• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Tawny Port

Barrel Char Wood Products

chiguire

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 27, 2010
Katy, TX
I bought and am drinking my first Tawny Port.
What an under-rated beverage! I love it. I also got a bottle of Dry Madeira and Dry Amontillado.

Back to the port. It is rich sweet, but not too sweet, nutty, baked apple pie-y...
I love it, and it was cheap.

Note to self and others- explore the world of port.

epetkus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Florida
Mmmmm,
Sitting in Delta Crown Room in Atlanta wishing they had Port!!!!

I like it so much (as well as Sherry), that I made a batch of blueberry melomel port. It's still a bit young but the sample this weekend was great!

Eric

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Mmm port. We have a chocolate raspberry port from a kit doing some aging in a carboy here. can't wait 'til it's ready.

sarend

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 24, 2010
Arizona
My wife and I are big port fans. I think that is why mead seemed so appealing to us in that we can finish it semi-sweet or sweet. Good stuff that port.

Stephen

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I really like sherry and I haven't met a port I wouldn't drink again, my first large batch of wild grape wine was affectionately accused (by a wine snob no less) of being a port thanks to a hint of oxidation that suited it well...

I'm going to do some more experimenting to try to get something port-like using wine kit concentrates I've got kicking around, but my multi-fruit port shows promise 8)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I like port in very small doses. Luckily it is pretty bulletproof so you can open a bottle and not have to finish it anytime soon.

Madeira I've really come to like lately, though I've only had it at one restaurant nearby (both the Rainwater and 5 yr versions). I think it combines some of the good complex oxidation qualities of sherry with the fruitiness of port, but without the sugar content that port always seems to have.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'm going to have to try some of these weirdo wines sometime, I've never had sherry, port, madeira, any of those. I'm not sure if I want to buy an entire bottle of each though, might have to just watch out for it in the wine lists at restaurants or something.

Braxton

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 29, 2010
Twin Cities
I had a fantastic oak-aged port/mead blend a couple of weeks back. I believe the mead used was dry, so the finished drink was semi-sweet but still very intense.

It's worth drinking a Madiera or sherry just for the oxidation flavors. It's good to be able to identify those clearly. And I love it when a style turns what is normally thought of as a fault into a positive feature. I do prefer port over those two, though.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well, the nice thing with those is they're awesome for cooking and baking if it turns out you don't like drinking them... wonderful (if expensive) addition to homemade breads and marinades...

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Irregular bold text is a telltale sign that someone has taken a bad pun to heart.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Way to usher in a new round of puns, everyone. :rolleyes:

And ON topic (for a change) on Saturday my daughter and I went to the Scottish Games in Woodland, and won a bottle of 10 year old Graham tawny port. Anyone ever tried that one?

(full Poe disclosure: an ancestor of mine was named Usher Tucker, which is a name I actually liked--if it weren't for Poe ruining it for me. Too afraid anyone with Usher in his name would be cursed. :eek:)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns