PDA

View Full Version : I have a good sword

Chevette Girl
03-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Chevette: hmm...that's actually a good idea. Except for the country wine. I'd rather drink directly from the toilet. I don't like coffee either ;)

If you're ever in Ottawa (yeah, I know, about as much chance as me coming to Oslo), come by for some of my red currant wine, it kicks SO much ass you'll forgive it for not having honey in it. The black currant wine too, for that matter... I got into fruit wines because I don't care for grape wines and I like making things out of local harvests, and one can only make and eat so much jam and jelly, and I've found that a lot of fruits completely cover the taste of the honey, which is why I suggested it, there have been times when sampling my wares where I had to go back to my log book to figure out if I'd used honey or sugar before I started labelling them as such, I really couldn't tell.

wildoates
03-11-2011, 02:36 AM
You never know about Oslo, CG--I certainly never expected to go there, but my son went and fell for a Norwegian girl and she stole my boy from his mamma's clutches, er...I mean loving arms...and spirited him off to Oslo. Life has some twists and turns sometimes!

Tiwas
03-11-2011, 03:04 AM
You never know about Oslo, CG--I certainly never expected to go there, but my son went and fell for a Norwegian girl and she stole my boy from his mamma's clutches, er...I mean loving arms...and spirited him off to Oslo. Life has some twists and turns sometimes!

Well...I, for one, would never trust someone who'd willingly move to Norway. Can't be right in the head :p

wayneb
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Hmmm...never been to Ottawa. Actually never been to Canada. I hear there a loads of cute girls down there :D
Except in mid-Winter, when most of them temporarily relocate to Florida! ;D

AToE
03-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Oh we still have cute girls, they're just impossible to see under their parkas. ;D

Tiwas
03-11-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm used to unpacking girls, and I actually kind of prefer it. :) Oh...and cute girls need extra body heat to keep them from freezing ;)

AToE
03-11-2011, 04:08 PM
From the North!

(weird inside heavy metal joke)

Chevette Girl
03-13-2011, 02:44 AM
Except in mid-Winter, when most of them temporarily relocate to Florida! ;D

I thought it was the older "girls" going to Florida in winter... it's just Spring Break when the young ones end up there... :D

Tiwas
03-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Soooo...who's going to make a complete timeline with map of the migrations of single girls between 25 and 35? I'd hate to end up in Florida when it's filled with 16 year olds, and I'm not into geriatrics :p

TheAlchemist
03-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Soooo...who's going to make a complete timeline with map of the migrations of single girls between 25 and 35? I'd hate to end up in Florida when it's filled with 16 year olds, and I'm not into geriatrics :p

Hey!
You callin' any cute girl over 35 "geriatric!?"

Tiwas
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey!

haha! No - there are lots of women over 35 who are sexy as...uhm...something very sexy :p However, since I'm 37 and don't have kids I want someone who are as likely as possible to have kids. And...most women over 40 are done with the stage of their lives ;)

Chevette Girl
03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey!

Yeah, I resemble that remark!!

;D

wildoates
03-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I was done having kids at 25, almost 30 years ago now. And even if I wasn't, I'm short and round and far from the stereotypical California girl, more's the pity. But I guess both grass and girls are greener in some other country, or at least on the other side of the fence. :cool: if you want to meet some California girls (sans parkas), Tiwas, hitch a ride with the kids when they come in May. You can spend two weeks searching for a young miss who won't move to Oslo. :rolleyes: Plus, if he hasn't left on his grand adventure yet, you can meet Aaron, who always has both brewing ideas and things to taste!

And I'm laughing my tukus off to hear someone talk about going "down" to Canada. Snort!

AToE
03-19-2011, 07:09 PM
And I'm laughing my tukus off to hear someone talk about going "down" to Canada. Snort!

That made me laugh too! We used to have a segment on a comedy show called "Talking to Americans" where the guy would go down to the USA and pretend to be getting people's opinion on serious issues in Canada - stuff like the seal hunt in Alberta (land locked), the melting of our National Igloo due to global warming (he told them our Parliment building was made of snow), and our President "John Poutine" doing this or that. The best was when he went to Harvard and got the professors talking about all kinds of insane things that could never possibly be true.

Anyways, this made me think of that because there was one whole segment of people saying "good luck with the seal hunt to our Canadian friends to the south" (I wonder if those people thought Mexico was north?).

To be fair though (we Canadians like a good joke, but even then feel the need to be nice about it) every segment would have Americans also catching the guy in lies - funny thing was it was usually the children who would say something like "Hang on, Canada has provinces not states!".

I'm sure the same show could be done in reverse, getting Canadians saying ridiculous things about Americans. ;D

chams
03-19-2011, 11:34 PM
LOL! One batch!! In a year!! Silly man!! Bwahaahaahaahaa!!!! :happy6:

OK, seriously, I realize honey's painfully expensive for you. You could also branch out into country wines as well, using whatever fruit's available and sugar as you main fermentable :)

Chevette Girl, when you use sugar as your fermentable, what kind do you use?
If it's just regular table sugar, do you use it as is, or do you invert it?
The skeeter pee recipe which was referred to in the forum mentions heating table sugar with water and lemon juice to invert it.
I'm curious if this is required, or just makes the ferment easier.

chams
03-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Upon some other reading it seems I'm more confused. Some say to invert the table sugar, and some say it's debatable...
Apparently, the yeast with citric acid will split the sucrose into glucose and fructose as the first stage of ferment anyway.
Inquiring minds want to know. ???

Tiwas
03-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Most places are "down" to us - http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-outline-map.htm

...which is probably why *we* "discovered" america (never mind the indians and eskimos already there :p ) - we just went down stream until we hit something :p

chams
03-20-2011, 11:57 AM
How true. The Norse were probably drinking meade in down in Newfoundland long before Columbus "discovered" America. ;D
BTW, we Canucks in Ontario call it "down east" as well. It's down river after all.

wildoates
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh, I realize the geography of it, but when you live in the US which is capped by Canada, it sounds as wrong as someone from my neck of the woods saying they're going "up" to Los Angeles. Just doesn't compute. I live at 38 degrees N latitude, and my DiL's hometown--Kristiansand--is at 58. Oslo's more north than that, so, yeah, most places are "down" to Norway.

I've always envisioned our Nordic forfathers and mothers quaffing mead as well, and the romantic in me was very disappointed to find that modern Norwegians not only don't drink it, but don't even know what it is! I'm glad you're about changing that a bit, Tiwas. My son in Oslo brews, but only beer. Mead takes too long.
:rolleyes:

Tiwas
03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Thing is, I'm pretty sure discovering America was no biggie. The miracle was them finding their way back. If the tales of the Vikings are true, they must've been sh*tfaced most of the time :p

Tiwas
03-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Oh, I realize the geography of it, but when you live in the US which is capped by Canada, it sounds as wrong as someone from my neck of the woods saying they're going "up" to Los Angeles. Just doesn't compute. I live at 38 degrees N latitude, and my DiL's hometown--Kristiansand--is at 58. Oslo's more north than that, so, yeah, most places are "down" to Norway.

I'm still trying to convince the Danish to take that part of Norway :p

I've always envisioned our Nordic forfathers and mothers quaffing mead as well, and the romantic in me was very disappointed tfind that modern Norwegians not only don't drink it, but don't even know what it is! I'm glad you're about changing that a bit, Tiwas. My son in Oslo brews, but only beer. Mead takes too long.
:rolleyes:

If he hadn't gone and found a place in Kristiansand (:eek:) I'd might consider visiting him and teach him how to drink and swordfight :D

But seriously...ever since the Christians came, Asatru, and even norse history, has been kind of politically incorrect. Funny thing is that if you look at the old stave churches, they have runes carved into them all over. Brewing mead was actually outlawed for a few centuries, and so were writing down our history. Even when I was in school, which isn't that long ago, teachers weren't allowed to teach us about our ancestor's culture. We red a little about Eric the Red and how the "evil" vikings were conquered by the "good, christian" vikings, but never the rest.

Did you know that the last known scandinavian killed for being a pagan was in the middle of the 1800s ? The church tried to force a danish farmer to convert, and when he didn't, they killed his whole family. When he still wouldn't, as he no longer had any reason to, they hung him. That's like only 160 years ago...:S The largest written archive about vikings were actually located in Alexandria

So...we're kind of retarded when it comes to our own heritage.

mmclean
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
So...we're kind of retarded when it comes to our own heritage.

This is a shame, but please don't confuse the "Church" with Christians.

Tiwas
03-20-2011, 01:52 PM
This is a shame, but please don't confuse the "Church" with Christians.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on any toes, but up here they're kind of the same. We even have an official religion, and when you're born you're entered into the church as a member. You have to apply to get out.

But I do understand it's not like that everywhere :)

wildoates
03-20-2011, 03:33 PM
But I do understand it's not like that everywhere

Definitely not here, it's in our Constitution: the government cannot form a national religion and they cannot require anyone to join one. Here we choose our religion, or lack thereof.

People in Norway are shockingly secular, at least to this Christian. Empty churches, so sad.

If he hadn't gone and found a place in Kristiansand I'd might consider visiting him and teach him how to drink and swordfight

Oh, he's in Oslo, and already knows how to drink. :)

Tiwas
03-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh, he's in Oslo, and already knows how to drink. :)

That's what I thought you'd said before. Have to check when "bring swords to work day" is ;)

Chevette Girl
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Chevette Girl, when you use sugar as your fermentable, what kind do you use?
If it's just regular table sugar, do you use it as is, or do you invert it?
The skeeter pee recipe which was referred to in the forum mentions heating table sugar with water and lemon juice to invert it.
I'm curious if this is required, or just makes the ferment easier.

First I've really heard about inverting sugar, I just use white sugar bought in bulk, straight from the bag, boiled in water to dissolve it. My yeasties seem to do fine on it so far, any issues I've had are more likely to be lack of oxygenation and nutrients than overexerting my yeasties.

Chevette Girl
03-21-2011, 08:01 PM
That's what I thought you'd said before. Have to check when "bring swords to work day" is ;)

Hallowe'en has always worked for me... although the sword I brought to work was a dull practice blade (although still steel), everyone was still impressed with the chain mail vest...

Tiwas
03-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Hallowe'en has always worked for me... although the sword I brought to work was a dull practice blade (although still steel), everyone was still impressed with the chain mail vest...

Which reminds me that I still have a 50% complete maille that I need to finish.

My blades are also dull, but at 7kg it's still sharp enough to do damage ;)

Chevette Girl
03-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Which reminds me that I still have a 50% complete maille that I need to finish.

My blades are also dull, but at 7kg it's still sharp enough to do damage ;)

Heh, I have since moved on to articulated plate...

7 kg!!! Holy crap, what are you swinging, an angle-iron claymore?? Mine's only 3 lbs!!

Tiwas
03-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Heh, I have since moved on to articulated plate...

7 kg!!! Holy crap, what are you swinging, an angle-iron claymore?? Mine's only 3 lbs!!

Mine's a period "replica" ("replica" since it's my own design and is somewhere between a highlander and viking sword) broadsword. Since it's not for fencing "the fro...french way" it should be heavier. It's not for slicing and dicing - it's for cutting and maiming ;)

Tiwas
03-22-2011, 01:41 AM
That kind of reminds me of the first time my girlfriend came over (a few weeks ago). First she was like "oh, you're brewing mead? That's so cool!". Then she was like "oh...you have three full contact training swords? And you designed them yourself? They're really beautiful, but...you're not the kind of guy who dresses up and goes to fairs, are you?". Just waiting for her reaction when she sees what I'm knitting :D

wayneb
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
All right - this has absolutely nothing to do with ingredients for mead, but since all of you are talking about dressing up and banging bits of metal around, I feel compelled to post this pic showing that I used to play "dress up" from time to time in years past, too. ;D

For the record, I used to participate in a Polish Hussar re-creation group in Southern California, along with my buddy, Rik Fox, who first organized the group. This pic is from about 7 years ago. Rik is the "real hussar" in the back left, I'm the guy on the right in back, and my two sons (both of whom are taller than I am now) are down in front.

TheAlchemist
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
I do love the RenFaire crowd!

Tiwas
03-22-2011, 11:50 AM
My armor's not done yet, but I like to think along the lines of "if I didn't make, I ain't wearing it", so I've never dressed up (like that). What was really amazing, though, was the aussie crowd. One group even had a tank they'd transported from Europe and fixed up. Those were wearing nazi uniforms and driving around in their nazi tank - and even though I don't like the ideology (don't know what ideology the people in the group had) I do see the fact that the nazis were a pretty awesome force, and I applaud the fact that they actually got themselves a tank. Now *that's* commitment :)

Chevette Girl
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice pic, Wayne!

A tank? Wow. And yeah, not sure what I think about the nazi part of that either, but still a pretty impressive recreation!

Erm, yeah, when we drill for show, we bring out the metal blades but when we spar, we use padded wood swords, and most of our sparring shields are plastic made from 55 gal drums (it's lighter than plywood!) and you'll never find something that looks exactly like my armour in a book anywhere, although similar bits and pieces will be strewn all over... if we didn't work with padded practice weapons, I'd never have blued my armour (OK, purpled, I pulled it out of the oven before it got blue). Recreation's all good and well, but so is safety when you're training like a martial art. And for the record, a 3 lb dull steel stage blade will still go through a pumpkin just fine if your strike is aligned... I think I'd be able to swing your monstrosity about twice before I ran out of energy or my elbows told me NO. :)

Oh, and the first piece of plate armour I ever made was for my pony... here's a link since apparently my 104 KB file exceeds 1.91 MB (https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11636&id=100000433302346&l=95dda27b69) :p

And one of these days I need to attend a real ren faire...

Tiwas
03-24-2011, 01:56 AM
I think I'd be able to swing your monstrosity about twice before I ran out of energy or my elbows told me NO. :)

Nah, you'd be fine. The only thing you'd have to remember is that you never stop the movement or momentum of the blade. For me, being pretty strong, I like to stop it mid-movement and change to a stabbing action. Always takes people off their guard :D

wildoates
03-24-2011, 02:14 AM
Clearly I'm embarrassingly deficient in the armor department!

But I do have recipes. Lots of recipes. :)

Tiwas
03-24-2011, 02:18 AM
Clearly I'm embarrassingly deficient in the armor department!

But I do have recipes. Lots of recipes. :)

Please share? :icon_farao:

Chevette Girl
03-25-2011, 12:57 AM
Nah, you'd be fine. The only thing you'd have to remember is that you never stop the movement or momentum of the blade. For me, being pretty strong, I like to stop it mid-movement and change to a stabbing action. Always takes people off their guard :D

Gaah, no, 8 years of stopping a very light blade in Iaido has fragged my elbows to the point where I barely do anything without braces on anymore. I likes my German sword-and-board style, strikes are all just holding the sword in the correct position and the power comes from the hips...

And Wildoates, in theory, you shouldn't need armour for the sport of meadmaking anyway :) (and no drinking and fighting!)

Tiwas
03-25-2011, 01:40 AM
(and no drinking and fighting!)

For crying out loud - live a little, will you?? :p hehe

Chevette Girl
03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
For crying out loud - live a little, will you?? :p hehe

Well... that's our OFFICIAL stand, anyway :)

...nothing like having a cop pull over when you're loading the van with axes and swords (including the unsheathed battleblade) for a demonstraion and ask, "So... what are you folks up to?" ... we gave her the business card and explained, and invited her to the annual pumpkin massacre...

Tiwas
03-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Here's my little baby. Used to have it either strapped to my back or the sheath (sp?) mounted on the fork of my HD when driving to practice :)

wayneb
03-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Since the thread was more or less hijacked into a very tangential topic, I decided that the most recent posts really better fit over here in the Hive.

havoc64
03-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Gaah, no, 8 years of stopping a very light blade in Iaido has fragged my elbows to the point where I barely do anything without braces on anymore. I likes my German sword-and-board style, strikes are all just holding the sword in the correct position and the power comes from the hips...

And Wildoates, in theory, you shouldn't need armour for the sport of meadmaking anyway :) (and no drinking and fighting!)

Wow small world, I studied Iaido in Okinawa and met and photographed Dr. Gordon Warner, Got his autograph in two of his books to boot.

I wish I could find an instructor here in Topeka.

AToE
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I love swords, I keep meaning to put away money a little bit at a time to save up for a real katana, and I also keep meaning to go sign up for kendo classes... man, so many things I need to do!

Tiwas
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Always wanted to try Iaido myself, but stuck with Judo and Jijitsu ;)

Chevette Girl
03-26-2011, 02:28 AM
Since the thread was more or less hijacked into a very tangential topic, I decided that the most recent posts really better fit over here in the Hive.

Thanks, Wayne. I know it was way off topic but it was too good a discussion to just drop :)

Chevette Girl
03-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Always wanted to try Iaido myself, but stuck with Judo and Jijitsu ;)

I prefer Aikido for my empty-handed work, I've been doing that close to ten years... although we Aikidoists as a group can't swing a sword worth beans if you know anything of Iaido :D Although my Aikido sensei does hold a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, so he knows what actually works in a real combat...

Kendo and Iaido work well together, you learn katas which teach the control of the sword and how to use it through Iaido, and you learn actual combat through Kendo. But if I absolutely must fight with a sword, I really prefer to have a shield... although two swords will do in a pinch... I can't wield a two-handed sword properly with my breastplate on, I can't get my arms close enough together! Gotta go with the chain mail on those days...

Havoc, that's cool! I'm not that well-read so I don't know of Dr. Warner but I'll ask my Iaido sensei next class... my sensei has gone to Japan a couple of times but my own practice is somewhat casual, been doing it eight years and never graded... I specifically made myself a purple plaid hakama so nobody could make me challenge, and was practicing with a grooved boken and plastic sheath (saia) up until very recently...

My new baby is an aluminum Iaito (dull practice blade with a groove that whistles when your strike is correct) that was made in Japan (rather than the more common Chinese-made blades that aren't always so balanced), it's beautifully balanced and doesn't mess up my elbows, I was even having problems with the grooved boken because of the balance (or lack thereof)... it doesn't hurt if I hit something, but stopping the sword mid-strike just hurts too much these days. I got it through my sensei's sensei...

I actually work for an international arms dealer... ;D he imports mostly Chinese-made weapons from the 'States for sale in Canada. For the most part, the manufacturer turns out quite good products and as I understand, it's a good company to work for there, not a sweat-shop...if you look carefully, there are still faint hammer-marks in my 1-hand broadblade... and from what I've seen of their katanas and other Japanese blades, they're reasonably well balanced.

AToE
03-26-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm obsessed with the forging process of katanas, the mix of high and low carbon steel, the folding, and especially that special tempering of only the cutting edge.

It's a dumb show (really dumb) but deadliest warrior had an episode with Samurai and it was startling what a katana can do (cut slice off the top of a skull so cleanly it looked like it'd been done with a fine saw. Every other weapon on that show would shatter bones while cutting like that).

There are lots of killer weapons, but it's just something about the whole forging process that makes me love them (plus I like the general size/weight).

Chevette Girl
03-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Ooh, yeah... one thing I do sort of miss about the aluminum blade is the lovely patterns you get from the clay they put over the spine of the steel blades to get differential cooling to put the curve in the blade... I know it has a name but I can't remember and am too lazy to go look it up :p

I saw that episode, and yeah, having done tamishigiri practice (cutting rolled up and soaked straw mats with a sharp katana), if the blade is aligned correctly, you don't even feel it, and there's no need to put any force into the strike... one year I even took the tip off the broomstick we use to hold up the rolled straw mats, never even felt it through the blade...

AToE
03-26-2011, 03:15 AM
I can't remember the name of that either, definitely looks cool though. I've never seen a high quality one in person though (doesn't just show up on aluminum blades though right? It's anything done with that differential tempering?).

Chevette Girl
03-26-2011, 03:19 AM
It only shows up on steel blades and they generally apply clay or something to prevent the spine from tempering so there's still some flexibility to the blade while the edge is hard enough to keep a good edge.

Some of them have very nice paterns, some are just a wavy line. Some of my friends are collectors so I've seen some really nice specimens :)

I don't know if aluminum can even be tempered (I'll ask my hubby, he knows more metallurgy than I do).

AToE
03-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Oh ok, I'd missunderstood your post, I thought you were saying you missed aluminum because of those patterns, but now I get that you meant you missed that about steel since switching to aluminum!

Chevette Girl
03-26-2011, 03:28 AM
You got it... but really, the loss of the pretty patterns on a sword is a small price to pay to reduce pain associated with swinging anything heavier than my magical weightless blade...

wildoates
03-26-2011, 11:12 AM
I don't have a sword and have never even given one a swing (I've obviously led a sadly sheltered life compared to you folks) but I freely admit to enjoying the fantasy of swords and armor much more than the reality. :o

Chevette Girl
03-27-2011, 02:09 AM
I did roleplaying games mostly in the fantasy genre for years and years before I ever got a chance to swing a real sword :)

...and the reality of armour is it's hot, it's frigging heavy, you get tired a lot faster hauling it around and it's also somewhat restrictive, even when it's well-made...

wildoates
03-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I mean about the fantasy of it. :) I maintain that WoW is a game for people who like the fantasy but don't want to actually go out and get dirty and sweaty with the real thing, let alone get bloody.
;)

Chevette Girl
03-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I mean about the fantasy of it. :) I maintain that WoW is a game for people who like the fantasy but don't want to actually go out and get dirty and sweaty with the real thing, let alone get bloody.
;)

I play LOTRO, myself. But I prefer tabletop D&D.

And if you wear enough armour (with good underpadding), you don't get bloody! ;D

Tiwas
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Blood is speed for your senses. In all martial arts, even though the aim is to not get hurt at all, the smell and taste of your own blood sure gets you going in high gear :D

Chevette Girl
03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Blood is speed for your senses. In all martial arts, even though the aim is to not get hurt at all, the smell and taste of your own blood sure gets you going in high gear :D

Actually, that's when I stop, because if I fight while on adrenaline, someone's getting seriously hurt (probably me) and I don't want to do that.

For me, few things compare to being thrown hard into a well-executed breakfall that doesn't hurt at all.

Tiwas
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Actually, that's when I stop, because if I fight while on adrenaline, someone's getting seriously hurt (probably me) and I don't want to do that.

For me, few things compare to being thrown hard into a well-executed breakfall that doesn't hurt at all.

I see your point, and we all react differently. When I get hurt (as long as it's not major) , I tend to get a lot more feedback from my senses, which helps me execute in better form. Plus - if I get angry, I get calculating. Not to hurt the other player, but I start planning 20 steps ahead instead of just 5 or 10 ;)

TheAlchemist
04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
That kind of reminds me of the first time my girlfriend came over (a few weeks ago). First she was like "oh, you're brewing mead? That's so cool!". Then she was like "oh...you have three full contact training swords? And you designed them yourself? They're really beautiful, but...you're not the kind of guy who dresses up and goes to fairs, are you?". Just waiting for her reaction when she sees what I'm knitting :D

Gotta ask:
What are you knitting?

Tiwas
04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Gotta ask:
What are you knitting?

Guess it's more "knitting" than knitting ;) It's chain maille armor and chain maille inspired jewelry :) It's not feminine if it's done with pliers! It's not, I'm telling you! :p

Gespacho
04-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Never thought I'd see a topic like this on a Mead making forum. :)

The chain mail and the swords sound pretty cool. I've never really had the time or the patience to make the weapons myself. I don't even make my own staffs. The wood around here is terrible. Since I'm too lazy to read through 4 pages of comments, do you practice any empty handed fighting Tiwas?

Btw, chain mail is MUCH manlier than a sweater.

Tiwas
04-12-2011, 07:09 PM
The chain mail and the swords sound pretty cool. I've never really had the time or the patience to make the weapons myself. I don't even make my own staffs. The wood around here is terrible. Since I'm too lazy to read through 4 pages of comments, do you practice any empty handed fighting Tiwas?

If nothing else, you should try making jewelry. Girls love it :D

I'm a judo brown belt (couldn't bother with the kata, so didn't go for black), in addition to krav maga, jijitsu and brazilian jijitsu, kick boxing and some other sports I've just tried for the fun of itt. Nothing after I tore the ligament in my left knee, though...How about you?

Btw, chain mail is MUCH manlier than a sweater.

haha - glad you approved. My girlfriend keeps switching beween calling me a nerd and "refreshingly different" (I don't look too geeky, or so I've been told). I'm going to get her a t-shirt saying something like "my <3 got h4x0r3d" ;)

Gespacho
04-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I started out the opposite. I started learning mixed, and then specialized. I'm lucky that one of the 3 major families teaching Hung Gar moved to Calgary some time ago. I've been learning from them for almost 10 years now. I'm trying to take it easy now, though. Chronic injury on my right elbow. Gotta keep the joints I have left in good shape. ;D

I've gotta find a shirt like that for my fiance! The first time I made her dinner she walked in, saw the weapons rack, and said "you're a nerd!". The relationship took off from there.

wildoates
04-12-2011, 08:14 PM
I'm buying my tickets to the May 7 Scottish Games in Woodland, that's as close as I get to any of that. Although I do make jewelry, so far it hasn't brought me any fellas, and anyway, even if it did they might not be the type I'd be interested in. ;)

Gespacho
04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Didn't the highland games get started as a way to practice fighting when the English wouldn't let them use weapons?

wildoates
04-12-2011, 08:25 PM
I have no idea, I don't actually have any Scots in me that I know of--I just love manly men in kilts throwing heavy things. And the music...love the music.

My son has a kilt, which he occasionally wears in Norway, it's not nearly as common there as you see it here, though. If I bad the moolah, I'd buy him a sword and have Tiwas teach him how to use it. :)

Chevette Girl
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I started out the opposite. I started learning mixed, and then specialized. I'm lucky that one of the 3 major families teaching Hung Gar moved to Calgary some time ago. I've been learning from them for almost 10 years now. I'm trying to take it easy now, though. Chronic injury on my right elbow. Gotta keep the joints I have left in good shape. ;D

I've gotta find a shirt like that for my fiance! The first time I made her dinner she walked in, saw the weapons rack, and said "you're a nerd!". The relationship took off from there.

That's awesome that you've got good instruction!!

I just obtained my second kyu ranking in Aikido last week (then first kyu then black belt, been there almost ten years but hate grading so several people who started years after I did have gotten their black belts already), and I totally understand the need to keep the remaining joints functional. Thankfully Aikido usually helps my osteoarthritic knee, but my wrists are going to take a while to recover from helping my other friends practicing for THEIR gradings... elbows are chronically screwed but that's at least only soft tissue damage :p

The nice thing with Aikido is that you can accommodate injuries, I've gone to class with a sprained neck (multiple times, actually, another chronic problem) and still gotten something out of it... we've revised many techniques because of different body abilities for a lot of the students.

And the weapons rack over the fireplace mantle only has one metal-bladed weapon in regular residence, the European broadblades live in the foyer, closer to the car... my husband made me the weapons rack for my birthday one year :)

Hey, Wildoates, what kind of jewelry do you make? I do wirework and mostly Native-inspired beadwork (seed beads)... and I totally wanna get my hubby in a kilt... I'm closer to being Scottish than he is though :)

And right now my swordhandling group is practicing/coming up with ideas for two demonstrations we're doing at local Medieval festivals... it seems to be catching on in the area, maybe one of these years there will be a full ren-faire!

wildoates
04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I make various things, I see something and it makes me think of something and I've got to try it. I've got an Etsy shop, but nothing's presently in it.

My hobbies are all expensive!

Tiwas
04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
I have no idea, I don't actually have any Scots in me that I know of--I just love manly men in kilts throwing heavy things. And the music...love the music.

Uhm...the little elves and goblins in my head are trying to make me comment, but something inside me tells me it might not be wise :p

wildoates
04-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Don't you mean trolls? Everywhere I went in Norway I saw trolls. :)

Tiwas
04-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Don't you mean trolls? Everywhere I went in Norway I saw trolls. :)

oh, so *that's* what I look like in the morning...nah, the ones in my head are smaller and meaner. Definitely goblins... :-D

wildoates
04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
One thing my son would not let me buy as a souvenir was a troll, not even a post card (he did let me take one photo with one, but only one). He would have let me buy a horned fake Viking helmet before he'd have let me buy a troll. No fear, however, all I brought back for me was a print of medieval Bergen, still not framed :)

The only swords I saw in Norway were in museums, unfortunately.

TheAlchemist
04-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Guess it's more "knitting" than knitting ;) It's chain maille armor and chain maille inspired jewelry :) It's not feminine if it's done with pliers! It's not, I'm telling you! :p

Awe...go on...embrace your inner feminine!

TheAlchemist
04-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Although I do make jewelry, so far it hasn't brought me any fellas, and anyway, even if it did they might not be the type I'd be interested in. ;)

Or do you mean that you might not be the type they'd be interested in;)?

Tiwas
04-13-2011, 11:03 AM
One thing my son would not let me buy as a souvenir was a troll, not even a post card (he did let me take one photo with one, but only one). He would have let me buy a horned fake Viking helmet before he'd have let me buy a troll. No fear, however, all I brought back for me was a print of medieval Bergen, still not framed :)

The only swords I saw in Norway were in museums, unfortunately.

I agree! Trolls should stay in the mountains, and helmets don't have horn. Total rubbish.

About swords and stuff, like I've mentioned in a few other threads; our history, apparently, isn't something to be proud of. In addition, most Norwegians are afraid of being called nationalists, as that has somehow become a synonym for neo nazi :eek: If you know stuff about runes, you "have to" be either into black metal and church burnings or, again, a neo nazi. It's a shame...We actually don't have to venture further than Sweden to find a country proud of its' ancestry and get to go to heaps of festivals and fairs.

Did you get to read up on the history of Bergen? That's where the black plague started off in Norway. We still don't like them ;)

Gespacho
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I just obtained my second kyu ranking in Aikido last week (then first kyu then black belt, been there almost ten years but hate grading so several people who started years after I did have gotten their black belts already), and I totally understand the need to keep the remaining joints functional. Thankfully Aikido usually helps my osteoarthritic knee, but my wrists are going to take a while to recover from helping my other friends practicing for THEIR gradings... elbows are chronically screwed but that's at least only soft tissue damage :p

Sounds like you have a good instructor too, and that you kept up with your training. That's the hardest part for me. Some days I just don't want to practice at all. We do try to do demonstrations from time to time, though. My favorites are the weapons demos. All we've done so far on stage are a few different demos for staffs. Spears, swords, and knives present their own difficulties on stage. Someone is going to get stabbed...

My son has a kilt, which he occasionally wears in Norway, it's not nearly as common there as you see it here, though. COLOR="Purple"][/COLOR]

I was shopping for a kilt a while back. Those things are expensive as hell! I think I might just go to the antique shops downtown and buy an old uniform. Kilts are often part of the uniform, and they're usually well insulated. Living in Alberta I like anything that's warm.

mmclean
04-13-2011, 11:22 AM
I was shopping for a kilt a while back. Those things are expensive as hell! I think I might just go to the antique shops downtown and buy an old uniform. Kilts are often part of the uniform, and they're usually well insulated. Living in Alberta I like anything that's warm.

As a younger man I would never have thought of wearing a kilt. Now that I'm not quite so young I think it would be so cool. My grandfather wore a kilt and played the bagpipes in the town parade. Never got to see him, as he died when I was rather young.

I wish I could find my true clan plaid.

Chevette Girl
04-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds like you have a good instructor too, and that you kept up with your training. That's the hardest part for me. Some days I just don't want to practice at all. We do try to do demonstrations from time to time, though. My favorites are the weapons demos. All we've done so far on stage are a few different demos for staffs. Spears, swords, and knives present their own difficulties on stage. Someone is going to get stabbed...

For Aikido, yeah, I have some really great instructors and the whole dojo is awesome, we've got some ludicrous number of black belts around so there are at least half a dozen who teach regular weekly classes and half a dozen more who will take over should someone not be able to teach their class. In Aikido we tend to do all our weapons work with jo, tanto and boken, so you might split some knuckles (I have) or get some bruises but usually nobody has to go to hospital if someone screws up, you're more likely to injure something if someone screws up a barehanded throw...

In European broadblade, we wear helms and armour and use padded weapons except for demos, and we don't generally spar full speed with the metal blades when we do bring them out, so we get some really spectacular bruises but so far nobody's had to go to hospital from that class either. So far. :)

Real tartan kilt? Yeah, not cheap, we looked at that for one of our groomsmen at our wedding, but he opted instead for a good blazer, figured he'd get more use out of that... I totally want to get one of those utilikilts myself though. I don't mind wearing skirts but I needs me my pocketses!

Tiwas
04-13-2011, 05:06 PM
As a younger man I would never have thought of wearing a kilt. Now that I'm not quite so young I think it would be so cool. My grandfather wore a kilt and played the bagpipes in the town parade. Never got to see him, as he died when I was rather young.

I wish I could find my true clan plaid.

Just don't do the mistake of wearing underwear under it.

Kind of cool to think of that the term "going commando" is from the Scottish commandos simply refused to wear underwear :D

TheAlchemist
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Kind of cool to think of that the term "going commando" is from the Scottish commandos simply refused to wear underwear :D

I didn't know that!
Thanks for that bit of history.

Tiwas
04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I didn't know that!
Thanks for that bit of history.

Going commando is the practice of not wearing underwear under one's outer clothing. The term is theorised to be related to the much earlier term "going regimental", which refers to wearing the kilt military style, that is, without underwear. (see True Scotsman)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_commando

I don't remember where I first saw it, but this confirms it :)

TheAlchemist
04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_commando

I don't remember where I first saw it, but this confirms it :)

Ahem...
Again I am amused...
That a post such as this might be found on a thread that is titled such as this...:rolleyes:

wayneb
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Ahhh... such mental imagery that this invokes.... ;D

Gespacho
04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't try that in Olso, it might get a little chilly on the plumbing. :eek:

Chevette Girl
04-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Not for long, as your "outie" becomes an "innie"... :eek:

...and if/when I should obtain my utilikilt, I shall not be going regimental. I am WAY too likely to flash something inappropriate when wearing something that short, I am not a good wearer of skirts at the best of times, nevermind when it's gear you should be able to be active in... wore a short black leather skirt to university once and made the mistake of sitting in an old comfy saggy sofa... had to be reminded by a friend that perhaps the flowered undies hadn't been my best wardrobe choice that day... ;D

And during my Iaido class today, my sensei put his shinken (sharp practice sword) through his saia (sheath)... always funny when you're using a metal iaito and your instructor has a wooden boken...

Tiwas
04-14-2011, 02:04 AM
And during my Iaido class today, my sensei put his shinken () through his saia ()... always funny when you're using a metal iaito and your instructor has a wooden boken...

I fixed that up for you. Now it's a lot more interesting reading for those of us without a clue what those things are. I have a pretty good mental image of it, though, and I'm disgusted that you'd write something like that! ;D

hehe

Gespacho
04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
If and when I get a kilt I'll have to avoid going regimental myself. I already embarrass my fiance enough in public and the temptation might be too great. :cool: With or without a kilt, though, I'm really looking foreward to training outside again. I just can't do much weapons training in the winter, as I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and I've already had to replace one light fixture that had an unfortunate accident. ;D We've had a longer winter than usual this year and I need to get outside just as soon as it stops snowing.

And you're right Tiwas, that actually does sound kind of disturbing...

AToE
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I'd love to have a good kilt, I'm red-enough to pull it off even though I'm not actually the ethnicity for it (close though). I want a black and grey one though, since I don't have a family tartan I get to pick whatever I want!

wildoates
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
My son's is the US Marine tartan, although since he's Irish and his last name is part of clan McCian. I guess he could wear one of their tartans.

Chevette Girl
04-14-2011, 03:30 PM
If I went for a tartan it'd be the Stewart. As opposed to Stuart. Paternal grandmother was a British Isles mix...