PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Port

chiguire
05-01-2011, 02:51 PM
I bought and am drinking my first Tawny Port.
What an under-rated beverage! I love it. I also got a bottle of Dry Madeira and Dry Amontillado.

Back to the port. It is rich sweet, but not too sweet, nutty, baked apple pie-y...
I love it, and it was cheap.

Note to self and others- explore the world of port.

Medsen Fey
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
I love port.
I love sherry.
I love Madeira (dry or sweet).
They are beverages that can age nearly forever, and the flavors are complex and can be sublime.

epetkus
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Mmmmm,
Sitting in Delta Crown Room in Atlanta wishing they had Port!!!!

I like it so much (as well as Sherry), that I made a batch of blueberry melomel port. It's still a bit young but the sample this weekend was great!

Eric

Guinlilly
05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Mmm port. We have a chocolate raspberry port from a kit doing some aging in a carboy here. can't wait 'til it's ready.

sarend
05-01-2011, 10:33 PM
My wife and I are big port fans. I think that is why mead seemed so appealing to us in that we can finish it semi-sweet or sweet. Good stuff that port.

Stephen

Chevette Girl
05-02-2011, 12:40 AM
I really like sherry and I haven't met a port I wouldn't drink again, my first large batch of wild grape wine was affectionately accused (by a wine snob no less) of being a port thanks to a hint of oxidation that suited it well...

I'm going to do some more experimenting to try to get something port-like using wine kit concentrates I've got kicking around, but my multi-fruit port (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16157) shows promise 8)

akueck
05-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I like port in very small doses. Luckily it is pretty bulletproof so you can open a bottle and not have to finish it anytime soon.

Madeira I've really come to like lately, though I've only had it at one restaurant nearby (both the Rainwater and 5 yr versions). I think it combines some of the good complex oxidation qualities of sherry with the fruitiness of port, but without the sugar content that port always seems to have.

AToE
05-02-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm going to have to try some of these weirdo wines sometime, I've never had sherry, port, madeira, any of those. I'm not sure if I want to buy an entire bottle of each though, might have to just watch out for it in the wine lists at restaurants or something.

Braxton
05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I had a fantastic oak-aged port/mead blend a couple of weeks back. I believe the mead used was dry, so the finished drink was semi-sweet but still very intense.

It's worth drinking a Madiera or sherry just for the oxidation flavors. It's good to be able to identify those clearly. And I love it when a style turns what is normally thought of as a fault into a positive feature. I do prefer port over those two, though.

Chevette Girl
05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Well, the nice thing with those is they're awesome for cooking and baking if it turns out you don't like drinking them... wonderful (if expensive) addition to homemade breads and marinades...

TheAlchemist
05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I bought...Dry Amontillado.

Did you get a whole
cask
of Amontillado?
I ho(Poe)pe not!

Medsen Fey
05-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Have you gone stark Raven mad?!? You'll unleash another maelstrom of puns.

akueck
05-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Irregular bold text is a telltale sign that someone has taken a bad pun to heart.

wildoates
05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Way to usher in a new round of puns, everyone. :rolleyes:

And ON topic (for a change) on Saturday my daughter and I went to the Scottish Games in Woodland, and won a bottle of 10 year old Graham tawny port. Anyone ever tried that one?

(full Poe disclosure: an ancestor of mine was named Usher Tucker, which is a name I actually liked--if it weren't for Poe ruining it for me. Too afraid anyone with Usher in his name would be cursed. :eek:)

PitBull
05-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Have you gone stark Raven mad?!? You'll unleash another maelstrom of puns.
I agree.

Nevermore should this behavior be permitted.

TheAlchemist
05-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree.

Nevermore should this behavior be permitted.

Oh, Spoilsport, don't let us give this thread a Premature Burial...

Medsen Fey
05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
We'll all Rue this digression.

chiguire
05-10-2011, 02:02 PM
:D You guys are too much!