PDA

View Full Version : Vintner's Harvest Fruit Wine Base - Cherry

wy_white_wolf
03-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Hi,

Has anyone used this in making mead? I'm thinking of following the 5 gallon wine recipe on the can and substitute 15lbs of honey for the 12lbs of suger.

Basic ingedients:

1 - 96 oz cherry fruit wine base
15lbs honey
2 tsp - acid blend
4 tsp - Yeast Nutrient
2.5 tsp Pectic enzyme
1/2 tsp wine tannin
5 campden tablets
1 packet yeast (haven't determined yet)

Any suggestions on changes?

I've made a few batches of JAOM over the last year that all turned out great. Tried a couple of other meads with limited luck.

Thanks.

AToE
03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Definitely drop the acid blend addition at the beginning, it can make things difficult for the yeast. Acid additions are best done after fermentation is complete - ideally after 5 or 6 months of aging (so you can accurately evalute whether it even needs any acid), and then done to taste, not by a random amount.

You shouldn't need the campden tablets at all either, they're unnecessary here.

wy_white_wolf
03-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions

Medsen Fey
03-20-2011, 04:14 PM
The Campden tablets will be useful to add after fermentation to help protect the color during aging.

I too prefer to wait on the acid, though adding it is unlikely to cause a problem in a melomel like this as the fruit will provide enough buffering capacity to prevent drastic pH drops.

The amount of honey depends on what you want to end up with; sweet or dry; low or high ABV? That will also impact yeast choice. However you decide to go, I would go by gravity and not by the weight of honey so that you get the result you want.

And Welcome to GotMead!

wy_white_wolf
03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Guess what I want is a med to semi-sweet after dinner mead that could be used as a dinner mead with the right meal.

I didn't have any experiance with making wine or beer before starting my first batch of JAO. I have made several batches of kit wines since then to try and gain experience and knowledge.

I think these are about the final numbers I may want.

FG - 1.010 to 1.015
ABV - 12-13%

I haven't back sweetened anything yet. Maybe this might be a good one to learn that on. So a SG of 1.100 might be about right if I can get it to ferment to dry than backsweeten with honey/cherry juice.

I'm thinking 71B-1122 for the yeast mostly because that's what I've been using with good luck but would consider any other suggestions.

Thanks WWW

AToE
03-20-2011, 06:58 PM
71B is probably a good choice, it's my go-to yeast for a lot of meads, and always the first one I'll recommend to people who aren't really comfortable with a lot of fermentation management (staggered nutrients, aeration, though those do work well with 71B, it's just also totally happpy being left alone with minimal nutrients).