PDA

View Full Version : yeast recommendation for Tupelo honey?

ArdentAles
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi, I just bought two gals of Tupelo honey and wanted to know what yeast to ferment it with and what style Tupelo is best made to: sweet, semi-sweet, or dry - what style highlights this varietal the best?

Thanks,
Max

Medsen Fey
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Tupelo honey is a very tangy, tasty honey that can make an excellent traditional at any level of sweetness you desire. K1V with it works very nicely, but probably any of the usual mead yeast will make something good with tupelo. My preference is for semi-dry, and an ABV around 12.5% - wonderful stuff! :)

ArdentAles
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
nice! thank you; I am ordering the yeast now from N Brewer...
I am learning about the mead yeasts through the sage wisdom of this board
I am used to keeping fermentations around 62-68 for beer, except for rising temps with Belgian beers (saisons and strong goldens)
I imagine that staying in the 60s is good for meads and for controlling fusels etc, so meadmaking should be avoided (in Massachusetts) in the summer, right?

also (last question!) how many times do you (personally) usually rack before bottling?

primary - secondary and then bottle
or do you do tertiary, quaternary etc until there are no lees etc (at what, 6 months?)

I ask because I just bottled my first melomel and I thought it was clear but there's a lot of sediment; I used isinglass and racked three times, but I still ended up with the amount I get in my bottle conditioned beers...

thanks for your time,
Max

Medsen Fey
05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Mid 60's is a great temperature for making mead in most cases, though there may be some that need to either cooler or warmer (depending on what you are trying to make). With a "swamp cooler" you can ferment all year long.

I usually rack them until it stops dropping lees whether that is twice, thrice, or more. I find Bentonite or Sparkolloid seem to work pretty well at eliminating the protein/yeast particles which minimizes the sediment after bottling. Getting a mead to be clear and sediment-free in the bottle can be a challenge.