PDA

View Full Version : Mead clouded up again

Twofox
04-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi all,

I have strawberry mead that's been aging for 8+ months. I had posted in another thread with questions as I was making it.

I had killed fermentation with sorbate, added campden tabs, and used pectic enzyme. I then fined with isenglass and racked to a 3 gal. carboy for aging. It was super clear. It was also rocket fuel. (I racked onto 9 lbs of strawberries before I realized I needed to kill fermentation!). So at this point I'm just adjusting the flavor to make it tasty :)

I back sweetened it a couple of months ago and it stayed clear. I took it out the other day to taste and possibly add some strawberry juice to it. For some reason I gave it a stir and.... ?!?!? It clouded up. Apparently there was sediment on the bottom.

Sorry for the long story, but I have a couple questions:

1. What could have caused it to generate sediment? Did the honey I back sweetened with drop out? Yeast should have been long gone dead.....

2. I plan to fine it again with Sparkeloid so I don't loose flavor. I'm thinking I need to add strawberry juice first? Or fine it first?

Thanks in advance!

AToE
04-10-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't think I'd fine it again, I'd just let it sit for a couple weeks and then rack it, should return to just as clear as it was.

wildoates
04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Things can drop out for a long time, even after fining and repeated rackings. I have a Mel that was a year and a half old, bottled it a couple of months ago after several rackings. It was clear as a bell when it went into the bottle, but when I checked them the other day they've all got an astonishing amount of sediment in them.

I feel your pain. :)

Chevette Girl
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
If all you did was kick up some sediment, it may well settle back out fairly quickly as the smaller particles might have bonded to the bigger particles.