PDA

View Full Version : How to back sweeten

K5MOW
03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I would like to know how to do back sweeten. Ok is this right way to back sweet a mead. You first let the mead ferment all the way out and age. Then after aging you add Campden Tablets to the mead and wait about two hours then add Potassium Sorbate and then let the mead sit for a day or two and then add the honey to back sweeten. Then age the mead so it come clean.

What do all of you think is this right.

Thanks so much

Roger

Chevette Girl
03-27-2011, 11:52 AM
That sounds about right, a little searching on "stabilization" should tell you amounts too.

wildoates
03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Just realize that backsweetening can cause a formerly clear mead to not be, and you might need to let that settle out (or fine it) and rack again before you bottle.

If you want clear mead, anyway. :)

K5MOW
03-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks so much.

Roger

tweak'e
03-28-2011, 03:05 AM
thats a perfectly fine way of doing it. some debate that you wait 2 hours, 20 minutes or not all before adding the sorbate.
personally i rack it onto the Campden Tablets, wash my carboy out, then rack it onto the sorbate into the clean carboy. wait a few hours minimum then add honey.
the big thing is to let it sit as long as possible before bottling. not just for taste but also to make sure the yeast are not going to fire back up after you bottle it.
the wait also gives you time to clear the mead, add any fining agents if need be.

K5MOW
03-30-2011, 07:34 AM
One more question please.

When I bottle this mead how full do I fill the bottles? How much head space do I leave? I would think that I should leave as little as possible. What do all of you think?

Roger

PitBull
03-30-2011, 07:51 AM
One more question please.

When I bottle this mead how full do I fill the bottles? How much head space do I leave? I would think that I should leave as little as possible. What do all of you think?

Roger

You would use a bottling wand on the end of your hose. It has a tip that opens when pressed to the bottom of the bottle and closes when lifted off of the bottom. You fill the bottles to the very top. When the wand is removed from the filled bottle, the proper amount of head space is left. They cost only a few dollars and are available at any LHBS or on-line.

K5MOW
03-30-2011, 07:58 AM
You would use a bottling wand on the end of your hose. It has a tip that opens when pressed to the bottom of the bottle and closes when lifted off of the bottom. You fill the bottles to the very top. When the wand is removed from the filled bottle, the proper amount of head space is left. They cost only a few dollars and are available at any LHBS or on-line.

Ok the same as beer then. Thanks a lot I have the wand as I am a Beer brewer also.

Thanks Roger