PDA

View Full Version : expiration/longetivity

calicojack
05-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Okay, so as I'm. Working my stores today I kinda had a morbid day dream. Which leads me to a question. How long is mead good for? More specifically if I put it in a keg and seal it, how long will it stay drinkable?

My thought is that I want to make some mead, about 30 gallons worth, keg it and store it until I die. Thing is, I'm only 32...

Medsen Fey
05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
A good traditional mead, especially one of sack strength, should out-live you even if you exceed the expectations of an actuarial table.

mmclean
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Some Polish meads call for ageing 100 years before drinking. I would think that it would store for a few hundred more. How long are you planning to live?

Most meads may not last quite that long. There is a tread with a post to an article, where they tasted a 45 year old Bochet. Seem it was still quite good.

The key to a long life (for your mead), is constant, steady, cool, storage temperature.

Here's to a long life, for you and your meads.

Cheers.

:occasion14:

wayneb
05-16-2011, 11:21 AM
A couple of years back I had the privilege of tasting a little of a Polish-style mead that had been made by the patriarch of the Stawski family back in the 1960's. It had been stored in an oak barrel in a cellar, where it was apparently forgotten for all those intervening years (around 45 years total). I must say that I never before (or since) tasted a mead with as much complexity, depth, pleasant aromatics, and delightful drinkability, as that one. So, with proper storage conditions, some meads do in fact last for, and improve over, decades.

Loadnabox
05-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Some Polish meads call for ageing 100 years before drinking. I would think that it would store for a few hundred more. How long are you planning to live?

Members of generation X and forwards that don't smoke, eat and live healthy, have their life expectancy increasing by1 year every year. So in theory, if medical science continues it's trend, Gen-X and Millenial generation should be immortal.

Now to see if we can make Social Security solvent with that :)

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
One who is always expecting to die and never die unexpectedly...

wayneb
05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Now to see if we can make Social Security solvent with that :)

Now if we just increase the benefits age to say, 399 or so, it'll be solvent to the year 2525 or thereabouts.... ;D

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 06:37 PM
One who is always expecting to die and never die unexpectedly...

Oops!
Make that "One who is always expecting to die can never die unexpectedly"

Memento Mori...

calicojack
05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Oops!
Make that "One who is always expecting to die can never die unexpectedly"

Memento Mori...

i want folks to celebrate my voyage to vahalla....

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 09:25 PM
i want folks to celebrate my voyage to vahalla....

Ah...The Life Is The Journey...

calicojack
05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Ah...The Life Is The Journey...

for me....

TheAlchemist
05-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Did you settle on a batch to start yet, calicojack?

kudapucat
05-29-2011, 06:34 PM
He's started a thread called 5 gallon JAO or something similar. With too much orange I fear, but have search for that thread.

calicojack
05-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Did you settle on a batch to start yet, calicojack?

i'm going to do a 15 gallon batch of elderberries. i've got a 15 gallon sankey keg that i will age it in. will probably have to do 3 5 gallon buckets as primaries/secondaries and then transfer to the keg for bulk aging.

calicojack
05-29-2011, 09:13 PM
He's started a thread called 5 gallon JAO or something similar. With too much orange I fear, but have search for that thread.

i pulled 3 oranges worth of fruit out. hopefully it wasn't already ruined.

AToE
05-29-2011, 10:49 PM
i pulled 3 oranges worth of fruit out. hopefully it wasn't already ruined.

I wouldn't worry, if they weren't in there long they probably had very little impact.

TheAlchemist
05-30-2011, 11:56 AM
i'm going to do a 15 gallon batch of elderberries. i've got a 15 gallon sankey keg that i will age it in. will probably have to do 3 5 gallon buckets as primaries/secondaries and then transfer to the keg for bulk aging.

Elderberries! Perfect. May you outlive many elders. Elder blossom is thought to be better for charms, though, but they're not in season...

calicojack
05-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Elderberries! Perfect. May you outlive many elders. Elder blossom is thought to be better for charms, though, but they're not in season...

going to use dried berries. they are apparently more potent and require less for flavoring.

Medsen Fey
05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Elder blossom is thought to be better for charms, though, but they're not in season...

Depends on where you are; down here, the elders keep blooming all year though they usually only produce fruit between May and October.

Calcicojack, elderberry should definitely give you something with aging potential.