PDA

View Full Version : pectin/cloudy

Axel-san
05-02-2011, 01:35 AM
This query might be a bit late, but here it goes.
I made black raspberry melomel. I think/know my homemade puree got heated too high. I watched it, but who knows. Also, I added during primary: bagged the meat, poured in the juice, hearing later that secondary might yield better flavors. I racked this batch to death over a 2 month period. I fined once; gelatin. I did get a good amount of crap settled out. I then added pectinase and waited a couple more weeks, before fining again; gelatin. It was better, but still foggy.
I guess my main question would be, would the pectinase keep working after bottling?

I do love the color and have named it Fafnir's Blood

AToE
05-02-2011, 01:42 AM
Could you expand a bit on that recipe and process? Why was the puree being heated at all?

Specific things that would be good to know is batch size, how much of which ingredients, how much pectic enzyme, etc.

I have no idea whether the pectinase would keep working in the bottles, or whether that would even be desirable (might lead to sediment?), but if this is only two months old I'd say it's too young to be bottling anyways, especially if it's still sweet and hasn't been stabilized. If you give it another 1/2 year or so it might sort itself out, and will be a better mead anyways (may need more enzyme too, who knows).

EDIT: and fruit in secondary giving "better" flavours/aromas is purely subjective. I personally prefer everything in primary for a more wine-like mead, fruit in secondary may give a "fresher" fruit presence though.

tweak'e
05-02-2011, 02:59 AM
if i remember right gelatin can be fairly brutal in clearing. but it also works best when Chitosan or Kieselsol is added 1/2 hour before the gelatin.

Axel-san
02-27-2012, 01:03 AM
My Black Raspberry mead did clear up after bottling. There is an oaky after taste.