PDA

View Full Version : Coopers Carbonation Drops

K5MOW
04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I would like to make one gallon of my mead carbonated. Would one Coopers Carbonation Drop be to much to carbonat a 6oz small champain bottle of mead?

thanks Roger

AToE
04-05-2011, 10:39 AM
It's important to know the recipe, especially the specific gravity that it finished at in cases where carbonation is being considered. What ABV and SG did it finish at, and with what yeast?

K5MOW
04-05-2011, 10:47 AM
It's important to know the recipe, especially the specific gravity that it finished at in cases where carbonation is being considered. What ABV and SG did it finish at, and with what yeast?

The OG was 1.085 and the FG is 1.000

Roger

AToE
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
That sounds perfect for bottle carbonating, unfortunately I have no idea about what volume of beer those drops are meant for, maybe try google? Or, you could prime with just regular sugar, or honey (I have no clue how much for a bottle that size, but I'm sure someone would).

K5MOW
04-05-2011, 11:03 AM
That sounds perfect for bottle carbonating, unfortunately I have no idea about what volume of beer those drops are meant for, maybe try google? Or, you could prime with just regular sugar, or honey (I have no clue how much for a bottle that size, but I'm sure someone would).

Well one drop in beer would be for 12 oz. I was thinking that you need a little more of the mead. I meen more carbantion.

Roger

Golddiggie
04-05-2011, 12:12 PM
You're using 1/2 the bottle size with the drops. I believe they're designed to give about 2-2.5 CO2 volumes of carbonation. Which means, you'll be hitting at least 4 CO2 volumes with the drops in the bottle size you're looking to use. I would make sure you use champagne stoppers and cage them suckers UP. Otherwise, you'll have projectiles from them...

AToE
04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't recommend that much carbonation personally, but if it's in proper champagne (not beer) bottles it should be ok.

I'd just use about 1/2 whatever amount of priming sugar is in one of those drops and shoot for a lower carbonation level.

K5MOW
04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't recommend that much carbonation personally, but if it's in proper champagne (not beer) bottles it should be ok.

I'd just use about 1/2 whatever amount of priming sugar is in one of those drops and shoot for a lower carbonation level.

Ok thanks. Well I dont think I will use the drops. How much Honey or sugar should I use for 1 gallon?

Roger

commonsenseman
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Ok thanks. Well I dont think I will use the drops. How much Honey or sugar should I use for 1 gallon?

Roger

Here's (http://tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html) the calculator I use. I believe the sugar content of honey varies, so I'm not sure how much you'd want.

This (http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html) calculator has honey, again dunno how accurate it is because honey varies.

Chevette Girl
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
What I've been using when carbonating meads lately has been 4/5 of a cup of honey per gallon. If you haven't already, try doing a search of the forum on "carbonation", or "sparkling", or even "volumes", that should get you a couple of good hits (and where I got that amount).

AToE
04-05-2011, 04:16 PM
What I've been using when carbonating meads lately has been 4/5 of a cup of honey per gallon. If you haven't already, try doing a search of the forum on "carbonation", or "sparkling", or even "volumes", that should get you a couple of good hits (and where I got that amount).

That sounds like way way too much honey for priming, did you mean 1/5th? A full cup gives strong carbonation for a 5 gal and pretty strong for a 6 gal as well (even 7), so 4/5ths in a single gallon sounds like KABOOM to me!

Medsen Fey
04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Folks, the best way to go about priming is using weight. This is why you will always see me doing the calculation by weight. Doing it other ways leaves too much room for error and inconsistency.

Search the term atmosphere* with the star and you'll find some good threads.

The key is that 4 grams/liter of sugar produces 1 volume of CO2. You can use 80% of the weight of honey for the amount of sugar without being far off.

4/5 cup of honey in a gallon would give 212g sugar or about 13.7 volumes of CO2 and bottle bombs.

As a safety measure always weigh priming sugars.

Chevette Girl
04-06-2011, 01:33 AM
That sounds like way way too much honey for priming, did you mean 1/5th? A full cup gives strong carbonation for a 5 gal and pretty strong for a 6 gal as well (even 7), so 4/5ths in a single gallon sounds like KABOOM to me!

:BangHead: OK, no more posting when I'm that tired, I'm not even sure now whether that was a typo or a misremember. Thanks for catching that, Alan. And Medsen. 1 cup for 5 gallons, so 1/5 cup for 1 gallon.

At least I posted suggestions for things to search for, which would have shown my mistake!

And now maybe I'll try to calculate it by weight now that I've got a decent scale. Good thing I always check my brewlog notes before I add anything to a must, better make sure to check them before I post... :eek:

AToE
04-06-2011, 02:50 AM
I really should be going by weight, but I know for sure that 1 cup of even densly packed table sugar isn't too much for 6 or even 5 gallons, so I also know for sure that honey (being less sugar-ful) is safe in that amount.

If I was adding it to smaller batches I would indeed recommend by weight to be safe though!

K5MOW
04-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Thanks all for all the great information. When I bottle I now know how much to use.

Roger