PDA

View Full Version : Sparkloid Disaster?

Sherica
04-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I've been lurking and enjoying these boards for over a year. I became patron a little while back. My husband retired and I figured mead making would be a great project for us as we both love mead. We started with 1 gal carboys and then followed with 3 gal carboys, if we liked the mead. With your help here, we’ve been making meads pretty successfully, until the other day.

We made a 3 gal batch of Joe’s Ancient Orange which we started on 1-10-11. The fruit had all dropped to the bottom, but it wasn’t completely clear as our others had been. It was great tasting tho,btw. We had planned to have it ready for family coming into town and now it was getting pretty close. (Isn’t this how most mead disasters happen).

Well I mentioned to my husband that if he was that worried about the haze that Sparkloid might clear it up. Before I knew it he had dumped 1 ˝ tsp. Sparkloid directly into the mead. No boiling as directed.

So…….is our mead ruined? Any advised any of you could offer will be much appreciated.

wildoates
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I did that the first time I used sparkalloid too, and it...worked anyway. :)

wayneb
04-10-2011, 10:24 PM
If you want to be sure, then hit it with another dose that has been properly dissolved in boiling water. The heat helps to activate it, so using it cold and dry, it will have far less ability to bind with the haze causing proteins. The properly heated sparkolloid should also help speed the precipitation of that stuff that got added cold, too.

wildoates
04-10-2011, 11:13 PM
And don't panic, no harm done!

Sherica
04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Thx guys, I really appreciate the quick response. I feel much better now knowing it will be alright.

Wayneb, I will try your suggestion.

Now I'll go relax and enjoy some of our Raspberry Chocolate mead.