• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I guess I'm a beekeeper now.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Allen Brown

NewBee
Registered Member
Two days ago, My neighbor came over and said he had some bees on his pine tree. I went over and it was a swarm of bees, and bunched all up on a branch.
View attachment 646

So, I went out and bought a beehive. We shook the swarm into the hive yesterday, and today, they appear to be happy, healthy, and busy as bees.
View attachment 647

Tonight after dark, I will move the hive to my backyard.

I see some new meads in my near future!

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
Congratulations.

A swarm of bees in June is worth a silver spoon...

don't know what a swarm in May is worth, though.

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
nice one :) now you will be hooked ;)

it looks to be a good sized swarm. however dosn't look like many bees in the hive. you can get multi queen swarms so your swarm probably just swarmed. hopefully it left a queen behind. sometimes they just leave bees behind and in a few days the remaining bees disappear.
so don't go thinking you have done something wrong if they suddenly disappear in the next few days.

also get a hive mat/inside lid (or a top feeder) so they don't glue the lid to the frames. you want a bee space above the frames.

i recommend joining the local bee club or getting in touch with a few commerical guys. you have a bit learning to do but the all important expericence is the hard thing to get when you only have one hive.

most importantly.......enjoy :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns