PDA

View Full Version : Off-Flavor Doctorant Ideas for a Mead Tasting Class

christo
05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
I'm more of a beer brewer/judge than a mead maker though I've dabbled in mead making. To get a group of certified mead judges in our area, I'm teaching a BJCP Mead Study class and am planning to hold an off-flavor class like I do with my beer classes. There is a pretty good list of doctorants and the amounts needed to attain threshold levels in beer using a light lager as the base.

My question to the mead folks is do you know of any good guidelines for doctoring mead? I could do some empirical testing/tasting, but trying to see what's out there already, if anything.

The list of off-flavors is on the bjcp
website.http://www.bjcp.org/meadfaults.php

Thanks!

akueck
05-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Some of the beer "drops" should carry over, e.g. oxidation.

For alcoholic, try adding a little cheap, nasty vodka.

For cloying, try adding a big dose of table sugar.

For solvent, a tiny bit of acetone (this is not harmful in small amounts).

For yeasty, mix in some Fleischmann's.

You might be able to find off-flavor kits for wines, mead faults are generally similar to wine faults.

The hardest part might be finding a cheap but no-off-flavors dry mead (dry meads show faults easier).

Medsen Fey
05-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Similar to beer, using a light, dry, traditional mead will show the flaws in all their glory.

I haven't seen a list of amounts to add to clearly show the flaws. If you find one, please point us to it, and if you have to make it yourself, I'd be interested to hear what you come up with.

wildoates
05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I've been thinking about doing something like this at my next mead tasting party.