PDA

View Full Version : Opened Bottles of Mead

sarend
03-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I know this question is geared more towards personal opinions than fact, but I need some opinions. When a bottle of mead is opened, how long until the taste is affected by oxygen?

My wife and I typically take 7-10 days to finish a 750 ml bottle of wine. We have a few of those decorative wine bottle toppers. Is this too long for mead? Should I bottle is the 375 ml bottles instead? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Stephen

Medsen Fey
03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, I have kept an open bottle of mead in the fridge for Months and still found it to be good. Traditional meads especially seem to be resistant to oxygen damage - much more resistant than wines. I have rarely tasted a wine that was open for a couple of weeks that wasn't off.

wayneb
03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
I agree with Medsen. In fact, I can attest to one case, where I had a bottle of half consumed traditional mead in the fridge (capped with one of those Vacuvin vacuum corks) for nearly 4 months. I pulled it out intending to use it only as a marinade ingredient, but when I tasted it, I didn't notice any gross signs of degradation - only a slight loss of aromatics.

AToE
03-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Melomels I've had turn unpleasant after a day or two, but I haven't seen a traditional go south yet, regardless of how long I left it in the fridge open (note that this is only a week or two personally, but I have no doubt a traditional could go longer).

Mead's definitely a lot tougher than wine, I agree with Medsen, after a day most wines are ruined in my experience (the odd one is OK, but that's rare).

chams
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
I've rarely tasted a white wine left open over-night in the fridge that didn't taste off to me. :)
I've left meads in the fridge much longer than that which seemed to be fine, so I concur with Medsen Fey. I guess it is individual taste, but as you can see, I seem pretty sensitive to off tastes.

sarend
03-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Outstanding. Thank you, everyone. I have not ventured into Melomels as of yet, so I feel better now. Take care, all.

Stephen

biochemedic
03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I also have found you can leave a mead open longer than most wines...I definitely like the vacuum resealers though....