromel...

Just one more thing for the to-do list! :)

Edit: Re-read your original idea and realized I totally missed it! Haha. Licorice honey sounds tasty, too bad it didn't work too well. Any plans to leave them in for even longer?

TheAlchemist
12-21-2011, 08:11 PM
I'm thinking I'll just take them out and make tea with them. The licorice did seem to take some of the viscosity out of the honey...strange, like the licorice let down some inner liquids of its own.

TheAlchemist
05-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Yesterday my brother cooked carrots on the grill...mmm I could brew me up some mead with carrots like that...

Chevette Girl
05-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reminder, I'd better get my purple carrots into the freezer before they go fuzzy, since they're not top of the to-brew list at the moment...

For a gallon of carrot wine, Terry Garey recommends simmering 5 lb finely sliced carrots 30-45 min until tender, and using the water. Add 10 bruised peppercorns if desired, then strain it all out and use the juice (then the carrots can be eaten separately, although I suppose if you ferment on the carrots you could use it for drunken carrot cake later). 3 lb honey, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, I'd also add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp yeast energizer if you have any. She also suggests using juice and zest of 3 oranges and 2 lemons so you'd need pectic enzyme if you followed that (this is a wine recipe originally, so we want to skip the acidity if making mead), but you could probably skip the pectic if you just used zest.

But using roasted carrots could be a really cool twist on this recipe, get a little of that caramelized bochet thing.

I think when I use my purple carrots in a mead, it'll be with 3 lb honey and I will grate the purple ones and ferment 'em raw (perhaps scalded to set the colour) and maybe I will roast any non-purple ones (I get 2 lb bags of mixed "heirloom" carrots with purple, white, orange, yellow and sometimes pink carrots), and use zest of a couple oranges.

TheAlchemist
05-29-2012, 04:44 PM
(then the carrots can be eaten separately, although I suppose if you ferment on the carrots you could use it for drunken carrot cake later).

But using roasted carrots could be a really cool twist on this recipe, get a little of that caramelized bochet thing.

Aack!
I'm so transparent!
Won't start getting my CSA carrots for a while, so I have some time to cogitate on my recipe.

TheAlchemist
09-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I think "Ferment that!"
About everything I see!
Carrots are on the to-do list for sure!

TheAlchemist
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm now taking a class called
Art For The Soul

Instead of thinking "I could ferment that" about everything I see...
I now think
"I could make art of that"
about all kinds of unexpected found objects.