PDA

View Full Version : Water question

DGettere
03-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Is carbon filtered water the best thing to use for mead making? I ask because I have a whole house filter that has that. I was getting just the
poly wound fiber cartridges, but they dont remove chlorine so I moved to the more expensive charcoal ones. My municipal water is pretty good, so I figure it should be OK. What do pro's use? RO?

Medsen Fey
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Basically any water that is good tasting to drink can be used to make good mead. Using charcoal filtered water is fine. I usually use spring water. It is not clear what difference various mineral components may make in meads, though water with more minerals (not iron) may be advantageous. That question is being asked and Akueck has a comparison going (I think that's in a Patron's thread) which may teach us all something.

akueck
03-18-2011, 12:04 AM
That question is being asked and Akueck has a comparison going (I think that's in a Patron's thread) which may teach us all something.

I swear the finished products are going to the lab next week! I plan to ship a pair of bottles to Wayne for (informal) evaluation at Mazer Cup as well.