PDA

View Full Version : Temperature in the Secondary

THawk
04-19-2011, 12:19 AM
What's the ideal temperature for the secondary? I've racked my 2 batches where I've used a wine yeast (D-47 and EC-1118) but they're still at room temperature -- and it's starting to get plenty warm here...

AToE
04-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Same as aging wine, you'll have to google it if you want the precise temps, but I believe in fahrenheit it works out to something like mid 50s? Not too cool (will slow down the aging) and not too hot (causes badness).

THawk
04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
will the cold temp make the harshness go away faster? The responses I've had from friends who have sampled my batches (well, sampled the ones I take to work for lab testing) have said that while it's got a good smell, it kicks pretty hard...

Medsen Fey
04-19-2011, 09:15 AM
No the cooler temp won't take the harshness away faster, but it does allow the mead to develop through normal aging.

Much of my stuff gets aged at room temp (23 to 26 C) and that creates some serious shortcomings. At the recent mazer cup competition I had a few batches where the judges detected sherry notes, or signs of possible oxidation with questions about aging practices. Since I am very good at topping up or keeping things in keg with headspace that has been purged of air, and I use sulfites in most batches, the cause of this is most likely due to my storage temperature. I had one batch stored in my laundry room and the heat from the dryer turned it into a baked sherry (temps around 32 C).

Batches that are sweet are at high risk for bacterial spoilage if kept this warm, especially if sulfites are not used.

All in all, if there is any way that you can store and age in a cool place (10-15 C) you'll be better off.

tweak'e
04-20-2011, 01:19 AM
over the weekend i had some of my cyser, its fairly young still. i noticed quite a difference between the bottles in the shed and the few that have been sitting in the fridge for the last few weeks.
i shall do some more "testing" :occasion14: :drunken_smilie: and see of the fridge bottles do improve faster than the shed bottles.

THawk
04-20-2011, 02:11 AM
so basically, it's a bit too late to chill my secondary vessels so that the harshness goes away? It's also getting a bit warm here in the Philippines -- last temp check hit a scorching 36C!!