• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Drinking mead??

Barrel Char Wood Products

Meadaroo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2011
South Africa
Okay, so i've got a fresh batch of JAO in primary (followed the recipe 2 the letter this time :)) & i was just wondering, how does one actually drink the delicious nectar?

Do u drink it like a red wine? At room temperature? Or do u drink it like a white wine? Chilled with a few cubes of ice?

Wht foods will pair well with JAO? Or is more like a dessert wine??

Also, presuming i'll b drinking it on my own, obviously nt trying to finish the bottle in one sitting - he he, how do u keep the stuff once opened? Do u refrigerate it? Or store it at room temperature?

Any help on these questions wud b gr8

Thx :confused:

ash

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 23, 2009
Ghent / Belgium
www.mspace.com
first of all: putting ice cubes in wine is BARBARIC :p

I like mine at room temperature. The taste can be very different so try what you like best.

I usually think of mead like an ancient drink. Back in the days there were no refrigerators so I like to drink it at the temperature it just happens to have but you're free to do as you like of course.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
With an open bottle, I usually flush it with private preserve and use a stopper and keep it in the fridge. It will keep for a long time that way.

JAO is like a dessert wine to me. I like it best cool (not chilled), and I like it for sipping and with fruit and cheese. I will confess to also enjoying some with roasted chicken, but for me it is more of an after dinner drink. However, that is strictly my own personal preference and each person may find the right balance differently.

My suggestion to you would be to do a little experimentation - try it cold, cool and room temp. Try it with some different foods. See what your palate likes best, and post up your thought.

Edit - The ancients did have cool caves and cellars, and also had ice-cold springs and streams so I'm sure they were capable of enjoying a cold one sometimes. :)

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
Try chilling the JAO a little, slowly sip while holding the class between your hands to slowly warm. This way you can find the point where you like it best.

I don't care for it a room temp (75-80F). It seems to improve at a few degrees above celler temp. (55-65F). Right out of the frig. seems to be to cold. Nix the ice cubes, blasphemous.

I had a bottle with home made hot wings (made with Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce added to the hot wing sauce) and a cheese pizza (dipped in bluecheese dressing). Man was that good. ;D

Bottle in 12 oz beer bottles.

Gespacho

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Calgary AB Canada
As for keeping it, I like to use a vacuum pump. At most homebrew stores, and some liquor stores, you can buy a wine pump with one or two caps that let you pump out all of the oxygen. If you get a good quality pump you can store the leftovers for a long time. Problem is my bottles don't really last all that long...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'm a weirdo, I like almost all wines at room temp, I find if it's too cold I miss out on flavour.

The $10 on one of those little vacuum pumps with the vacuum corks was well spent in my opinion because I'm the only one who drinks and I should never ever under any circumstances finish off a whole bottle by myself.

I also tend to savour my JAO's as a dessert wine, but I'd recommend not trying to pair it up with anything too sweet, might be overwelming. I usually just have it AS dessert :) I like it with a square of nice dark chocolate and I bet it would be nice with a cheesecake but I haven't tried that yet.

Meadaroo

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 12, 2011
South Africa
Wow Guys!!

This has been super helpful -

Thanks everybody :)

I was also wondering wht JAO tastes like bt i read mmclean's post on another thread & tht definatly gave me a good idea on taste

Echostatic

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2011
Dallas, Tx
I like mine after it's been in the fridge for a while. I heard mention of pairing with cheese. Any particular kind of cheese to pair it with?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I like mine after it's been in the fridge for a while. I heard mention of pairing with cheese. Any particular kind of cheese to pair it with?

Pairing what with cheese? Any mead? Sure, you can do it but it will depend on what the mead tastes like. ;D

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I like them based on their style - a lighter braggot I'll probably serve as cold as I can get it, and then enjoy the changes that occur as a large glass warms up over time. A darker braggot I'll probably have at a more medium chilled temp, not as cold.

My dry traditionals I generally like chilled, not all the way down to refridgerator temps though. Most of these are fine at pretty much any temp, different serving temps will bring out totally different characteristics though.

My big-red-mels I generally like at room temperature, though once in a while I'll chill them just a tiny bit.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I haven't found a mead that didn't play well with a wide variety of cheeses myself, but I'm a great lover of cheese and that may well have just over ridden any clashes! I'm certainly not good at pairing drinks with food, I find most things go well with most things (to a point, I like a more subtle drink with more subtle food, and loud drink with loud food! Beyond that it all seems to work in my opinion!).

crowquill

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jan 13, 2008
Syracuse NY
A couple of us just had a bottle of JAO last night, so I'll tell you what I did. The mead is kept in the basement which is probably in the low 60s now. I tend to prefer my meads at a little below room temperature but not cold. I serve JAO, and most meads, in white wine glasses but I use red wine glasses for dark melomels.

I really like JAO and this reminds me it's almost time to start another six gallon batch....

Gespacho

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Calgary AB Canada
I had some nice aged gruyere with my oaked mead sunday night and it tasted pretty damn good. The mead is pretty dry, and I enjoy it just below room temp. I stick it in the freezer for 10 or 15 minutes.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I like my JAOM at cellar temps (55-60F) and I find it goes best with very spicy or otherwise strong flavored foods like an eye watering chili or a thai coconut chicken soup but I like it best paired with smoky foods like pulled pork or a ribeye cooked over natural coals. Basically anything that's very savory and will complement the JAOM. Things with more subtle flavors will simply get over-run by the intense flavor of JAOM. I also like it as an aperitif in one of those tiny little tulip glasses AND as an after dinner drink in those same pinky-popping tulips. But my favorite glass for JAOM overall is a big balloon so I can savor that spicy aroma that's almost better than the flavor....almost.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I like to drink my mead when I play Skyrim (that's what got me into this in the first place, since mead is everywhere in that game).

I usually chill mine and let it warm up a little bit before I start sipping. If it's too cold the flavors stay closed.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns