03-31-2011, 03:34 AM
My choices for dry yeast are:

Lalvin 71B-1122
Lalvin 71B-1122
Lalvin Bourgovin RC 212
Lalvin EC-1118
Lalvin ICV D-47
Lalvin ICV K1-1116

Will I have to do more stuff with DAP and all of that compared to liquid yeast? Alternately, should I just make 6 small batches and taste which one I like better?

Some lists say that certain yeasts are better for aging on the lees. Does this mean you just leave it as it is in primary without racking it?

Medsen Fey
03-31-2011, 09:31 AM
The choice of yeast depends on what your are making and what you want. If you want a high ABV batch, EC-1118 or K1V are your best bets. If you want lees aging, 71B may be a poor choice, and on and on. What are you planning?

There is nothing like making some side by side batches with different yeast to show you the difference they can make.

As for lees aging, most protocols look at aging on the fine lees, which you get after racking to secondary, though you can age on the gross lees with meads and may get the impact sooner and stronger. Just watch for the development of sulfur odors.

Tiwas
03-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks! I'll order one of each - but I'm in no hurry. By tomorrow night, I'll have three fermentation bins on my kitchen floor :D

mtripka
03-31-2011, 11:03 PM
71B & D-47 are my go to yeasts

K5MOW
04-01-2011, 06:35 AM
71B & D-47 are my go to yeasts

Yes I like D-47

Roger

fatbloke
04-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Well if you've got to mail order them, then why not get something outside the usual Lalvin suspects, from "morewine" ? For example as far we can find out, it seems that D21 is the closest to the fabled "Maury" yeast mentioned in the writings of the late Brother Adam.......

regards

fatbloke

Tiwas
04-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Well if you've got to mail order them, then why not get something outside the usual Lalvin suspects, from "morewine" ? For example as far we can find out, it seems that D21 is the closest to the fabled "Maury" yeast mentioned in the writings of the late Brother Adam.......

regards

fatbloke

If I was to do that, I would have to buy from outside Scandinavia (which really isn't a problem). The only reason I tried to stick with my neighboring countries was to keep shipping down. It turns out it's about $30 to ship a few grams of yeast from Sweden to Norway, so they can shove it...hehe

Right now I just made two test batches (along with my first, which is also still in primary) - one with "sweet mead" and one which is exactly like my first, which I will split into 6 or 7 to play with different tastes (vanilla, oak, etc etc)

tycoon
04-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Where I live, Red Star yeasts are the easiest to get. Out of those, I prefer Premier Cuvee, and sometimes Champagne. I stay well clear of Cote des Blancs because it seems to need a lot of nutrients and it has regaled me with some truly stinky meads. Somewhere I read that Cote des Blancs can be used for cider, but I haven't researched that yet.

Tiwas
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks! Excellent info :)