PDA

View Full Version : Fermentation tempreture

Meadaroo
04-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey guys,

I'm really new at making mead but am absolutely fascinated by it as a hobby. It has become an obsession since I started. I would like to know if if fermentation temperature makes a difference to the actual outcome of the mead. Should I cold ferment or heat it up a little. The yeast I'm using is VIN 13 -Saccharomyces cerevisiae it's used for making a fresh & fruity wine. Any ideas??

Also, if I have botched it up as far as temperature is concerned, will aging the mead make a difference??

wayneb
04-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Hello, Mr. Bee-Pee! Welcome to Gotmead!!!

Yes, temperature does make a difference. I'm not familiar with your yeast strain (which manufacturer makes that one?), but in general all yeasts will produce more phenolics and more fusels (higher order alcohols) when subjected to warmer fermentation conditions. In general, keeping any mead ferment in the lower half of the manufacturer's suggested temperature range results in a mead that is smoother tasting and ready to drink far quicker than if fermentation is conducted warm. However, all is not lost if you happened to have done a hot ferment. Most of those fusels and phenolics will eventually break down in to simpler, and pleasanter tasting, compounds with a little age. However, you will learn patience while waiting for one of those meads to mellow. It can take a year or more.... :o

mmclean
04-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Mr Bee-Pee,

Welcome to GOTMEAD?

All yeast have their own temp range. This is the range where they will be active. The cooler end of the temp range is often less stressful on the yeast, yielding a smoother product with less harsh or off flavors. Most harshness or "hot" alcohol taste form at or above mid 70s F. This harshness will fad over time, but may take one or two years.

+ what Wayne said.

Medsen Fey
04-12-2011, 04:53 PM
VIN 13 (http://www.wineyeastonline.com/products/vin-13/) (anchor yeast) look like a VERY interesting yeast to try, but the recommended temperatures are quite low and it seems ideally suited to cold ferments. I'll be interested to hear how it does for you (and the temperature you are maintaining).

TECHNICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Cold tolerance: 10C (50F)
Optimum temperature range: 12 16C (54 61F)
Osmotolerance: 27˚Balling / Brix, 14.9 Baum
Alcohol tolerance at 15C (59F): 16.5%
Foam production: low
METABOLIC CHARACTERISTICS

Glycerol production: 5 7 g/l
Volatile acidity production: generally lower than 0.3 g/l
SO2 production: none to very low
Nitrogen requirement: low
PHENOTYPE

Killer: positive
Cinnamyl decarboxylase activity: negative (POF -)

And Welcome to GotMead!

wayneb
04-12-2011, 05:00 PM
Nice find, Medsen! I wish that we could get Anchor products here in the US, but I haven't found them anywhere. This does sound like a good yeast to try - and it might be just the thing to complement the peach mel I'd like to get going sometime soon (after the purple potato batch, I think).

Meadaroo
04-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Hey guys :)
Thx 4 the warm welcome!!

& Thx so much 4 the helpful comments! I actually feel a lot better knowing that I haven't botched it up & with a little agieng (& Paitience :D) it will turn out gr8.

Right now, I've placed my fermenting mead in a bucket of water, filling it up about three quarters and adding a few ice cubes. Also planning on buying a thermometer today.

I sampled my first batch during my first racking & had to lie down. After that I awoke with a mild but unpleasant head-ache! ;D;

mmclean
04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I sampled my first batch during my first racking & had to lie down. After that I awoke with a mild but unpleasant head-ache! ;D;

I understand that those fusels and phenolics that Wayne talked about is the cause of that. Let it age until they smooth out and it should not be so bad. :)

Meadaroo
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys

Well, the bad news is that after putting my second batch of mead in a bucket of water, the temp was still higher than yeast manufacturer's recommendations. I solved this problem by putting the mead in the fridge and setting the temperature to within the yeast temp. Seems to be maintaining at a steady 12 degrees C.

Will fermentation take longer as a result? Or slow down? What can I expect as too the yeasties behaviour now that I'm fermenting at the recommended temp?

Also,

Need some feedback as to my recipe. I started with very basic equipment ( a 2l bottle)but I've basically halved Joe's ancient orange recipe & modified it a bit.. Here it is:

2l water
900g Honey (eucalyptus)
Juice of half an orange
juice of half a grapefruit
1 clove
stick cinnamon
VIN 13
handfull of raisins

Any comments welcome

Thx :)

Medsen Fey
04-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Cooler temp will make the fermentation slower (probably a lot slower) but the results should be noticeably smoother.

As for your recipe, that sounds good, except I'd increase it by a factor of about 10. :)
You might want to add some nutrients (other than just raisins) in there to help the yeast do their job.

cataclysmicvariable
11-19-2016, 10:09 PM
I got saccharomyces cerevisiae, here in the US, bought it in Klamath falls Oregon under the red star brand, I usually make breads with it, today I made my first JAOM with this strain.