PDA

View Full Version : Things to do while waiting for your mead...

Tiwas
05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to share what I made for my girlfriend's birthday. It kind of relates to my interest for everything norse, and it's actually the exact same technique used for making chain maille - only with silver :)

Guinlilly
05-01-2011, 10:13 AM
That's beautiful!

Tiwas
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks :) Haven't done any jewelry for a few years, but it was nice giving her something that means something instead of just some crap I bought just to get something ;)

Guinlilly
05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
My boyfriend and I feel the same way. :) Last year for my birthday he got me a session to finish my backpiece. Totally awesome present, I may take a page out of his book and do the same this year so he can get his brewing/ meadmaking sleeves finished.

Chevette Girl
05-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Nice byzantine maille! :) I'm making myself a stainless steel chainmaille watchband...

And my hubby made me a weapons rack for my b-day one year ;D

Loadnabox
05-01-2011, 11:02 AM
I was going to ask what other people do while waiting, maybe I'll have to post a pic of my RC Heli , I finally got the whole thing balanced out and now my transmitter is broken *grumble*

Chevette Girl
05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
RC chopper? Cool! Always wanted to get into that more than I did, never got past balsa wood model planes... then I found horses... and boys... and wood carving, drawing, beadwork, wirework, rebuilding Chevettes, armourmaking, winemaking, martial arts, swordwork, jogging... I just wanna know how the hell I once had time for a full time job...

Guinlilly
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
We do homesteading here - chickens, garden, drinking horn carving, etc. I do needlework and drawing. I used to ride and show horses as well, but I don't have the money for it now. :(

Chevette Girl
05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
We do homesteading here - chickens, garden, drinking horn carving, etc. I do needlework and drawing. I used to ride and show horses as well, but I don't have the money for it now. :(

Always wanted to do something like homesteading too... Never showed, but I really can't afford my pony either (working part-time to keep her), but I've had her 20 years (she's 22 going on 4) so I'll just keep her till the end, then no more horsies... I've got a gig and keep meaning to teach her to drive...

Loadnabox
05-01-2011, 12:01 PM
RC chopper? Cool! Always wanted to get into that more than I did, never got past balsa wood model planes... then I found horses... and boys... and wood carving, drawing, beadwork, wirework, rebuilding Chevettes, armourmaking, winemaking, martial arts, swordwork, jogging... I just wanna know how the hell I once had time for a full time job...

I'm kinda new to flying RC Heli's; they're tougher 'n hell. I'd amaze you at flying a 3d aircraft though, hang it on the propeller then back it down till the rudder touches.

Tiwas
05-01-2011, 12:10 PM
My boyfriend and I feel the same way. :) Last year for my birthday he got me a session to finish my backpiece. Totally awesome present, I may take a page out of his book and do the same this year so he can get his brewing/ meadmaking sleeves finished.

I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into designing my backpiece (we're talking tattoos, right?). She's a *really* good artist, but I think she think they're kind of tacky...I just have to keep working her ;)

Tiwas
05-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Nice byzantine maille! :) I'm making myself a stainless steel chainmaille watchband...

And my hubby made me a weapons rack for my b-day one year ;D

It's not byzantine. Or...well...the byzantine got their maille from scandinavia, so I guess you can call it that. This is a design found in ancient norse jewelry, but has later been found all over the world (except for Japan, which, for some reason, used an inverted design for all their maille that I know of)

I was also thinking about making a watchband, but my diving watch is a bit big, I'm not sure if it would hold while diving, and it would be a lot heavier.

Guinlilly
05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into designing my backpiece (we're talking tattoos, right?). She's a *really* good artist, but I think she think they're kind of tacky...I just have to keep working her ;)

Yep, tattoos! My entire upper back is done in pieces from the Altamira and Lascaux caves. I also have a pegasus and my last horse's brand tattooed on me.

Guinlilly
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Always wanted to do something like homesteading too... Never showed, but I really can't afford my pony either (working part-time to keep her), but I've had her 20 years (she's 22 going on 4) so I'll just keep her till the end, then no more horsies... I've got a gig and keep meaning to teach her to drive...

I had my last horse about nine years ago. I had to put her to sleep when she coliced and her intestines twisted. :( We did basic dressage and a little jumping, she was only seven so it was really early in her life. I've always wanted to learn to drive, but I've never had the horse for it! I'm planning on learning side-saddle in the near future, once I get some college debt paid off. :D

Chevette Girl
05-02-2011, 07:25 PM
It's not byzantine. Or...well...the byzantine got their maille from scandinavia, so I guess you can call it that.

I've never done jewlery of that style, but my armourmaster's wife does and she calls it byzantine... however I'll call her on that next time it comes up! :)

Chevette Girl
05-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I had my last horse about nine years ago. I had to put her to sleep when she coliced and her intestines twisted.

Sorry to hear about your mare... mine's had a couple of really weird infections including erlichia and leptospirosis (the lepto left her with some mild eye damage and a need for anti-inflamatories for the rest of her life), but colic has never been a problem for her so far, although the collection of melanomas currently growing in her digestive tract will probably cause impaction colics eventually... Grey horses, what can you do... We only do little jumps because I ride bareback, my knees can't take short stirrups and you bounce off on the other side if you jump anything big without stirrups... Must get the tyres changed on the gig so we can see if she kills us all when I hitch her up to it :)

I'd love to have a hobby farm and enough critters to be self-sufficient (would definitely include a beehive!) but my hubby hates the great outdoors unless there's a rifle or heavy equipment involved, so I'd end up with all the chores, not in the cards at the moment, we're too busy making armour in the metal shop...

TheAlchemist
05-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Do love the homestead concept...that's a long term goal...would love to do loom weaving and spinning...and bee keeping, of course.

wy_white_wolf
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I've been building a Cabin in the mountains.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f220/wy_white_wolf/Cabin/100_0629.jpg

Eventually we'll be homesteaders on the place. Until then just doing what I can to get ready.

Tiwas
05-03-2011, 12:53 AM
I've never done jewlery of that style, but my armourmaster's wife does and she calls it byzantine... however I'll call her on that next time it comes up! :)

Didn't find exactly what I was looking for, but by using this search (http://www.google.no/search?q=byzantine+guard+viking&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a), I did at least get a lot of references to vikings being "the byzantine guard". Also, if you look at the weapons and armor, you'll see a distinct viking style, as opposed to the rest of the armors and weapons from the same time and period in other parts of the army and guards down there.

TheAlchemist
05-03-2011, 08:40 AM

Eventually we'll be homesteaders on the place. Until then just doing what I can to get ready.

Nice house, wy_wolf!

Chevette Girl
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM

A-frames are so awesome... I used to spend my summers in a small one... :) My dad had insulated it so well that even in the winter with no heating, one person's body heat would keep it around room temperature...

Good4TheCompany
05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
So i saw mention of drinking horns... and seeing how I just started cleaning some horns I picked up to make them drinking ones, I have a question: Is there a food AND alcohol safe sealant that I can use?

Now I ask this because my research so far hasn't yielded any for sure results, but I want it capable of holding high alcohol percentages (for shot taking, one is kinda small) and also able to handle some nice hot mead or grog.

My original plan was to just clean them repeatedly and finally cure them using a nice thick heavy stout of some sort, but they still currently smell as horrid as they started, so I decided sealing them would be the best bet (not that I am anywhere near done cleaning or sanding)

Anyways hope this post is relevant because it is what I am working on while waiting, besides working which I do a lot of recently.

AToE
05-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I think the classic thing most people do is clean them and then fill them with beewax and dump out the excess. Not sure how that would fare with hot beverages though (I've never made a mead I'd drink hot so it's never come up! Plus I like a good wine glass for my meads, unless they're braggots, then a wine glass or nice beer glass will do).

Good4TheCompany
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I've read that beeswax is the classic, and from all my research so far I have found that hot and horn don't go together, which is fine (more rare for me to drink the hot drinks). But how does Beeswax do against hard alcohol?

As for my horns, with one of them my plan is to carve the Sons of Skyrim Poem in the Draconic runes in celebration for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Which brings my other hobby, gaming, and I can't wait for Skyrim, also probably gonna start a mead themed for it to be drunk on release day while I game til my eyes bleed :p

veritas
05-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I remember people Ive met using some type of food grade varnish for their drinking horns that I was told would hold hot liquids. Sorry I don't know what it was called but chances are searching out something like that may help.

Guinlilly
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I've read that beeswax is the classic, and from all my research so far I have found that hot and horn don't go together, which is fine (more rare for me to drink the hot drinks). But how does Beeswax do against hard alcohol?

As for my horns, with one of them my plan is to carve the Sons of Skyrim Poem in the Draconic runes in celebration for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Which brings my other hobby, gaming, and I can't wait for Skyrim, also probably gonna start a mead themed for it to be drunk on release day while I game til my eyes bleed :p

I brought up horn carving. :) I drink mead, beer etc out of my horn and it's coated with beeswax. My boyfriend has many horns including one which holds 6 bottles of mead (about a gallon and half) that he has used for years and the beeswax is still going strong. My personal horn has Sleipnir jumping down out of the branches of Yggdrasil descending into the roots (Helheim).

Horns aren't really meant for drinking hot beverages out of. Heat makes the horn itself malleable. It's best to keep the hot liquids to wooden tankards. :D

wy_white_wolf
05-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Nice house, wy_wolf!

Thanks. At 20' by 20' base it's only a cabin. We'll build the main house when we can move there fulltime and use this as a guest cabin or art studio.

Chevette girl - We had this spray foamed so it should be real easy to heat. Hopefully I'll get the interior done enough this summer that we can use it next winter.

Chevette Girl
05-04-2011, 12:54 AM

I have a drinking gourd that I coated with beeswax, and so far hard alcohol hasn't affected the beeswax surface...

Good4TheCompany
05-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone, Beeswax it is! I just hope my guy has some when I go pick up honey next. I have 4 horns total, but only two that I have started cleaning and still need a lot. They range from only 7" to 9", so they are all fairly small, but didn't want to invest time and money in a big one until I had done it, got the 4 horns for 20 bucks including shipping. And the more I thought about it the more I realized that I don't drink hot alcohol drinks all that much, but my huge glass mug that I drink tea out of daily is just fine for when I do.

As for what else I do while waiting on brews, I play games, watch shows and smoke ALOT (not cigarettes though, quit that years ago) and resist the erg to taste the brews. And as for both my loves, got my Everclear ready, just waiting on my buddy to give me "something" once his babies are done so I can marry the two.
**I apologize if it is against the rules to bring up my favorite plant.**

Good4TheCompany
05-04-2011, 02:31 AM
I brought up horn carving. :) I drink mead, beer etc out of my horn and it's coated with beeswax. My boyfriend has many horns including one which holds 6 bottles of mead (about a gallon and half) that he has used for years and the beeswax is still going strong. My personal horn has Sleipnir jumping down out of the branches of Yggdrasil descending into the roots (Helheim).

Horns aren't really meant for drinking hot beverages out of. Heat makes the horn itself malleable. It's best to keep the hot liquids to wooden tankards. :D
I would like to see pictures of your horns if you got them :p, 8 legged horses are always good, I was thinking of doing a Beta Ray Bill design (Thorse!) but am still unsure.

Guinlilly
05-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I certainly don't mind sharing. These are the ones I have photos of. The Sleipnir design is mine, the rest of the designs and the carvings on these were done by my boyfriend. I'm giving links and not embedding images 'cause there are so many pics. :)

Sleipnir:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns029.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns028.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns027.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns023.jpg

The epically large Thor horn:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Horns022.jpg

Raven horn (unfinished):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Fall008.jpg

Yggdrasil horn:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Fall003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Guinlilly/Fall004.jpg

Good4TheCompany
05-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Very nice Guinlilly, I like the design on yours a lot! How hard was it to do the metal rim? I'll have to definitely post pics of mine once I get started on the carving process, I just don't know if I'll do my Skyrim one first, or the Beta Ray Bill. With the BRB one it most likely will involve Thor as well. and just in case you don't know of the great Thorse, here are some pics I'm using as reference so far, hope the pics aren't too big :o
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image/OmegaFlight3_BetaRayBill_2.jpg
http://gillen.cream.org/brbgodhunter1.jpg

Guinlilly
05-04-2011, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Good4TheCompany;166334]Very nice Guinlilly, I like the design on yours a lot! How hard was it to do the metal rim? [QUOTE]

I had to put a band on the horn because it was super thin at the top and had a little bit of damage. I knew this horn was going to see a LOT of use so it had to have that extra protection. To be honest, on that particular horn it was a pain in the butt. The opening on the horn is oval and because of the curvature of the horn the band kept slipping. It had to be glued on and then the screws were screwed in and the heads ground off smooth. Where the band and the horn don't meet was filled in further with a glue. It's perfect now though!

Loadnabox
05-04-2011, 05:14 PM
My family has some Norse artifacts from the 1600's. What was apparently used was a "Skoal Bowl" (spelling could be completely off there I would love for one of our friends in Norway to correct me). I'll try to get some pics, but imagine a very wide but shallow bowl, about 24" diameter but 8" deep, with a flat spout along the top rim of the bowl.

The spout wasn't a hollow hole, but looked like a flat handle protruding perpendicular to the rim that had a 1 cm deep groove carved in it. The spout started around 4" across with a 3" wide groove that narrowed to mouth width at the end.

I've never tried it, but supposedly it's scary to drink from because you keep tipping the bowl back, and back, and back, then the drink suddenly comes rushing at your face.

The bowl would be passed around family style to all enjoying the libations.

Sorry if this seems off-topic, but I thought it relevant as it occurred to me that I haven't seen any drinking horns in the family artifacts, but then again we don't have all of them. The skoal bowls certainly don't lend themselves to travel as would a horn with a cap, and my family would have been rather poor, so they wouldn't have had a fancy horn either (the bowl is made of wood)

Smarrikåka
05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
What was apparently used was a "Skoal Bowl" (spelling could be completely off there I would love for one of our friends in Norway to correct me).

In modern Swedish the word "Skål" means "Bowl", and then I mean just any bowl, and not a specific bowl that's used to drink out of.

So saying "Skål bowl" makes no sense at all in modern Swedish (though it may in modern Norwegian), as it would translate "bowl bowl". A bowl used to drink out of would probably be called something like "Dryckesskål".

But what's interesting is that "Skål" in Swedish also means "cheers", which might be a clue to the history of the word.

I imagine the thing you're refering to is pretty similar to what's called a mazer in English.

AToE
05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
So saying "Skål bowl" makes no sense at all in modern Swedish (though it may in modern Norwegian), as it would translate "bowl bowl".

Hey, we're English, we don't need for things to make sense! Take "chai tea" for example. ;)

Loadnabox
05-04-2011, 06:18 PM
In modern Swedish the word "Skål" means "Bowl", and then I mean just any bowl, and not a specific bowl that's used to drink out of.

So saying "Skål bowl" makes no sense at all in modern Swedish (though it may in modern Norwegian), as it would translate "bowl bowl". A bowl used to drink out of would probably be called something like "Dryckesskål".

But what's interesting is that "Skål" in Swedish also means "cheers", which might be a clue to the history of the word.

I imagine the thing you're refering to is pretty similar to what's called a mazer in English.

Interesting you mention the cheers part, family tradition is to say "SKOAL!" after a toast before drinking. So I kinda knew that part.

The tradition that's getting lost is the song "Hoax auber lagen" which I could be completely bungling once again

Smarrikåka
05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Not a song that rings any bells. But it's supposed to be from the 1600s?

I can't really make sense of it. "lagen" means "the law", "auber" sounds more like german but either way probably means "over" or "above".

I don't see how the word hoax comes into it. It's 18th century and with anglo-saxon origin as far as I know.

jkane
05-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Sorry for being late to this thread.

The sealant you are looking for that can handle hot liquids is called Envirotex Lite. It is a 2 part epoxy that is food safe. I use it on my horns and to seal my plastic conical fermenters. Ace hardware sells it locally. I buy it online myself.

YogiBearMead726
05-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I love all the discussion about horn making and homesteading! Homesteading is what I'd love to do, but with no real yard to speak of, it's a little bit hard.

On a different note, I make lots and lots of beer while waiting for my meads to be ready. I've been averaging one brew every other week, so I'm pretty well distracted from tasting the delicious aging mead. :p

Good4TheCompany
05-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Sorry for being late to this thread.

The sealant you are looking for that can handle hot liquids is called Envirotex Lite. It is a 2 part epoxy that is food safe. I use it on my horns and to seal my plastic conical fermenters. Ace hardware sells it locally. I buy it online myself.

Well thank you so very much for the information, I think I'm gonna make a stop by my local ace on my way home from work tonight, for whatever reason I could not find the info I was seeking before now (teh intranets had failed me). I was at the point of giving up searching and using some beeswax (not that I won't on at least one of my horns)

Now my only question to you about this product, how do you usually set it up to dry? and do you coat both inside and out with it? since its a pour on type of epoxy I can guess it be simple enough to pour it into the horn and back out a couple times to get a even layer on the inside, but if you do use it on the outside, how do you stop stuff from getting sealed to the horn from drying?

Though I got plenty of time, I still haven't finalized the design for my first carving (unless you count the Skyrim one, which will consist of the dragon symbol on one side and the poem in draconic on the other). But once again thank you for the resin info!

As for other stuff I've been doing waiting for my meads, besides planning more of coarse, is reading The Compleat Meadmaker (finally!). Also picked up a mini r/c helicopter (makes me feel like a little kid again!) and have been terrorizing my animals with it, and soon co-workers once I get the control down. And am planning a trip to tour/tasting at the Rabbit's Foot Meadery, it is way closer to my work than I thought, so trying to get a group of co-workers together then find out a time we can go!

TheAlchemist
08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
What to do while waiting for mead?

Break out the passport.

wildoates
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
School starts Monday, so I know what I'm doing that keeps me away from the fun things. :)

Soyala_Amaya
08-13-2011, 09:43 PM
My method for curing horns is after using the bleach to eat away the inside gunk overnight, let it sit for three to four days with vinegar, then again with mint dentur tablets. Really tightens it up, cleans everything out, and gets them smelling nice. A final couple of days can be used with a salt water soak if it's just not getting the smells completely out. (Make sure you run your finger as far down into the horn as possible after the bleach and vinegar baths, if you feel anything 'slimy', the horn isn't clean yet and you need to keep cleaning it with the bleach and vinegar.) Finally, get a good stout ale or a strong spirit and let that soak into the horn for another couple of days to finish curing it.

As for sealant, I forget what it's called, but it's food safe salad bowl/cutting board sealer. It's made to soak into/cover up wooden surfaces that are going to be around a lot of bacteria, and it's clear so it's a LOT prettier than brewers pitch (which is another meathod, and it's normally a black or brown thick paint type product you have to be very certain you cover everything with).

I've made all of mine and my guy's drinking horns, and they haven't failed me yet!

As for what I do to kill time between batches...well, obviously I make horns, I also bead jewelry, am learning wood carving (mjolnir!), bake, and spend way too muh time snuggling my fur babies (plus one spikey butt baby).

Chevette Girl
08-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Well, yesterday we got ourselves knocked about in armour at a tournament... now I'm about to go do some sewing... been meaning to get to that for years... two trunks of fabric and I haven't removed anything from either of them for any serious project since before I got married in '09! This week it's making fantasy armour in the shop in preparation for the Toronto Fan Expo show.

School starting already? Gack. There oughtta be a law about not starting school till AFTER Labour Day weekend!! Craziness! Harrumph!

Soyala, I'd be interested if you can dig up the name of that sealant... I treat my cutting boards and wooden kitchen stuff with tung oil. My horn was cleaned before I got it and I have no idea what they did so I beeswaxed it. And what kind of critters do you have? I'm guessing a hedgehog? :)

wildoates
08-14-2011, 05:07 PM
I'd like to get a horn for my son one day--since he's living in Norway now he really ought to have one, doncha think?!

;D

And CG? We end mid-May, so I don't mind the early start a'tall. :)

Chevette Girl
08-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I'd like to get a horn for my son one day--since he's living in Norway now he really ought to have one, doncha think?!

;D

And CG? We end mid-May, so I don't mind the early start a'tall. :)

Heh, it would be fitting to have a horn.

Well, when you put it that way... here, we run from the day after Labour day right until end of June (that's elementary, high schools have exams starting early June so they're usually finished mid-to-late June)... plus or minus a week, some school boards have started starting and finishing a week early. I think you still have fewer school days than I did :) lucky you!

Soyala_Amaya
08-14-2011, 08:31 PM
It's called Behelen Salad Bowl Finish...literally. It's a type of tung oil varnish, and if you do it just like the directions tell you it finishes smooth, hard, water resistant, and the acidity of alcohol (or salad dressings) doesn't affect it. It cures a lot faster than straight tung oil, is a lot more user friendly, takes fewer coats, and can be applied with a paintbrush. I love it!

As for my critters, two dogs, a half dog (my mom's chihuahua, I don't give it full dog status), two cats, a turtle, and yep, my albino hedgehog.

And everyone I know is either already back in school or starting tomorrow and most of them still go till June! You're lucky wildoats! On a seperate note, http://www.heathenhorns.com/ these are good horn people. They'd probably ship wherever you want, and their carving is amazing! I know Tyr's Helm Tribe personally (have raised horns and shared mead with them several times) and they are good folk.

Guinlilly
08-14-2011, 09:30 PM
And everyone I know is either already back in school or starting tomorrow and most of them still go till June! You're lucky wildoats! On a seperate note, http://www.heathenhorns.com/ these are good horn people. They'd probably ship wherever you want, and their carving is amazing! I know Tyr's Helm Tribe personally (have raised horns and shared mead with them several times) and they are good folk.

Very small world, then again the Heathen world is pretty small. We probably have a friend in common. :) I'm a horn carver as well, though I use only beeswax - not into chemicals. You can see my work at http://www.facebook.com/#!/yggdrasilsbranches (Yggdrasil's Branches).

wildoates
08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Hmmmm...heathenhorn, eh? Wonder if I can find a Christianhorn. :)

Our school year used to be longer, but with furloughs it's much shorter, and unfortunately so is my paycheck. It's been a rough couple o' years, that's for sure.

Much of my summer was playing around with dollhouse miniatures (http://www.etsy.com/listing/79718903/dollhouse-miniature-food-grab-bag?ref=pr_shop), although I don't have a dollhouse and never have had a dollhouse. For some reason the minis really intrigue me, though. I've a studio that's a mess--if I could stay with one expensive hobby it'd be fine, but I have several. And I can't sell the mead.

:)

Chevette Girl
08-15-2011, 12:16 AM
I gave up the dollhouse when I moved out of my parents' house but the furniture, cutlery and all the stuff is all packed neatly away in boxes (model car boxes, the models are assembled and in another box :p), I figure one of these years when I have a bigger house for all my stupid hobbies, I'll construct a dollhouse for the furniture...In the meantime, my hubby and I have embarked upon assembling and painting Warhammer miniatures, I love doing the terrain, it's akin to model railroad terrain...

AToE
08-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Hmmmm...heathenhorn, eh? Wonder if I can find a Christianhorn. :)

:)

Probably, just cover it with crosses instead.;) I've got to get a pic up on my facebook of the Ethiopian cross I picked up while over there, you'd love it. Very Catholic and ornate, but a little exotic and wild too. I love religious thingymabobs. :)

wildoates
08-15-2011, 12:30 AM
I loved looking at the photos of your trip that you posted on FB, Alan...I'll probably never go there, as there are loads of places I'd rather go first, but unlike most people, I LOVE looking at other people's travellogs. :) One of the reasons why I shy away from the Nordic heathen images is because they look way too much like all the white supremacist tats my nephew has scratched all over his body, and that just gives me the creeps. Ew. donotlike

CG, I've always wanted a dollhouse, never could afford it. I just made a floor for a dollhouse room in a mid-19th century monster of a house--the one room's floor was 14 X 24 inches. I couldn't believe how much the lady was willing to pay for the FLOOR of ONE room out of NINE in that house. She said she'll send photos when she gets the floor installed, I'll post here when she does.

Now I really need to head for my bed, gotta get rested for the first day of school. I hope I sleep, usually don't, but I'll try. :)

TheAlchemist
08-15-2011, 09:39 AM
As always, gotmeaders are a wealth of information and resourcefulness! Thenks for the hornylinks. Wild, they could use your skills in the Thorne Rooms! I've always been enchanted by tinythings...I DO love having a sewing machine...

AToE
08-15-2011, 12:50 PM
One of the reasons why I shy away from the Nordic heathen images is because they look way too much like all the white supremacist tats my nephew has scratched all over his body, and that just gives me the creeps. Ew. donotlike.

I know, I feel the same way often - it really bugs me how those goofs have appropriated so many nice symbols (swastika, iron cross, hammer of Thor) and made them into symbols of hate.

wildoates
08-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Agreed.

If I got my son a horn I'd want it carved with something to give homage to his American heritage, stranded in Oslo for love as he is. :)

Soyala_Amaya
08-16-2011, 09:11 AM
I can understand where you're coming from wildoats, and the kindred I am Friends with does often have to deal with...less enlightened people when they see pictures of some of our ceremonies. For example, for midsummer we burned a sunwheel with a fyrfolt on it. The fyrfolt rune was derived from the image of Thor swinging his hammer around and around to battle the jotuns, but anyone today would look at it and go "OMG! Swastika!"

We are Northern Folk Re-constructionists, and don't feel like we should have to sweep a symbol of strength, love, and honor under the rug because someone else did something stupid with it.

My little rant over, Jeff does custom work and I've seen him do all sorts of weird things because it amused him at the time. (A wizard's staff that had a solar powered lightening ball on top for our Gothi for example) He would probably work with you even if the image wasn't Heathen related, as long as you were polite about what you were asking for.

Guinlilly
08-16-2011, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Soyala_Amaya;173228]I can understand where you're coming from wildoats, and the kindred I am Friends with does often have to deal with...less enlightened people when they see pictures of some of our ceremonies. For example, for midsummer we burned a sunwheel with a fyrfolt on it. The fyrfolt rune was derived from the image of Thor swinging his hammer around and around to battle the jotuns, but anyone today would look at it and go "OMG! Swastika!"[QUOTE]

This is a theory by Davidson, there is no concrete evidence to say that is how the fylfot was developed. It could mean the four seasons, it could be a associated with the Bronze Age sunwheel, or it could be anything. The symbol itself falls across most ancient peoples, so you really can't say with certainty that it is derived from Mjolinir.

AToE
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
With the "swastika" I've become unsure whether cultures shared this symbol early on, or whether it was simply reinvented over and over because it's a simple and pleasing symbol. You have it as the fylfolt in Northern Europe, you have it in India (who are closely related to the Europeans but I believe this symbol came around there long after the split, and wouldn't have shown up in Europe until many many centuries after that) - and I even saw it on churches in Ethiopia, but they say it's nothing to do with anything, it's just a cross made to look fancy to them, and that only dates back about 900 years.

Totally neat if all 3 made it up independantly, and not really that unlikely given it's simplicity and geometric-goodness.

Then the Nazi's went and made it a symbol of evil of course... :(

MrMooCow
08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Dance nekkid. Unlike Terry Bradshaw (Failure to Launch), I dream big. I'm not just going to have a nekkid room.... Someday I'll have a Nekkid Meadery!

*streaks the thread*

*runs through the pole beans, through the fruits and vegetables,
nekkid as a jay bird.*

TheAlchemist
08-16-2011, 11:26 PM
With the "swastika" I've become unsure whether cultures shared this symbol early on, or whether it was simply reinvented over and over because it's a simple and pleasing symbol. You have it as the fylfolt in Northern Europe, you have it in India...I even saw it on churches in Ethiopia...Totally neat if all 3 made it up independently, and not really that unlikely given it's simplicity and geometric-goodness...

Ah! Now you're talkin' a language I understand! The Collective Unconscious! Carl Jung! The Archetypes! The Hundredth Monkey! It's Ubiquitous!

AToE
08-17-2011, 01:36 AM
Ah! Now you're talkin' a language I understand! The Collective Unconscious! Carl Jung! The Archetypes! The Hundredth Monkey! It's Ubiquitous!

Ha! ;D I was more just thinking the common aesthetic of simple geometry though! We people like shapes that make sense but also surprise us I think. There's also some great science behind why we (humans) invented our various musical note systems, and why we enjoy "in tune" harmonies more than "out of tune" ones (generally... dissonance has it's place ;)).

Soyala_Amaya
08-17-2011, 03:25 PM
@Gunlilly, I understand what you're saying, and you're correct in all technicalities. What I was saying was just the agreed/accepted common look of the rune in my kindred. Someone else's faith will vary, depending on where they come from.

@ATOTE, there are various myths from around the world, not just across countries, that match in disturbing ways. Almost every culture has some sort of vampire type mythos for example, though the details can vary. Several societies had different kinds of vampires depending on who was attacked and what was sucked out. The dragon is also a global creature, and so are many other creatures. I don't think it's hard to believe that symbols would be any different, and just like the creatures, the meaning behind the symbol would change depending on the culture that's using it.

(I also read a lot while I'm waiting for my mead to age, heh. Yay Collective Unconscious/Entanglement Theory!)

Guinlilly
08-17-2011, 09:18 PM
@Gunlilly, I understand what you're saying, and you're correct in all technicalities. What I was saying was just the agreed/accepted common look of the rune in my kindred. Someone else's faith will vary, depending on where they come from.

@ATOTE, there are various myths from around the world, not just across countries, that match in disturbing ways. Almost every culture has some sort of vampire type mythos for example, though the details can vary. Several societies had different kinds of vampires depending on who was attacked and what was sucked out. The dragon is also a global creature, and so are many other creatures. I don't think it's hard to believe that symbols would be any different, and just like the creatures, the meaning behind the symbol would change depending on the culture that's using it.

(I also read a lot while I'm waiting for my mead to age, heh. Yay Collective Unconscious/Entanglement Theory!)

The fylfot also isn't a rune, it's a symbol. It was never used for writing and is not found in the Elder or Younger Futhark. I too am Heathen, a reconstructionist Heathen, and don't state things as fact that my kindred believes if it isn't in fact a fact.

AToE
08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Let's stay friendly people, you're making me uncomfortable and I survive the Origin of Life thread in one piece!

But yes, I've never seen it used as a rune.

MrMooCow
08-18-2011, 07:32 AM
Almost every culture has some sort of vampire type mythos for example, though the details can vary. Several societies had different kinds of vampires depending on who was attacked and what was sucked out.

I took a class in University at Ohio State that was all about vampires. Did you know that if left out past a certain date, vegetables will become vampires? They'll go "Burrl Burrl" and attack people.

Oh, and the Count from Sesame Street is actually an anthropologically correct vampire. Slavic Vampires were obsessed with counting. The Slavs would carry pockets full of sesame seeds, so that if being chased by a vampire they could scatter them in front of it. The vampire would be compelled to stop and count the seeds.

Aren't you glad your tax dollars subsidized my "education"? ;D

MrMooCow
08-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Let's stay friendly people

*humps AToE's leg*

kudapucat
08-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Aren't you glad your tax dollars subsidized my "education"? ;D

I'm more concerned about the mental image of a cow attempting to 'hump' a sandworm's 'leg'.

But maybe that's cos I rarely pay US tax...

caffeine211
08-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm more concerned about the mental image of a cow attempting to 'hump' a sandworm's 'leg'.

That is much more frightening than where my tax dollars are going!

Chevette Girl
08-18-2011, 10:57 AM
*whaps cow's nose with rolled up newspaper* Not THAT friendly! Naughty cow!

TheAlchemist
09-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Hair Farming!
In January I gave away my hair to Locks of Love.
I'm working on a second batch now!

Soyala_Amaya
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I did something like that for my Senior graduation 'rebellion'. I found a charity called St Baldricks, and for two months we got people to donate money to our goals. If our goal was reached, we would all shave our heads bald. (Mine was $1,500 because I'm a girl, and my chart got over $2,000) All the money went to children's cancer research at St Jude's. Then anyone who's hair was long enough donated the hair to Locks of Love.

I almost wasn't allowed to walk at my graduation because "females with bald heads" was against the dress code, till a mother of a friend of mine who had cancer walked in to the principal's office, pulled her hat off, and demanded to know what was wrong with woman with bald heads.

I'm a rebel like that, breaking the dress code through charity.

TheAlchemist
09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
... breaking the dress code through charity.

Gotta love it!

Chevette Girl
09-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Awesome... I think when I finally let my hubby cut his hair I'm gonna make sure it's in shape to be donated. The man has no split ends (grr). My hair refuses to grow long enough to leave me with enough to make a ponytail if I took off enough to donate... so I'll wistfully leave that to people who can actually grow hair :p

...and as for breaking dress codes, GO GIRL! I have ten years of formal work wardrobe centred around "can I wear it with cowboy boots"... then I got married in them. They're black ones. And by the time we got to the garter thing, I was wearing green triangle dress-workboots...

AToE
09-05-2011, 02:14 AM
I almost wasn't allowed to walk at my graduation because "females with bald heads" was against the dress code, till a mother of a friend of mine who had cancer walked in to the principal's office, pulled her hat off, and demanded to know what was wrong with woman with bald heads.

Really?! That is honestly one of the most subtley messed up things I have ever heard!

I graduated in a hawaiian t-shit and dreadlocks.

wildoates
09-05-2011, 06:23 PM
We do St Baldric at our school, but I'm not interested in cutting my hair (which is waist-length, fortunately so far I haven't lost it due to chemo). We've had a few girls who cut off a lot of hair, bit sure as heck nobody would give them grief about being bald at graduation!

Soyala_Amaya
09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Ah, bible belt small town school. They actually did a clothing check under our robes before we walked to make sure we were 'up to code' and if you weren't, they literally would turn you away at the door. The only reason girls were even allowed to wear dress pants and not an actual dress or a skirt under the robes was because a few years before I graduated my sister almost took the school to court for sexual discrimination. It's a family tradition to screw with the small minded jerks I guess.

AToE
09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Good for you! Messing with the small minds is how the world moves forward!

Chevette Girl
09-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I think I was born to it too... my mom once made a VERY public display of cutting up her Sears card in the middle of the store because they insisted on putting "Mrs. <my dad's first and last name>" rather than letting her use her own first name...

wildoates
09-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Nothing wrong with a dress code at a formal event where high school students are prone to making unwise choices that might disrupt the proceedings. Although by no means in the Bible Belt (which really shouldn't be an insult), we also check our graduates, twice: once as they are admitted through the doors at Arco Arena (or power balance whatever it's called these days), and once again right before they cross the stage. They have to be fully clothed under their robes and not have any beach balls, etc. It gets really really bad if this isn't done, and parents get irate when their kid's graduation is marred by someone else's kid's histrionics. Bald heads, however, are fine. :)

AToE
09-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Nothing wrong with a dress code at a formal event where high school students are prone to making unwise choices that might disrupt the proceedings. Although by no means in the Bible Belt (which really shouldn't be an insult), we also check our graduates, twice: once as they are admitted through the doors at Arco Arena (or power balance whatever it's called these days), and once again right before they cross the stage. They have to be fully clothed under their robes and not have any beach balls, etc. It gets really really bad if this isn't done, and parents get irate when their kid's graduation is marred by someone else's kid's histrionics. Bald heads, however, are fine. :)

That's totally reasonable though! It's stuff like "no pants for females" and other ridiculousness that drives me nuts!

Soyala_Amaya
09-05-2011, 07:22 PM
The no pants, and no bald heads (even if it was done for a charity event for children's cancer and not because I was a 'punk'), and such rules like that were the one's I was trying to showcase. I understood the idea of wanting us to be more formal, but some of the rules were very...archaic and needed to be fought. Like girls couldn't wear pants by virtue of having the wrong junk.

And I wasn't using bible belt as an insult, but it as a quick expression of the moral codes involved in the school I went to. You say bible belt, and people usually have an idea already in their heads. Missouri is too widespread to really bring that across. That's all I was trying to say.

kudapucat
09-05-2011, 07:53 PM
it's all about tone, anything can be said in a derogatory way.
Anybody can receive something innocently intended as insulting.
People are annoying like that.
Like calling ppl black, or brown or white, it's simply a descriptor for what they look like, not an insult, but as we all know, it can be used derogatively.
I went to a hospital to visit somebody last year, and I asked for him by name, the girl frowned and was searching through the list. Trying to be helpful I suggested, "He's the short guy with glasses and a broken leg" only to receive a lecture on how I shouldn't label ppl and how it's insulting etc... I mean what's going on? Sometime's I'd like to take PC and give it a right kick up the behind!

Bible belt should not be an insult, but I fear it is oft taken that way.
I'm clearly not busy enough at work though, but you did manage to touch a nerve ;-)

Chevette Girl
09-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Sometime's I'd like to take PC and give it a right kick up the behind!

You're not the only one... Absolutely correct, sometimes it's not a slur, it's just a descriptor... dance all around the race issue when you're trying to describe one friend to another who does know the first one, only to have the one you're trying to explain it to finally clue in, and say "Well why the hell didn't you just SAY s/he was the Native/black/asian/redhead/gay/Muslim/wheelchair-bound one?"

I have relatives in the Bible Belt. One of them is so caustically insular (read: hate-spreading bible-thumping) that most of the family now can't deal with her... yet her son is a wonderful accepting guy embracing the spirit of Christian charity even if the object of his charity is not Christian. <shrug> It takes all kinds.

But yeah, if boundaries aren't pushed, they'll never move. Then again, some boundaries are there for a reason... but that's a whole 'nother discussion that will probably result in Chevette Girl hollering, "And furthermore, get off my lawn!" noting that Chevette Girl does not have a lawn but sometimes is curmudgeony.

Loadnabox
12-26-2011, 11:46 AM
OK, a bit of thread necro, but I finally got pictures of the Skal (Skoal) bowl whilst hanging around family in Phoenix this holiday season.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ZPaJhC3hzXQ/TvgP1UwxM3I/AAAAAAAAAXc/WRR7b8t61iY/s800/IMAG0189.jpg

If any of the norse friends around here feel like being nice I'd love to know what the inscription on the inside edge means :) Links to the close-ups of the inscription are below

Inscription 1 (https://picasaweb.google.com/Eric.Tannehill.GE/DropBox?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6dnoqZh_XHHw#5690315358462 562770)

Inscription 2 (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-03hmnGQ291M/TvgQM7kM5MI/AAAAAAAAAXs/4ESjPp4YnEg/s800/IMAG0185.jpg)

Inscription 3 (http://testhttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wp7J9_LI8mk/TvgQBJ14_0I/AAAAAAAAAXk/JDVshT6G4BA/s800/IMAG0188.jpg)