PDA

View Full Version : Stuck fermentation with ginger mead. I can hear it fizzing.

Cor
03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I started this batch of mead 5 or 6 days ago and still no fermentation. I used I large piece of skinned ginger in this 5 gallon batch. I opened it up today and it smells very sweet and almost fruity. Also I can hear the must fizzing. Any suggestion on how I can get this on track.

It's warm enough.

It's sealed tight.

I can't figure it out.

Thanks

AToE
03-16-2011, 06:44 PM
I hope by "sealed tight" you mean with an airlock, or it could explode!

If it's fizzing then it's doing something for sure. Could you please post your entire recipe and process so we can evaluate what might be going on?

Also, what makes you think it's not fermenting? Have you taken hydrometer readings?

Welcome to the forums!

randrick
03-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Ok, I'm sure one of the experts (there are lots around here) will chime in but perhaps I can save one of them a bit of typing.

If you can hear it fizzing, what is it doing (or not doing) that makes you think it's stuck?

If you have a hydrometer, what was the reading when you started off? What is the reading now? If do not have a hydrometer, then buying one will be the best $10 investment in mead making you'll ever do.

And welcome.

Note: AToE posted while I was typing :)

Cor
03-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Yes it has an air lock and it in a brewing bucket. The only problem I see it that the air lock is not bubbling at all even after 5 day and not even when I push down on the lid.

I used
Just over 4 gallons of drinking water
15 pounds of honey
2 packets of Red Star champagne yeast
2 or 3 spoon fulls of yeast nutrient and yeast energizer
And about a fist of fresh ginger

triarchy
03-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I wont comment on your fermentation, but lets make this even more basic. If you push down on your fermenter cover and your airlock still doesnt bubble, thats a problem with something other than fermentation. Thats a problem that sounds more like a clogged or blocked airlock. Pushing the lid down should always make the airlock bubble a lot. Thats my .02.

AToE
03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Ok, buckets are notorious for having small leaks that can cause the airlock not to bubble. If it's fizzing I think we can safely say it's fermenting.

Definitely get your hands on a hydrometer, it's the single most important piece of equipment to anyone fermenting things!

TheAlchemist
03-16-2011, 07:29 PM
What does it smell like?
If you put a (clean!) spoon in there and give it a swirl, does it fizz about?
What does it taste like?

Your own healthy senses are an asset in mead making. Patience, too.

Cor
03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Alright I think AToE is right the bucket must have a small leak. I was expecting it the start bubbling in hours and thought the fizzing might be a sign of the ginger being to acidic.

Thanks for the info everyone.