PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering of the Fallen

MountainPitcher
03-29-2011, 07:38 PM
After all the trouble I had imagined I had with this first mead (see thread "No Fermentation, should I worry") and researching all the fixes I imagined I would have to implement, I feel like a veteran already. But; still a newbee.

In the kit that I purchased when I decided to do this, I got a bucket with a lid for primary and a clear carboy for first rack. The first rack is done now and the clear carboy shows me the fascinating spectical of what happens next. I added 3 campden tablets to the 3 gallon mix upon racking, and I understand that's supposed to clear both yeast and bacteria. I'm starting to see a light buildup of the fallen yeast at the bottom of the carboy. I feel like playing taps...

Since my SG was so close to 1 when I racked, there's really no need to worry about repitching or anything. The question I do have is just a matter of your opinion; but if you will add your opinions I would like them. Since this must sat for an additional 14 days (literally a month) in the primary, should I shorten the time I let it sit in the carboy?

Again, THANX to all who helped me in the other thread. I'm just glad this place is here. 8)

Chevette Girl
03-29-2011, 10:02 PM
I added 3 campden tablets to the 3 gallon mix upon racking, and I understand that's supposed to clear both yeast and bacteria. I'm starting to see a light buildup of the fallen yeast at the bottom of the carboy. I feel like playing taps...

Since my SG was so close to 1 when I racked, there's really no need to worry about repitching or anything. The question I do have is just a matter of your opinion; but if you will add your opinions I would like them. Since this must sat for an additional 14 days (literally a month) in the primary, should I shorten the time I let it sit in the carboy?

<stands at attention for Taps> They fought well!

The campden tabs will knock out your yeast but I don't think they'll have that much to do with clarifying your mead. If you are looking at backsweetening or if there is any residual sugar at all, you probably want to hit it with sorbate as well to make sure it doesn't start up again.

The amount of time you need to leave your must in the carboy has almost no relation to the amount of time it's spent in primary... you let it sit in secondary till it's done (usually till it's clear and you're sure the fermentation's all done), racking the clear stuff off whenever there's a significant amount of lees collected.

TheAlchemist
03-29-2011, 10:10 PM
...I'm starting to see a light buildup of the fallen yeast at the bottom of the carboy. I feel like playing taps...

...should I shorten the time I let it sit in the carboy?

Again, THANX to all who helped me in the other thread. I'm just glad this place is here. 8)

Hmmm
Love the Taps image...

You can let it sit in the carboy for as long as it takes to clear. Hold up a candle on the other side of the mead and take a look at how the light comes through...some would say to hold up the New York Times and see if you can read through it...

akueck
03-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Sulfites (campden) does often cause clearing, since the yeast that get knocked out of commission will drop out of suspension faster than yeast that are still trying to eat stuff. Kind of an add-on effect, but I've seen it happen.

A month in primary is not excessive, I leave beers in there that long. Most meads really need at least 6 months to get over their awkward teenage years, so the few extra weeks in primary is just a blip on the radar.