PDA

View Full Version : transfering from primaryy

WIMARIPA
03-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Do you try to avid taking the sediment out when you move your mead out of primary. I know that sometime fruit and/ or spice are removed at that stage but are you trying to get rid of other sediment as well?

I've been primary fermenting in large opaque buckets making it difficult to see if there are any layers of sediment so I've pretty much been transferring everything to secondary.

Chevette Girl
03-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi, and welcome!

Generally when we move a must from primary (active) fermentation to secondary we try to leave as much of the sediment behind as possible, fruit bits left in too long can make odd tastes and if yeast become stressed they can also produce off flavours.

And don't worry if the SG isn't as low as it's likely to get, your must will still have enough yeast still suspended to finish whatever sugars may still be left by the time you rack.

I find even if I can't see the bottom of my bucket, siphoning using a racking cane with the little black cap on the end that prevents the end of the tube from touching the bottom of the carboy really helps. Also when siphoning with clear tubing, you can see if you're holding it too low, sudden cloudiness will get sucked through, just hold the tube a little higher in the carboy.

Right. Guess I should mention, I always hold onto the racking cane and the neck of the carboy or the lip of the lip of the bucket I'm racking from, so pulling the cane up a little higher is pretty easy.

wildoates
03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
I try to leave as much yeast/fruit bits/etc. behind in the primary bucket as I can. I have been known to pour the lees into a bottle, refrigerate it until the yeast settles down nice and firm, then I pour off the clear mead into the main batch. I'm just frugal like that.

Okay, okay, stingy. Happy now?! :rolleyes:

wildoates
03-16-2011, 10:40 PM
And welcome to Gotmead, our happy brewing home!

AToE
03-16-2011, 11:25 PM
If I'm not leaving stuff behind, why am I racking?

Though I totally know what you're saying, avoiding sediment in a bucket is much much harder than it is in a carboy, so a lot does always get transferred (plus lots is still in suspension).

TheAlchemist
03-17-2011, 06:21 PM
...I'm just frugal like that...

Frugal is good. I like frugal...

Allen Brown
03-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Wildoats, I'm with you. I had some egg white fining not dropping over an extended time, placed in the fridge, and it all dropped over night. I was able to harvest an additional 12 ounces!

But then I just drank it on the spot, without it even getting a chance to grow up ;D