• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Reality Check - Apple Cyser Recipe

Barrel Char Wood Products

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Just need a reality check whether what I'm planning is feasible. It's for a 1 gallon batch:

4 pints Motts Apple Juice (pasteurized)
1 quart Distilled Water (balance of 1 gallon)
3.5 lbs Clover Honey
Yeast Nutrient and Energizer

Yeast: Lalvin EC-1118

1-2 Cinnamon sticks
1 whole clove
1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
2 apples

Should I even add the apples? I was hoping to do a 'liquid apple pie' mead for Christmas...

Hard to get cider without paying a fortune where I am. That's why I'm using juice instead. I'm also using the juice as a substitute for some of the water...

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
This will have a very high starting gravity - probably 1.140-1.150 or more and is going to give you a high-ABV, rocket-fuel cyser that is going to take time to mellow and it is going to blow off a lot of the aromatics. If the fermentation temperature is high, it will be quite harsh.

If you ferment it cool, you'll be better off. I'd consider saving the apples and adding them in the secondary to boost the apple aroma once the yeast have settled down.

moonie

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 24, 2011
High Point NC
I have a gallon and a half of Cyser aging right now. I used 1116 and had a starting gravity to give me around 12.5%, finished at 0.990 so I stabilized and backsweetened to 1.010. Looking forward to seeing how it is in another six months or so.

Personally I would go for lower alcohol and backsweeten as it will give you more control over FG and sweetness and with the lower alcohol it will should be fit to drink sooner.

I used only honey, apple juice (with no preservatives except vitamin C) spring water to adjust SG to where I wanted it and a large amount of Cinnamon sticks . 4 per gallon in primary, fresh 4 per gallon in secondary and 4 more fresh per gallon when I racked again once fermentation was complete and I stabilized and backsweetened.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Lessons learned tonight:
a. I must not make mead while tired...
b. Not all gallon jars are alike...

Accidentally put 1 TABLEspoon of Fermax into 1 gallon of must. By the time I realized the error I had just dropped the stuff into the jar. Will that do anything untoward? Also I noticed that I seem to have loads of honey on the bottom of the jar. Is it normal for honey to not mix completely with apple juice??

How would I ferment this cool? I live in the tropics... hard to find a cool enough spot to let it ferment... maybe I can just cover it with a towel??

When I rack into the secondary, should I add the cinnamon and clove again?

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
The overdose of Fermax probably won't be problem, but I certainly wouldn't add any more.

I keep stuff cool by using a spare fridge (with a temperature controller) . If you can't control the temperature, you may want to consider picking another yeast that handles temperature better if you are going to be brewing in the upper 70s F or higher.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
How would I ferment this cool? I live in the tropics... hard to find a cool enough spot to let it ferment... maybe I can just cover it with a towel??

You can place your carboy in a pan of water, wrap it in a towel or a tee shirt and place it in front of a fan.

I would also suggest buying yeast with the highest temp range, until you set up a cool room or frig or whatever.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Awesome... I'd really hate to have to throw the batch out... I didn't bother adding energizer -- should I still add it?

Doesn't seem like the honey and apple juice combined very well... I've already pitched the yeast, can I still stick a spoon into the must and stir? I guess I should have combined the water and honey first THEN added the apple juice... live and learn... :)

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
For the first 1/3 of the fermentation (until the 1/3 sugar break) you can and should add air into the must. Small carboys can be picked up and shaken. Larger carboys can be stirred. This is why some perfer to do primary in an wide mouth container( jar or bucket with a cloth over it), and secondary in a small mouth carboy with an air loick.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
Small carboys can be picked up and shaken.

Not this one... It's awfully heavy empty. I just stuck a spoon into it and stirred... It's a one gallon jar that I bought here in the Philippines... The other issue is that the top piece, that comes off, doesn't really form a good enough seal. It's got a spout for an airlock (or in my case, a balloon)... I think I'll use this vessel as a secondary ferment vessel -- since the top peels off that I can easily get fruit and stuff into it... :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I didn't bother adding energizer -- should I still add it?

Doesn't seem like the honey and apple juice combined very well... I've already pitched the yeast, can I still stick a spoon into the must and stir?

You can stir, but gently or you'll get a Mead Eruption Accident (MEA).

I wouldn't add any energizer. You've given it enough Fermax to do the job.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Taste it. If you want more spice, add more. As far as "help the flavor", time is probably the single best thing you can add.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
It might restart. It depends on a few variables, but diluting it and adding sugar will very often result in some renewed fermentation.

If you search for "topping up" you'll find that folks use marbles (aquarium grade only!), corks, whatever to reduce headspace.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
will the renewed fermentation result in added sweetness (I know ABV will likely go up)? Will it be as violent as the primary?

and how much headspace is acceptable in the secondary? Do I have to fill the jar to the brim (or at least up to where the stopper hits liquid)?

Don't know if I can get aquarium grade marbles here... you'll be amazed what people in the Philippines put in their fish tanks... :eek:

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
If the added sugar doesn't ferment all the way out, then yes it will be sweeter. Otherwise you're just making more alcohol. Again, really hard to predict what will happen as all fermentations are different. You're more likely to get residual sugar if you put a lot of honey in than if you added just a little.

How much headspace? "Minimal" is the answer, but I don't know if there is a quantitative answer to that. Traditional meads tend to oxidize more slowly than fruit meads, for example, and some meads seem not to care at all if there are gallons and gallons of headspace.

If you restart fermentation the new CO2 produced should push a lot of oxygen out of the headspace, as long as it isn't a huge amount of air. Viable yeast will also pull oxygen out, so that goes in your favor too.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
And you probably don't want to fill your vessel right up to the stopper, if it gets warmer, it might push the liquid up through the stopper and into your airlock (or balloon, as the case may be).

Most carboys have a narrow neck and if you fill to where it's narrow that's about as good as it's going to get.

If you do add some honey or sugar water to top it up with, it will likely ferment again, which as Akueck says will create more CO2 to protect your mead, but I'd be very surprised if further fermentation was very vigorous, I never get more than little bubbles rising to the surface.

THawk

Crazy Martian Cat
GotMead Patron
And you probably don't want to fill your vessel right up to the stopper, if it gets warmer, it might push the liquid up through the stopper and into your airlock (or balloon, as the case may be).

Most carboys have a narrow neck and if you fill to where it's narrow that's about as good as it's going to get.

If you do add some honey or sugar water to top it up with, it will likely ferment again, which as Akueck says will create more CO2 to protect your mead, but I'd be very surprised if further fermentation was very vigorous, I never get more than little bubbles rising to the surface.

Awesome. That's what I needed to know. I think the gallon jar I bought here in the Philippines holds more than what the vendor said it would...

Primary ferment seems to have died down a bit -- it's still bubbling, but not as violent as before...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY

I racked my chocolate mead to about 1.5" from the top of the carboy. It got 20 degrees warmer this weekend and guess what: mead in airlock. Thermal expansion is not my friend. :(

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns