PDA

View Full Version : High Room Temperatures, issues?

OrionMead
03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Just thought of something else to ask all of you more experienced brewers here...

I live in southwest Arizona, up in the mountains near the border with Mexico. During the winter it can get pretty cold, sometimes even below the 40's, and in the summers we hit the high of around 105-110 (I pity the folks living in Tucson of Phoenix!!!).

Inside the house is usually in the 80's during the cool times of the year, but in the summer even the inside of the house tends to get warm. "Swamp Cooler" air conditioning (evaporative cooling is another name for it) isn't as good as normal AC, so I'm curious if anyone on these boards lives in a HOT location like this, and has ever had issues with stuck fermentation, etc?

akueck
03-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Not only do several folks live in AZ, FL, TX and such, but there are folks here in Central America too. Try searching for "hot mead test", though the best info might be in the Patron's section.

Tiwas
03-29-2011, 03:49 AM
Hmmm...and then there are the folks who need to keep the windows shut, or they'll go below the temp that'll put the yeast to sleep ;) I want to live in a climate where AC is needed to keep my must cool :S

THawk
03-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Not only do several folks live in AZ, FL, TX and such, but there are folks here in Central America too. Try searching for "hot mead test", though the best info might be in the Patron's section.

I live in the Philippines and it's around 20-30C most of the year. I left my jug on the kitchen counter close to a window (not really direct sunlight, but not dark either) for a month.

Ferment slowed down after 8 days but that was probably because I only had 2 lbs of honey in there... I used Red Star bread yeast and there was about an inch of crud on the bottom of the jug... :)

Medsen Fey
03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Also searching "high temperature" will get you some hits (use the quotation marks).

I live in Florida and fighting temperature is my biggest challenge. A spare fridge in the garage with a temperature controller is worth every penny. High temperature fermentations with traditional meads can be done, but often they are simply awful with medicinal or sulfur odors and a taste reminiscent of paint thinner.