PDA

View Full Version : muscadine pyment, very sour at first racking?

aczdreign
04-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey guys and gals--

I just moved my batch of muscadine pyment over to the secondary fermentation in a glass carboy, and when I gave it a taste test, it was extremely sour...I mean SOUR.

I know that the end of primary fermentation doesnt exactly provide the best representation of final taste, but I'm wondering if this is normal for muscadines, or if I neglected to add something or other to counteract the acid.

Here's the Recipe:

-~7 Gallon bags, muscadines, frozen, smashed
-~3oz rosehips, dried and crushed.
-~12 lb honey (1 gal)
-Pasteur red star champagne yeast, activated
-Yeast energizer
-Fermax yeast nutrient

26% brix

I smashed the grapes, added water, honey, and rosehips, added campden tablets, and waited until the next day to pitch my hydrated yeast. Oxygenated must by stirring with racking cane twice daily. Racked out of primary fermentation after six days.

Medsen Fey
04-17-2011, 01:53 PM
That's muscadines for you! They tend to be quite acidic.

aczdreign
04-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Hah!

Good to know I havent gone too far off course.
Is there anything that I can add to counteract this, aside from heavy backsweetening?

Medsen Fey
04-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Blending with low-acid mead.
Treating with carbonates to reduce acidity.
Malolactic fermentation.

Each approach has pros and cons, but if you have strong grape character (which muscadines usually do) I think the blending approach is worth considering.

aczdreign
04-19-2011, 12:11 AM
ok, thanks a lot medsen!
The carboy has a lot of pulp in the bottom, so I should be able to make a traditional mead and mix it in next time I rack.

aczdreign
04-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I just racked this again last night, I know it's been a while, but I've been really, REALLY busy this winter.
Taste test: Still incredibly sour. Barely any honey character at all, very strong grape smell and finish.

I'm making preparations to mix up a gallon of traditional to mix down into it. In the racking process I lost just about a gallon of the pyment to sludge, so it should fill out nicely to 3gal when it's ready to bottle.