View Full Version : 5 gallon peach mead

03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I am trying to decide upon a course of action here. I would like to make a 5 gallon batch of peach mead. Last year i made a 3 gallon batch 4 months after the start by putting 12 lbs. of fresh peaches in a 3 gallon carboy. Very good results. This year i have already started my first 15 gallon run and today i am planning on adding another 15gal to the meadroom. My question then is... What size carboy should i purchace to allow for 24 lbs. of peach? Plastic pail? or glass or stainless steel.

03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Personally, I see nothing wrong with using food grade plastic containers for primary fermentation. But your exact question is confusing me a bit. Are you doing 5 gallons of peach, which is part of a 15 gallon total? Or, are you planning on 15 gallons of peach ultimately? And, are you adding your fruit during primary fermentation, or only during secondary (after the honey has fermented completely dry)?

03-14-2011, 03:01 PM
If I can, I plan on doing 10gallons of peach and 5 gallons of strawberry. The 15 gallons is a very sweet mead and after 3 weeks has just settled to 1 bubble every minute. eventually i would like to take 5 gallons and "steep" it over the various fruits when they become ripe.

03-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Ah, OK. Then you're basically adding your fruit to your secondary fermenter/aging vessel. I'd use a carboy for that (for better control over oxidation than is possible with a bucket). You can opt for the Better Bottle brand of high density polyethylene containers, or go with glass. If 12 lbs of fruit gave you what you were looking for in a 3 gallon batch, then you'll need a 6 gallon carboy to handle 24 lbs of peaches in your larger batch.

03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd really be interested in your peach and strawberry recipes. BOTH are what I'm planning on brewing next as soon as I find some time.