PDA

View Full Version : fermentation slow ?

aquavives
05-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Hello everyone,

As a beekeeper, I just started making mead on 14 april. And now the fermentation seems rather slow so I would like to compare. How fast or slow should it go? In the beginning it was 1 bubble every 5 seconds and now it is 1 bubble every 8 minutes.
And also this: if it is rather slow, can I do something about it?

aquavives
05-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Recipe: 7,5 kg heath (or heather) honey
added water until 21 liter
1 smackpack wyeast dry
1 heaped teaspoon wyeast nutrient blend

tweak'e
05-16-2011, 03:52 AM
bubbles, i assume you mean airlock bubbles?
if so they are really for show and not an accurate indicator of whats happening.
you need to take hydrometer readings and record the changes.

i don't know that nutrient blend but i would guess not enough by a long way. that will slow things down and can make bad tastes.
also what temp as that can make a big difference.

TheAlchemist
05-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Welcome to Got Mead!

I'm with tweak'e.
A hydrometer is your friend.Your yeasties may be running out of energy, may need some feeding, or may be done with their work. They've been working for a month.

aquavives
05-16-2011, 09:51 AM
A hydrometer, I think I have one. I found this thing that measures the density if you let it float, and I put some of the stuff in a bottle and I read 990.
Does that give usefull information?
Temperature is always about 20 C.
I also tasted and it has much alcohol, good taste. I smels and tastes like the heath honey I made it with.

Chevette Girl
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
Yes, very useful! If your airlock activity slows and stops when you're above 1.000 (specific gravity of water), that usually indicates that your fermentation has stuck before it finished.

If your must is at .990, the reason the airlock activity is slowing is because there's no more sugar for your yeast to eat, they've converted it all to alcohol so they're no longer producing carbon dioxide, which is what causes the airlock to bubble. However, it will probably continue to bubble slowly for a little while because there's going to be some CO2 trapped in the wine that will slowly come out.

Good job, your first mead is done fermenting! Now you can rack it off the lees and keep it under airlock until it clears and you can bottle it!

Next batch you make, if you check the specific gravity before you add yeast, you will be able to calculate how much alcohol is in your finished mead.

I highly recommend checking out the NewBee Guide (look up and to the left in the yellow rectangle), it'll give you the basics of fermentation.

And welcome to the addiction!

aquavives
05-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks a lot everyone,
This is a great help. I started with this batch before I discovered Gotmead, I will surely read the newbee section completely before I make more...