PDA

View Full Version : Ever just get tired of mead?

Fisher kel Tath
04-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm reaching the point where I can't think of anything I feel like brewing for mead. Like, I want to do my cyser again, but there isn't any other ideas that really interest me. Plus I've never been big into drinking wine, so there is that.

skunkboy
04-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, then I switch to doing a beer or two, which is why I almost do 6-7 beers a year ;-)

akueck
04-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Between the judging and the "drink all mead" party at MCI, I had a beer. Man, I needed a beer. :p

I do more beer batches than mead, and a few ciders here and there. I think the variety is essential and the differences in technique really gets you thinking about each product in a new way. Best of all, you will start to cross over and do honey beer, fruit beer, braggots, malted cider, and other fun combinations where you get to be creative, while still maintaining a reasonable expectation of success.

chiguire
04-08-2011, 01:24 AM
I think the variety is essential and the differences in technique really gets you thinking about each product in a new way.

^This. I enjoy beer, wine, mead, spirits etc.
I go through phases of each. I brew beer more than mead.

Medsen Fey
04-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Ever just get tired of mead?

Not yet. :)
But I'm still trying to perfect a couple of recipes, and unfortunately it takes years to see the results. However, I do like to taste a wide variety of wines, and beers (and occasionally spirits) as that helps keep my palate awake.

wayneb
04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
While I do get tired of drinking it on occasion (post MCI is a great example), I never tire of making it. I'm always playing with recipes, either to try unusual (to me, anyway) ingredient combinations or to try different perspectives on recipe development (the "pre-historic" phase that I did a couple of years back is a good example of that). Mead offers me a degree of creative expression that I can't really get from making traditional grape wines (the ingredients are, by necessity, limited), or beer (primarily because there are now so many creative brewers, home and pro, that much of the experimentation has been tried by somebody, at sometime in the past two decades). I've been making meads for quite a while now, and I expect to continue to make them for some time to come.

BBBF
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I get bored of drinking it more than making it. As a result, I go through phases where I brew and drink more beer.

When I first started making mead, I used 71b 90% of the time. I think I got sick of that yeast more than mead itself.

wildoates
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Not yet. Way too many things I'd like to try if I had the moolah, which these days, I don't.>:(

/longing for the halcyon days before pay cuts!

Oskaar
04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
After three days of judging (Friday was the heaviest at 8 flights) my palate is yearning for hops so I oblige it by hitting up some good hoppy beer, single malt and other mead-alternatives! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar