PDA

View Full Version : How does batch size effect aging.

CrouchingPanda
03-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Assuming that the ingredients for a one gallon batch are scaled down from a 5 gallon batch perfectly, will the aging process be any longer or shorter for a 1 gallon batch?

Right now the recipe I'm tinkering with is:

2 lbs Lilikoi Honey (local honey in hawaii)
3/4 a gallong of organic orange juice
yeast is undetermined ATT.
__
OG=1.115
With a goal of bringing the final gravity to a little above 1.00 (semi-dry?)

The final abv would be 14.96% if all the sugar was eaten (I don't know how to calculate what it will be if I want it semi-dry)

Anyone have a decent guesstamite on the amt of time it will take for this mead to drinkeable?

AToE
03-25-2011, 05:22 PM
You may end up having to backsweeten this, as orange juice is very acidic and it might ferment all the way to dry - but it could be a great mead whatever sweetness you end up making it.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

I have no clue about your question! I know that larger batches are less likely to suffer damage due to temp fluctuations while aging, but beyond that I simply have no idea!

CrouchingPanda
03-25-2011, 06:14 PM
I have no clue about your question! I know that larger batches are less likely to suffer damage due to temp fluctuations while aging

What's the margin of error for temp fluctuations? I live in Hawaii and the temperature fluctuates from 68-75 farenheit in my house... Which makes me ask another question... What would happen if I aged the mead in the fridge?

And as far as back sweetening, would it be possible to just add another 1/2 pound or so of honey to the 2ndary fermentation to combat the acidity?

Thanks for the advice!!!

AToE
03-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Those temp fluctuations are pretty similar to what I get, so while not ideal (idea would be more like mid 50s Fahrenheit) that will work. Fridges are generally too cold, while that will speed up clearing (which will make it drinkable sooner) it will also very much slow down aging.

You can definitely add more honey in secondary, we call this backsweetening (and the nice thing about it is that you can add it to taste, rather than just pick a random SG and hope it's the right amount of sweetness) but any time you have any residual sugar (whether from backsweetening or not) it's a very good idea to stabilize the mead with sulphite and sorbate (not one or the other, both) to prevent the yeast from waking up later and fermenting more (which if bottled could get you seriously injured in an explosion). Even when yeast appear to be done they can wake up later.

Medsen Fey
03-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Welcome to GotMead CrouchingPanda!

I'd suggest cutting back on the OJ. Fermenting pure OJ tends to leave a very phenolic result that is not nearly so pleasant. If you want to keep the batch on the dry side, you may want to keep the OJ in a 1 gallon batch to 2-3 cups. You can add a little orange zest to boost the aroma.

As for the aging, there is some wine lore that suggests larger storage containers (and bottles) allow slower/longer aging. With meads, you aren't going to see a big difference between 1 and 5 gallon batches.

If you can find a way to keep the temp below 70F, you be happier with your results sooner.

Good luck!

Medsen

wildoates
03-26-2011, 01:39 AM
The master of the Fusel Shack knows whereof he speaks. :)