03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
I like the little hop chutes.

K5MOW
03-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Cool

Roger

icedmetal
03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Somebody had way too much time on their hands...

Chevette Girl
03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
It's cute, but how much time is involved in setup and programming versus how long it'd take to do it yourself?

(yes I AM an engineer and yes I know that's not the point when it comes to cool toys :) )

TheAlchemist
03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
(yes I AM an engineer and yes I know that's not the point when it comes to cool toys :) )

Love the McFeely quote you've added to your signature, CG!

wildoates
03-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Is everyone here an engineer except me?!???

akueck
03-31-2011, 01:47 AM

Only the cool folks. :p

icedmetal
03-31-2011, 02:02 AM
I'm an engineer...;D

AToE
03-31-2011, 02:03 AM
I'm an audio engineer, sounds like just as fancy a title, but no post-secondary required. ;)

(I do have a little post secondary, in writing and religion, but it's a hobby not something I've ever done full time or with the goal of ever getting any kind of degree)

PitBull
03-31-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm an audio engineer, sounds like just as fancy a title, but no post-secondary required. ;)

(I do have a little post secondary, in writing and religion, but it's a hobby not something I've ever done full time or with the goal of ever getting any kind of degree)

I'm a engineer too, in the mining indusrty. Here in PA one cannot even put the word "engineer" on a business card or stationery unless they are a registered professional engineer. First offense is a $1,000 fine and it increases quickly for multiple offenses. To get registered one must work as an engineer-in-training for five years under another registered engineer and then pass an all-day, national exam. I'd guesstimate that less then half of the people who get a 4-year degree in engineering, actually get registered in PA.

But I regress... VERY cool toy!

Chevette Girl
03-31-2011, 10:06 AM
I'm a engineer too, in the mining indusrty. Here in PA one cannot even put the word "engineer" on a business card or stationery unless they are a registered professional engineer. First offense is a $1,000 fine and it increases quickly for multiple offenses. To get registered one must work as an engineer-in-training for five years under another registered engineer and then pass an all-day, national exam. I'd guesstimate that less then half of the people who get a 4-year degree in engineering, actually get registered in PA.

In Canada we differentiate between the degree and the professional designation (similar deal), so if I had business cards they would say B. Eng, not P.Eng. I'm happy without the responsibility (making a mistake on the job can lead to fines and even jailtime) and with a degree ten years stale, I would require a lot of retraining just to get a position that would lead to professional designation. And Wildoates, don't feel bad, I survived the degree but it ain't all it's cracked up to be! :D

But I regress... VERY cool toy!

Absolutely... still curious how much time it saves though :)

Medsen Fey
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
I'm not an engineer either, but I have ridden a train. :)

I'd like to see a bot designed to get all the honey dissolved in the fermenter.

moonie
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
My last couple of Job titles involve the title Engineer, Level 3 UNIX/Linux Engineer and currently UNIX Security Engineer. Level 3 means you don't call me when your desktop breaks, you call me when your business critical server breaks. I think this means I'm one of those geeks that secretly rules the world. As a UNIX Security Engineer I man the battlements keeping the unwashed barbarians at bay.

I do not have an Engineering degree however, I just play one at work.

JayH
03-31-2011, 12:40 PM

So what do "Microsoft Certified Engineers do?" and I wonder what they would call my best friend, he refers to himself as an Engineer, but his degrees say PHd in Physics?

Me I just play with data all day for people.

PitBull
03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
So what do "Microsoft Certified Engineers do?" and I wonder what they would call my best friend, he refers to himself as an Engineer, but his degrees say PHd in Physics?

I doubt that "Microsoft Certified Engineers" would qualify as engineers in PA.

I think it's crazy that degreed engineers cannot legally refer to themselves as engineers. The really nutty thing is that one does not necessarily have to have a degree in engineering to get to be a Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.). They must first pass an all-day, national Fundamentals of Engineering (F.E.) Exam (previously call the Engineer-in-Training Exam, E.I.T.) and do engineering work for five years under a P.E. THEN they can take the P.E. exam. Your friend with the degree in physics may have a decent chance of passing the engineering exams if he takes short courses geared at passing those exams.

PA has just instituted a requirement for engineers to get a number of CEU-type credits to maintain their license. I do it, but I fail to see how attending a boring lecture or a trade show makes me a better engineer. I presented a paper in Denver earlier this month. I love the Big Blue Bear at staring into the convention center.

randrick
03-31-2011, 10:27 PM

Typically Microsoft certification is referred to as MSCE.

Also you can have a title such as Vice President, Engineering on your business card, you just can't claim to be an engineer without a PE.

wildoates
03-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Those who can, do. Those who can't....well, we teach. :p

I sent the link to my son and he replied that his girlfriend would never let him have one. :)

TheAlchemist
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM

Not EVERYone...

wayneb
04-07-2011, 11:21 AM
I presented a paper in Denver earlier this month. I love the Big Blue Bear at staring into the convention center.

And you didn't let us know you were out here?? Shame on you.... ;)

schlapppy
04-07-2011, 11:37 PM
heh.. I'm an engineer too, so this caught my attention too.

PitBull
04-08-2011, 12:00 PM
And you didn't let us know you were out here?? Shame on you.... ;)
I was going to mention it, but I did not have any wheels. I was fortunate enough to stay at the Embassy Suites, which is literally across the street from the convention center. But with all the eateries on the close-by 16th Street Mall and its free shuttle, a car was deemed an unnecessary expense. I took a shuttle to and from the airport.

I did have a "sampler platter" at the Wynkoop Brewing Company brewpub. It was good, but my all time favorite brewpub is Tommyknockers in Idaho Springs, CO. If I would have had a car, I would have gone to Tommyknockers again.

wayneb
04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Since we live up in Evergreen, Tommyknockers is "local" (as in less than 15 miles away). We hit it up about once a month. ;D

randrick
04-08-2011, 11:12 PM
I am an engineer too :)