04-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Results of the competition have been posted:

http://www.mazercup.com/mci_meadery_results.htm

http://www.mazercup.com/mci_mead_results.htm

Cheers,

Oskaar

AToE
04-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Just one small thing that I noticed during the awards ceremony as well, my declared brewclub is the Yeast Wranglers, not just "Yeast" ;) Though that does have a funny ring to it.

Congrats to all, great fun was had!

icedmetal
04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
How do we find out what we scored? Will the sheets be mailed or do full details eventually get posted online?

Medsen, grats on the Gold!

TheAlchemist
04-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for posting this, Oskaar.
And Congratulations to the winners!

wayneb
04-05-2011, 12:19 AM
How do we find out what we scored? Will the sheets be mailed or do full details eventually get posted online?

Yup - watch the mail. I think it says something like that on the MCI website....

TheAlchemist
04-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey Wesley, What's Magyar about the Magyar Gold?

Wesley Underwood, L.. Holwager Magyar Gold KROC Homebrew Club

wildoates
04-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Okay, which one was he chocolate one Aaron raved about?! :)

TheAlchemist
04-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Okay, which one was he chocolate one Aaron raved about?! :)

I think I read somewhere here that the amazing chocolate didn't get a cup.

akueck
04-05-2011, 01:54 AM
I think I read somewhere here that the amazing chocolate didn't get a cup.

I don't think it did, which is testament to the crazy quality of the meads that were entered. It was not uncommon to be judging a flight and go from "this is the best _____ mead I have ever had" and then watch them bring out another one just as good. People were constantly bringing glasses from table to table saying "you have to taste this". As much fun as it would have been, I'm glad I didn't end up deciding medals on the home side--it would have been far too difficult.

K5MOW
04-05-2011, 07:14 AM
I would love to go nexed year.

Roger

IanB
04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Congratulations to All! Next year we won't be in a cash crunch and will enter in all our appropriate categories...until then Wassail!

WFUinCO
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey Wesley, What's Magyar about the Magyar Gold?

Wesley Underwood, L.. Holwager Magyar Gold KROC Homebrew Club

You are looking at the winners list for 2009, this was made with Acacia honey from Hungary.

Oskaar
04-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Just one small thing that I noticed during the awards ceremony as well, my declared brewclub is the Yeast Wranglers, not just "Yeast" ;) Though that does have a funny ring to it.

Its been updated. We're only as good as the information saved in the entry form. If all the other information comes in (name, category, etc.), but other information is incomplete its usually operator error, but we check it out anyhow in order to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up dude, and it was great to finally meet you! Now you know what Macadamia Nut mead tastes like! :cool:

Cheers,

Oskaar

THawk
04-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Congrats Shai Hulud! :)

K5MOW
04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Congrats to all.

Roger

tycoon
04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Congratulations to all! I hope soon I will be able to take one of my meads to the Cup and to taste the hard work of other meadmakers! :)

wildoates
04-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I don't think it did, which is testament to the crazy quality of the meads that were entered. It was not uncommon to be judging a flight and go from "this is the best _____ mead I have ever had" and then watch them bring out another one just as good. People were constantly bringing glasses from table to table saying "you have to taste this". As much fun as it would have been, I'm glad I didn't end up deciding medals on the home side--it would have been far too difficult.

My self-confidence just took a dive, that's for sure. :p

Well, if the maker of that amazing mead is a Gotmeader, I hope s/he shares the recipe!

AToE
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Its been updated. We're only as good as the information saved in the entry form. If all the other information comes in (name, category, etc.), but other information is incomplete its usually operator error, but we check it out anyhow in order to be sure.

Thanks for the heads up dude, and it was great to finally meet you! Now you know what Macadamia Nut mead tastes like! :cool:

Cheers,

Oskaar

Thanks, I could have sworn I got it right, but if an error at any point makes sense then it's certainly likely to have been on my end! I should have just put gotmead as my brewclub anyways, that local one is great but I'm the only "mead person".

I know what a whole heck of a lot of meads taste like now! I see a bucket of blackberry honey in my future (in all the discussions of vanilla-like honeys here, that one somehow never came up! Holy crap is it a vanilla bomb!).

;D

Medsen Fey
04-05-2011, 10:48 AM
It appears the GotMeaders had some good success.

I see:
Yasuke - Congratulations! what type of melomel was that?
Yabodie
AToE - I think that recipe has to be added to Patron's proven recipes!
The Exlines - what kind of grape is squishy yellow?
Marek

Who else am I missing? Please step forward and take some well-earned pats on the back.

On the Commercial side, I saw:
B Nektar
Fox Hill Meadery
Michigan Meadery - David Baldwin
San Gabriel de los Palacios - Noe Palacios

Again, congratulations to all!
I hope we'll have the pleasure of seeing some recipes/brewlogs for some of these winning creations.

wayneb
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Who else am I missing? Please step forward and take some well-earned pats on the back.

In your list, you're obviously missing the Gold that that Medsen Fey dude took! CONGRATS for an INCREDIBLE mead that rose to the top of an INSANELY COMPETITIVE Berry Mel field!!!

AToE
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I was going to say, winning gold in either mel catagory is impressive, very impressive. I'm not sure how many braggots I had to compete against, but I'm sure it wasn't even remotely close to what was entered for berry mels!

mmclean
04-05-2011, 11:09 AM
In your list, you're obviously missing the Gold that that Medsen Fey dude took! CONGRATS for an INCREDIBLE mead that rose to the top of an INSANELY COMPETITIVE Berry Mel field!!!

Oh, the demureness of these GOTMEAD? mentors. :rolleyes:

Thanks for bringing home the Gold for gotmead.com. Medsen. You did us all proud!

Cheers :occasion14:

epetkus
04-05-2011, 11:40 AM
Agreed!

Congrats Medsen!! Well done!

Eric

wayneb
04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
For that matter, thanks to AToE (Alan - it was great to meet you, dude!) for validating the Braggot-docio recipe! Two years, two meadmakers, back-to-back mazers. We're doing something right with this one. ;)

AToE
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
For that matter, thanks to AToE (Alan - it was great to meet you, dude!) for validating the Braggot-docio recipe! Two years, two meadmakers, back-to-back mazers. We're doing something right with this one. ;)

And thanks for the recipe! It was great to meet you too. I will have to post some kind of summary of my recipe and process in the proven recipes forum, I think it was different enough from yours to earn a spot of it's own there - actually I'm amazed how different the 2 versions were while somehow remaining very clearly based on the same recipe, almost like how identical twins end up so different from eachother but still so similar.

I prefered yours personally (vastly actually, mine is just too heavy and thick and raisiny for me to drink too much of at a time).

I also want to point out that Braggot-docio's win this year proves just how powerful the mentorship here is, and how much those recipes in the patrons section are easily worth the patron's fee. That win had relatively little to do with my own skills - I had been making mead for much less than a year when I made that one, which really shows just how good the recipe was that even I couldn't botch it too badly (even though I did... some of those botches worked out OK though) and how good the mentorship was to help me not only make that batch, but to save it from disaster after it refused to bottle carb!

Brimminghorn
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM

Hey Medsen you are missing me I got a gold in the metheglin category with "Basilisk" lime basil and sweet basil metheglin. Congratulations on your win! :)

Cheers
Jon

wayneb
04-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I forgot to mention you, too, Jon! BTW - I judged an absolutely killer first round flight of metheglins - the best I've ever had. For yours to rise to the top of that heap was no mean feat, either! CONGRATS!!

Medsen Fey
04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Medsen you are missing me I got a gold in the metheglin category with "Basilisk" lime basil and sweet basil metheglin. Congratulations on your win! :)

Well done sir! Well done.
That is a most unusual combination. Was that sweet or dry?

And who else is missing?

AToE
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Anyone remember how many braggots there were total in the home comp? I'm kinda curious about that myself.

wayneb
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
There were a dozen braggots this time. Jon's Basilisk is a semi-sweet, BTW.

Brimminghorn
04-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Well done sir! Well done.
That is a most unusual combination. Was that sweet or dry?

And who else is missing?

Medsen.. it is an unusual combo but the flavors of the lime basil, sweet basil and lime zest go really well with orange blossom honey. I fermented with 5W83 which really brought the citrus and esters in the aroma. It was semi sweet.

Cheers,
Jon

Oskaar
04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
The Best of Show round was very tough, there were so many great meads we had to work very hard to go through the contenders and arrive at a winner.

So to all of you who had a first place in a particular category congratulations on a job well done. This year the quality of the Best of Show round meads was stellar.

Cheers,

Oskaar

mmclean
04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
My congratulations to Jon for a gold as well. Sorry, but I don't know eveyone by their real names. :)

And I totally overlooked Alan's silver. Way to go on your first time out. :notworthy:

commonsenseman
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Congrats to all of you who did so well!

It's really cool to know that I'm not just taking advice from some people on the internet, I'm taking advice from award winning mead-makers! :headbang:

Chevette Girl
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Well done, everyone!!

If I can't get there myself I guess I should at least try to enter something next year...

chiguire
04-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Nicely done, folks!

skunkboy
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
You are looking at the winners list for 2009, this was made with Acacia honey from Hungary.

Congrats to all of the winners! :-)

Anyone know which of the European commercial meads are distributed in the US?

danidiver
04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
It appears the GotMeaders had some good success.
The Exlines - what kind of grape is squishy yellow?

Squishy Yellow is an ice wine/late harvest Gewürztraminer Pyment :) Wine kits make excellent pyment starters in our experience!

Cheers!

Dani

Medsen Fey
04-05-2011, 09:11 PM
:) Wine kits make excellent pyment starters in our experience!

I agree. When I make a kit, I usually take the excess that won't fit in a 5-gallon keg and turn it into a pyment. The batches I get are small but sometimes very tasty.

Congratulations on the squishy yellow!

wildoates
04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
So many things to try, so little money and time. :)

Beertracker
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Congrats to all of this year's MCIH winners... good show GMIB! On the commercial-side, Kuhnhenn Brewing brought it bigtime. WoWsA! :o

AToE
04-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Squishy Yellow is an ice wine/late harvest Gewürztraminer Pyment :) Wine kits make excellent pyment starters in our experience!

Cheers!

Dani

Ahah, I'd been wondering if you were on the forums! I'm Alan the tattoo'd redbeard guy!

yasuke
04-07-2011, 03:01 AM
BOS was a Strawberry Passionfruit mead

danidiver
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Ahah, I'd been wondering if you were on the forums! I'm Alan the tattoo'd redbeard guy!

Next year we need to add our GotMead avatars/names to our nametags ;) I've always loved your sandworm and since I didn't make the connection I missed my chance for Dune geek talk. Next year!

Dani

PS - I'll even call you by the right name the whole time!

wildoates
04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
I could see myself going around asking "Who are you on gotmead?" Hee hee hee

AToE
04-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Next year we need to add our GotMead avatars/names to our nametags ;) I've always loved your sandworm and since I didn't make the connection I missed my chance for Dune geek talk. Next year!

Dani

PS - I'll even call you by the right name the whole time!

Definitely, I'm going to just write mine on with a sharpie if it's not printed on there! There were so many people there that weren't from the forums (which surprised me a lot) that I stopped asking most people if they posted here!

TheAlchemist
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
...the flavors of the lime basil, sweet basil and lime zest go really well with orange blossom honey. I fermented with 5W83 which really brought the citrus and esters in the aroma. It was semi sweet.

Cheers,
Jon

And the name is a stroke of genius!

TheAlchemist
04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Next year we need to add our GotMead avatars/names to our nametags ;)

I like this idea. I'm hoping to join the fun next year.

Noe Palacios
04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Every day in the morning I say: Thank you God for this new day.

On sunday, during our Saint Antony's Church Mass I'll say: Thanks God for this Medal.

But today I have to say thanks to GotMead, to Vicky, Oskaar, Mendsey and all our mead making couches. But the big thanks is to all you people, your questions, your posts is what make GotMead the best site for home mead makers and meadery.

I don't write much, but I read a lot and I can say that every day I learn something new here. If I won a Medal last week end is because of you.

Well, I started as home mead maker, now I own a meadery, I won a Medal ... I think it's TIME to follow Pete's example, it's time for ... a ... POOL PARTY !!!

YEAH !

mmclean
04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
That is great...are we all invited?

Party, Party, PARTY!!!

Noe Palacios
04-08-2011, 09:13 PM
That is great...are we all invited?

Party, Party, PARTY!!!

SURE

There is enought Maribio ... oops Maribio? ... now is its weigth in Gold ... hmmm ... Ok ... but there still ... El Cardón ... a future medalist? ... Who knows ...

mmclean
04-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I think the EL CARDÓN will do quite nicely. :)

Brad Dahlhofer
04-14-2011, 12:30 AM

Cheers
Jon

Jon,

Your mead was awesome!

Brad Dahlhofer
04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
I've always loved your sandworm

I've always wondered what that thing was. {slaps his forehead}

AToE
04-14-2011, 01:15 AM

I get lots of funny PM's about it, from those who recognise it and those who don't! I'm a bit of a Frank Herbert/Dune scholar (my handle AToE is A Thing of Eternity - which when translated into Arabic becomes Shai Hulud). I'm just a general Science Fiction nerd I guess (mostly the stuff that's more in the vein of serious literature). ;D

EDIT: I'll have to see if I can grab a different pic of a sandworm for my avatar too, it's been the same for far too long!

AToE
04-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Woohoo, new sandworm avatar done! Not sure if this size of pic will let anyone figure out what it is... but hey, I already had that problem (anyone curious, the figure standing in front of the worm would be Leto II).

Medsen Fey
04-14-2011, 11:49 AM
I like the new Avatar!

Oskaar
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

dOH! I thought it was a monk with some funky hood over his head on this one! The old one was obvious! LOL

AToE
04-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Yeah, this one might be my personal all-time favourite Dune painting (by the original Dune artist, John Schoenherr - I also have a big copy of it on the sleeve for some Dune vinyl I have in my collection), but it doesn't appear to scale down to this avatar size very well.

Let me dig around for another one...