PDA

View Full Version : B-Day puchase

chiguire
03-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I have some b-day money and I am thinking of a couple of purchases. I feel fairly comfortable with the brewing equipment that I have so far - but I have been contemplating a couple of purchases

1) Portuguese floor corker
I have bottled all of my brews so far in crown cap bottles and I am thinking about classing it up a bit

2) Nitrogen tank and regulator. I could use something better than my small Co2 chargers to top off headspace....

What think ye?

Medsen Fey
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Floor corker.
The only things I'd keep ahead of my floor corker are my hydrometer, my pH meter and my mouth. :)

wildoates
03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
I already have a very nice floor corker, so I vote t'other choice. :)

wayneb
03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Corker. N2 is a nice to have but not necessary. If you ever want to present your mead in wine bottles, the corker is essential.

mmclean
03-17-2011, 06:44 PM
I'd go with the floor corker. :cool:

chams
03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Corker me corker. ;D

chiguire
03-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks all, for the input.

A Portuguese floor corker will be the purchase.

After catching the title error, "puchase", I am embarrassed. :) Would that be pronounced poochase or puhchase....?

Tannin Boy
03-18-2011, 06:05 AM
The floor corker would and was my first priority.
Yet the o2 system sure makes sparging so much easier...
Buy both a spoil the hell out of yourself!!

TB

Chevette Girl
03-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I'd go for the floor corker too...

and for pronunciation of your typo, I'd say "puhchase"...

chiguire
03-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Portuguese floor corker purchased :)

TheAlchemist
03-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Portuguese floor corker purchased :)

Good on ya, Mate.

Golddiggie
03-18-2011, 11:26 PM
I have one of those too... It's really sweet... The only 'issue' I have with it is corking Belgian bottles, since you leave a certain amount of cork exposed. I've pretty much got it dialed in for that though. I just dread the day that I use it to bottle up mead and then have to set the depth all over again. :o

wildoates
03-19-2011, 04:07 PM
Changing the depth on mine is easy, all we do is spin the nut. But mine's Italian, not portuguese. I'm sure that makes soooo much of a difference.

Congrats on your purchase! If you're like me when I got mine a couple of years ago, you'll go on a corking frenzy, wanting to bottle everything you have, even if it's not ready.
:rolleyes:

When mine came it billed itself as the Cadillac of corkers, but I thought that if it's Italian, shouldn't it be the Ferrari of corkers?

chiguire
03-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Congrats on your purchase! If you're like me when I got mine a couple of years ago, you'll go on a corking frenzy, wanting to bottle everything you have, even if it's not ready.

Ha! No - I only have a five gallon batch of mead going right now that will not be ready to bottle for another month or so.

Unfortunately I am going to be displaced this summer for a job in Houston, so probably no brewing for me until the fall :(

JayH
03-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Well if you don't know anybody in Tuscan who is willing to make sure your mead doesn't feel forgotten, I have a couple of friends that I'm sure would be glad to drop by once or twice a week to just to make sure it hasn't gone bad.

Any way my condolences on being stuck in Houston for the summer.

chiguire
03-20-2011, 01:49 AM
I have a couple of friends that I'm sure would be glad to drop by once or twice a week to just to make sure it hasn't gone bad.

;D I think they'll be alright... It will make it easier for me to leave them alone and let them age though.