• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Orange Juice/Oranges

Barrel Char Wood Products

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I've read quite a few recipes at this point, and there seems to be an even run between orange juice and pounds of oranges for flavor. Up till now I thought you completely peeled the oranges (as in all the way down to a pile of little juice balls, no slices left) to completely get rid of the pith, but on another thread someone just said that they juice their oranges...and listed their recipe as pounds again.

So, basic question, two part. How, EXACTLY, do I handle fresh oranges in a melomel, and which is better, fresh, juice, or concentrate?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Personally speaking, I've been very satisfied with the juice that I've made from fresh oranges and tangerines. I find that the bitter phenolics that Medsen Fey talks about are less present in melomels that I make with fresh squeezed juice (although there is still some phenolic bitterness there), than with either commercially prepared juice or with frozen concentrates.

I use a powered citrus juicer, and I'm careful not to press hard on the juicing reamer with the fruit, so I minimize any liquid that could come out of the pith.

I also like to add a little zest from the fruit (again, none of the white pith layer) to enhance the citrus aromatics.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well, pretty much as Wayne says, unless it's a batch of JAO of course.

With the JAO, I'm guessing that the whole orange is used so that the bitterness element from the orange pith balances the residual sweetness that occurs with the use of bread yeast.

Whereas with a "normal" melomel, Wayne's suggested method sounds excellent.

Don't forget, it does seem that with fruit flavours, as well as the actual honey, you get what you pay for inasfaras the quality of the ingredients.

Just my tuppence worth.....

regards

fatbloke

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
So don't put the pulp in or do? If I don't, is the weight in the base recipe off of the unjuiced fruit or am I weighing the juice? (And why, if it is just juice, don't people just put 'cups of fresh squeezed juice' instead of lbs of fruit so it's not so damn confusing?)

For reference, recipe I'm working on:

15lbs clover honey
5 gallons water
10 grams Lalvin KIV-1116
10 ounces fine ground bee pollen (fresh with no preservatives so not to mess with my yeast)

OG 1.095, on third day of fermentation sg was 1.060. I'm backsweetening with two gallons of must I spooned off for secondary, and racking onto 4 seperate 2 gallon buckets. One will have
1 lb oranges (still looking at kinds)
1 vanilla bean
1 whole clove
1 cinnamon stick (real cinnamon, not the bark)

I don't want it to end too acidic since I'm racking onto the fruit in secondary, but I'm hoping the vanilla and clove will mellow it. First time with orange and the changes in terms in other recipes are throwing me! Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
So don't put the pulp in or do? If I don't, is the weight in the base recipe off of the unjuiced fruit or am I weighing the juice? (And why, if it is just juice, don't people just put 'cups of fresh squeezed juice' instead of lbs of fruit so it's not so damn confusing?)

Well that's a question best answered by the originator of the recipe - but I'd guess that it was easier for them to weigh the fresh, whole fruit than to measure the juice after squeezing. In a recipe such as this one, I'd think that the author meant weight of whole fruit, and just get whatever juice you can out of them. I would not put the pulp into the fermenter for this recipe.

miawade

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 17, 2021
United States
Hi everyone,

My old juicer broke down and I'm seeking recommendations/suggestions for the best juicers available out there, in terms of efficiency, enzyme friendliness, easy cleaning, possibly multipurpose action, etc...
juicer for ginger
Price is not a high-priority factor.

So, whoever has some knowledge/experience, please post your best suggestions if so inclined, and THANK YOU!

Also, juicing tips and various mixture suggestions/recipes are welcome!
cushion throws
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns