PDA

View Full Version : First sign I'm becoming a better brewer

schlapppy
03-18-2011, 11:38 PM
My blueberry melomel has a layer of dust on the carboy.

wildoates
03-19-2011, 01:09 AM
Congratulations. :)

Golddiggie
03-19-2011, 03:11 AM
ummmmm, that just means you either don't have it covered, or you don't dust very often, or both...

My current batches are going on 4 months in carboys. I'm already making plans on how to age them through the summer, so that I can bottle them up come fall (if not later)... My blackberry melomel is probably going to be bottled first, since it had the lowest OG. The traditional batches could be closer to the winter holiday season.

Of course, once I'm fermenting/aging in SS then I won't need to cover them up like I do now (to block light from touching them)...

icedmetal
03-19-2011, 03:51 AM
No need to cover your mead if you block all sources of UV from reaching them... blackout curtains for the win.

wildoates
03-19-2011, 02:40 PM
No need to cover your mead if you block all sources of UV from reaching them... blackout curtains for the win.

Yep. Mine are in a dark closet, no need to cover them. But you want to know my sign of being less of a brewing noob?

Usually it goes like this: We're bottling tomorrow, need to wash bottles today, what a pain. This week we've FINALLY just put bottles in a vat of PBW so the next day we can simply swish them out in some hot water and put them on the bottle tree to dry. Then they'll go upside-down in their box until bottling day, et voila! If you do this every day eventually you'll take the bite out of bottling, which, to me, anyway, is actually quite enjoyable--if you don't have to remove labels from the bottles at the same time.

Trying to use that ol' frontal lobe to do some planning ahead for a change. :)

We have a huge family reunion over Memorial Day weekend every year, and we're trying to make some beer to bring--we've made 3 batches so far, and have at least one more to go. Fun! Don't forget that if you're in Central California that weekend, you're welcome to join us for 3 days of food, drink, and lies told around the BBQ pit. :)

JayH
03-19-2011, 03:09 PM
You're in luck, I will be in England that weekend, otherwise I might just have shown up, Last year I spent it in Fresno with my brother.