PDA

View Full Version : PH level

tweak'e
04-20-2011, 01:36 AM
i'm looking at doing another cyser but with a bit of feijoa juice in it as well.
however the yeast i've picked to use requires ph to be over 3.2.
catch is my PH meter won't be here before the weekend. now can i guess what the PH is or test it later and adjust it to suit in a weeks time ??

btw yeast is Vintnerís Harvest MA33.

AToE
04-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Is it going to be all juice, no water? I could be wrong, but as I understand it fruit does help buffer the acidity, so the chance of dropping too low is far less than with a traditional. It might be possible to simply go for it and then monitor the yeast's activity (speed and sulphur production) and then just add a tsp or so of potassium carbonate if it seems to be in real trouble?

OR wait a week!

tweak'e
04-20-2011, 02:23 AM
all juice. i just increase the suger level with honey, no water added. havn't got into doing it direct from fruit yet.
edit: its probably only going to be a few days. i'll put a few tsp of potcarb in. i'm guessing its not going to hurt it. i could wait but time and temps are good at the moment.

Medsen Fey
04-20-2011, 08:53 AM
It is quite unlikely that the pH will be below 3.2 if you are using all juice (unless you are using something like lemon juice). With apples it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't add any carbonates, and would go ahead and pitch the yeast. I did have problems with my mayhaw batch with that yeast, probably due to pH issues, so I believe they are correct and that it needs the pH to be at an appropriate level.

You can check the pH later just to confirm where it is.

tweak'e
04-21-2011, 01:34 AM
cheers for that :)