PDA

View Full Version : What pets/animals do you keep?

Echostatic
05-17-2011, 03:25 PM
After doing a search and not seeing this thread come up, I figured I'd make it myself. After all, what forum is complete without it? What do you guys keep?

I have a Bearded Dragon, a Tanzanian tail-less whipscorpion, four ant colonies (each started from a single brand new queen) and a colony of orange spotted roaches I'm breeding to use as cheap lizard/ant food. They aren't your typical pets, but that's why I like them. Then as family pets we have 2 dogs (lab mix and German shepherd/Akita mix) a cat, a parakeet and a couple chickens. nd since they say a picture speaks a thousand words...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/2b682f1e.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/3290f776.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/3f85f58d.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/33a832bf.jpg

Quite the odd zoo... What about you folks? I know at least some of you have bees as well as other things, wha'cha got?

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 03:31 PM
One Cat for me, but you will hear, at least, of dogs and horses here.

Don't know about Lions & Tigers and Bears (Oh My!).

Probably no more interesting menagerie than yours, though.

Echostatic
05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Oh I don't know about that, we have beekeepers here, and any social insect is right up there at the top of my list. Love horses too, I've been on several genuine cattle drives working closely with horses. They're incredible animals.

...Cats, on the other hand, tend to be plain evil. Just sayin'.

AToE
05-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Just 1 or 2 dogs for me (I spend a lot of time with both, but when me and my ex split we each kept one to live with, sharing custody though!).

A weird little/medium terrier mutt I adopted with some issues, and a very stubborn old basset hound.

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
...Cats, on the other hand, tend to be plain evil. Just sayin'.

Be careful...you may meet with a barrage of responses to this...;)

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Just 1 or 2 dogs for me (I spend a lot of time with both, but when me and my ex split we each kept one to live with, sharing custody though!).

A weird little/medium terrier mutt I adopted with some issues, and a very stubborn old basset hound.

When are you getting back together?

Chevette Girl
05-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Black and white spotted Polish Dwarf rabbit named Spot (around 5 years old now), grey mixed-breed fat pony named Fantacie (22 going on 3). And the Chevette. And a husband. And two tenants. Honestly the humans make more mess than the critters.

Spot's cage is in my living room (she used to be allowed to run free in the room under supervision, although after the last time she chewed on the dining room table, she's been relegated to lap-rabbit), Fantacie's boarded at a riding stable about 40 min drive away.

I also have a bunch of African Violets, an orchid and a bougainveilia whom I torture regularly, they seem to like it.

AToE
05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
When are you getting back together?

Ha, probably never. Still great friends though. I obviously can't rule it out, but I think it'll be a good long time, if ever.

Chevette Girl
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Ha, probably never. Still great friends though. I obviously can't rule it out, but I think it'll be a good long time, if ever.

Always interesting when you can still be great friends... We had two of my exes at our wedding and one of them was in the wedding party and also was our chauffeur on our honeymoon ;D

Tannin Boy
05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Be careful...you may meet with a barrage of responses to this...;)

My Britney tries to eat them....;D
She can't catch them though, gotten a bit old for that.
Must say it has been a great ride with her and had many wonderful days
in the field working with her. It is truly fascinating to see a good dog hunt.

TB

Echostatic
05-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Having been on the cattle drives and watched the dogs they use work together to flush cows out of dense brush, among other things, I can certainly agree that a working dog is a fascinating thing to watch.

veritas
05-17-2011, 06:24 PM
2 pitbulls both rescued.

chams
05-17-2011, 07:25 PM
One mangy Rex bunny for us. Giant fricken rabbit. ;D
I'm a dog lover but the wife and I both work and I don't think its fair to leave an animal all day alone(the bunny has a run outside). To each his own of course... ;)

Tannin Boy
05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Having been on the cattle drives and watched the dogs they use work together to flush cows out of dense brush, among other things, I can certainly agree that a working dog is a fascinating thing to watch.

Now take a walk in my shoes for a moment....

I drove 300 miles to find a renowned breed that was started just around the corner from where I live???? I am instructed to look them over and pick one:eek:
So I set amongst the puppies and say to my self, this is a crap shoot for sure.
Well, I pick one and the breeder say's it has flaws and it must be spayed. Ok, so it goes.....Spent 3 years training this brit and many a hour on the road to and from the grounds. She sleeps in the bed and goes to work with me every day, just like your shadow always following you. One day we are talking to a client and she walks in proud as a peacock with a woodchuck in her mouth and comes right to my side and drops it next to me!!! Big smile on her face, dad I did good, look what I got for you....Client said look a retriever!

Something about the bond of an animal and it's care taker....
When they have a good home and companionship these dogs will work their hearts out for you. I can see the past days and after many a grueling hours working for what game can be found these days, you can just look at her and see a smile on her face. But the best part is at the end when you return to the living room in front of the fire, she has a belly full and is curled up next to you just a flat happy spaniel pooped out and sleeping like a lamb...

Don't get any better than that folks...

TB

kudapucat
05-17-2011, 07:35 PM
1 Pure Boxer,
1 Tom, who just lobbed up to our door one day
300-odd fish (100kg or so in total)
4 Rabbits - (currently disproving the 'breed like rabbits colloquialism)

soon to arrive
Quail, chooks, wormfarm and hopefully baby rabbits.

TheAlchemist
05-17-2011, 08:39 PM
So I set amongst the puppies and say to my self, this is a crap shoot for sure.
Well, I pick one and...

TB

My first kitten picked me...and when he had clearly made his wishes known, I pondered the question "But what if I were to take two kittens?" He promptly got off my lap and went and found his sister...Yep, that guy did all the choosing...And It Was Good.

Guinlilly
05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I've got three dogs, a shiba-inu/shepherd mix, a black pug, and a jack russell terrier. 7 Light Brahma Chickens (6 hens, 1 rooster), 2 Buff Orpington hens, 3 Black Star Hens, 2 Speckled Sussex hens, and 1 Red Star hen. If we had the land and the money I'd have a horse and some goats too.

akueck
05-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Just two cats. I'll confirm that they are evil, though not all the time.

On the list for when we have the space: bees, chickens, a goat or two, and a dog if we are home enough. Maybe more cats, but they'd probably be outdoor.

Echostatic
05-18-2011, 12:34 AM
I do admit that not *all* cats are evil. We had a cool one once, a stray my dad picked up in a parking garage where he had his business. He brought it home to try to cheer up my mom, who was upset at the death of a cat she loved very much. (Got run over.) Obviously, this did not go over very well... Eventually she came to like him. He was an adult when my dad got him and lived for another 14 years. He was a very dark gray. We named him Bob. He wasn't crazy or prissy or demanding. Very laid back. I miss that cat.

Dan McFeeley
05-18-2011, 02:33 AM
An aged rescue hound, 9 years old now, was abandoned in a nearby alley for a couple of nights before he got taken in. He seems a mix of black lab, german shepherd, and some kind of terrier. Goes barkers over beer but Guinness is his favorite (I share with him, just a little slosh in a bowl), likes hot sauce too which I discovered by accident. Tried making a puppy repellant, half vegetable oil, half Dave's Insantity Sauce, to keep him from chewing on the furniture. He lapped it up.

Also The Daughter's beta fish, named Sea Sky.

--

TheAlchemist
05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Having some heartache at the moment. My parents' fine feline died today...

Chevette Girl
05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
likes hot sauce too which I discovered by accident. Tried making a puppy repellant, half vegetable oil, half Dave's Insantity Sauce, to keep him from chewing on the furniture. He lapped it up.

I used to keep pet rats (they just don't live long enough so I upgraded to bunny) and both the males I had were hot-sauce freaks and most of the females were winos... Ratt and Buddy would both lick tabasco sauce off my hand, Shadow (or was it Fang? too many grey females with white feets) always went after my beer and Mousie would be head and shoulders into my wine glass if I held it anywhere near her, she'd even go after whiskey as long as it wasn't in a glass (I think it concentrated the smell too much)... Spot, however, is a sensible creature and though she's been known to go after Tandoori corn chips and Ringolos, she recoils and gives me this look of, "Are you trying to kill me?!?" if I let her sniff my glass of wine/mead...

Chevette Girl
05-18-2011, 02:00 PM

<hugs> sorry to hear that... it always hurts...

Tannin Boy
05-18-2011, 03:35 PM

That is very sad indeed to hear.
Try to take the passing of this beloved pet and think of what
it had brought to the quality of life for your parents, and how
lucky the pet was to have them for guardians, for it's wonderful
life while living with them.

Warmest Regards,

TB

Echostatic
05-18-2011, 06:56 PM
Losing a pet is never easy... I'm sorry to hear it. I think such stories are a good reminder for everyone to enjoy what time they have with their pets.

wildoates
05-19-2011, 01:06 AM
I once blubbered for an hour when my kids' pet rat died, which made me feel strange to cry for a two dollar rat. But we love them, no matter what.

I have 4 cats. And my daughter's dog. And my sister's two dogs. Enough is enough. :)

kudapucat
05-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Some of my 'pets' die all the time. But they sure are tasty.
Sorry to hear of your loss. I was in pieces for a week when our little cat died. I kept seeing and hearing her for weeks after.
Everytime I sat down on the couch, and it wasn't smooth under me, I'd freak out, thinking I'd sat on her 'again', she had this habbit of aways being where you wanted to sit, and usually under a blanket.
(for the record, this is not how she died)

Dan McFeeley
05-19-2011, 09:15 PM
My first rescue hound had cancer in her later years, maybe I waited too long to have her put to sleep, but she got so weak, I had to carry her outside every day to put her out in the yard. She couldn't handle the daily walk she loved anymore. Did that for a couple of years until the day came when she couldn't stand up anymore. The cancer was inoperable, a large mass just above the esophagus.

The second rescue hound was sad for a while, you could see he missed his "big sister."

--

Chevette Girl
05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
That's always sad... and it's really hard to know when is the right time... A friend of mine had a Sheltie that was deaf and going blind but they knew she was happy as long as she tried to play, and knew it was time when she didn't want to play anymore...

Fantacie's 22 and I'm not looking forward to when I have to make the call. She's mostly healthy but being a grey horse has started with sprouting melanomas (in horses they're just little lumps that appear and grow slowly and don't metastatise into other cancers unless you open them up, so they're OK until the lumps get in the way, last horse I knew with them ended up dying from gut blockages from them).

Here's hoping for long healthy lives for all our critters, and knowing when to call it at the end...

<raises a mug of mead>

Echostatic
05-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Aye... My bearded dragon is getting close to being "middle aged". I'm almost 24 and I'm hopeful she will be around through all of my 20s, but I'm gonna be awfully sad when the time comes. She may be "just a lizard" to some, but these guys are so friendly and have so much personality that you just can't not love them and their quirky little behaviors. She will be missed one day.

havoc64
05-20-2011, 02:03 PM
My Family and I share our life with my Jeep Buddy, Pellinore (Pelli for Short)

He's a 14 Yr Old English Springer..

Here he is in His Jeep telling me to either start driving or let him out..lol

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv249/havoc64/Pelli/IMG00046-20110122-1158.jpg

TheAlchemist
05-20-2011, 03:28 PM
Some of my 'pets' die all the time. But they sure are tasty.

Umm...I'd ask you to say more about that, but I'm not sure I want to know...

unless you're referring to your meads...

TheAlchemist
05-20-2011, 03:32 PM
That's always sad... and it's really hard to know when is the right time... Here's hoping for long healthy lives for all our critters, and knowing when to call it at the end...

<raises a mug of mead>

I'm fortunate to have a vet that does house calls so the animal can be put down at home, other animals at home can get a good sniff and know their pet-sib is gone, they get closure, and I can bury the body in the family pet-graveyard without having to do cremation and all...

Mom and Dad were basketcases because this was not an expected loss...but you know what I always say: "If you're always expecting to die, then you can never die unexpectedly..."

<mug raised in reply>

Chevette Girl
05-20-2011, 03:56 PM
I'm fortunate to have a vet that does house calls so the animal can be put down at home, other animals at home can get a good sniff and know their pet-sib is gone, they get closure, and I can bury the body in the family pet-graveyard without having to do cremation and all...

My mom's vet came out for her dog as well, which was good, there was no way Mom was getting the dog off the sofa and into the car... With horses, most of the time it's assumed the vet will come to you, but then again, we pay their mileage every other time they need something too...

Guinlilly
05-20-2011, 04:27 PM
... With horses, most of the time it's assumed the vet will come to you, but then again, we pay their mileage every other time they need something too...

The farm I kept my mare at has a far back pasture where 3 of the horses were put to sleep and buried when it was time for them to move on. Unfortunately my little mare isn't one of them, because she had been taken to the Equine Hospital. She was cremated though and mixed into the dirt around a holly bush planted in her memory (Her stable name was Holly). The vet cut a braided section of her tail for me though.

Good4TheCompany
05-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Well echo... I fear your insects, I have always had an irrational fear of insects, but oddly enough this does NOT apply to bees even though I was fairly allergic when a small child (balloon limbs if stung). I was taught at a young age to appreciate them all the same, my father being a huge fan of anything agricultural and me being yelled at for even stepping on / damaging plants and especially if I went around destroying spiderwebs and whatnot.

I love your dragon though, always wanted one, just never got one. I did though have many of lizards growing up. I had many Anoles growing up (if you haven't heard of/seen them they are wonderful), had two leopard geckos, a turtle (was too young to remember the breed now, but my dad made it a carnivore, I grew up thinking goldfish were turtle food... live goldfish and he also fed it leftovers like chicken, steak, or hotdogs) and had 2 skinks (though I guess more like one, very territorial and the bigger one did some irreversible damage before separated). Worse part of all these lizards, was feeding them, all ate bugs, never had any "cool" ones that ate veggies.

Currently though we have 4 cats, 2 dogs (Aussie Shepard mix and a weinerdog/shiatsu mix) the little wienershit is hilarious, long body, shaggy hair, and back legs go faster than the front when she is hyped up (also considers green beans of all things to be a dog treat), and there is a rabbit (only one now, but if you count all the ones I've had in my house growing up, probably had more than 30 due to uhh unsupervised breeding...) and finally my brother has a lamb, though its not at the same house and is more of a school project I guess.

Well that's all for now, noticing how long this post is even though there are more from the past that I have yet to mention. as for one more though, he is no longer with us, but my mom raised a kitten that was a runt and lived to be 25 or so (older than me still and I was in high school when we lost him, more like the real first born of the family) but he was the best cat ever, none I have been around matched up to him.

Echostatic
05-26-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, I have an irrational fear of bees and wasps, which is partly an extension of my phobia of getting stuck by a needle. (I fear your Habanero Capsicumel too, but for different reasons >.>) But not ants, because they can't fly. We have a lot of green anoles running around here in Texas, they're really cool little guys. Theres a lizard called a gargoyle gecko that looks awesome and lives on fruit, I want to get one whenever my bearded dragon lives out her days. I have a completely custom built enclosure mostly finished for one, with automatic lighting and humidity systems and everything. Hm... Our lab mix would happily eat green beans, I'm sure. She's a garbage disposal. ...I wonder how she would like mead... (edit: not my JAO! grapes/raisins kill dogs!)

Good4TheCompany
05-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah I love Anoles, I wish I still had them, as a kid I'd try to bring them everywhere with me, and they bite onto say my earlobes and I'd try to wear them like earrings hehe. And many a person would freak when one got loose and I accidentally caught it by the tail, since they have that as a bird defense or whatever, it would wriggle around like a worm freaking out say my mother.

And yeah the puppy is a total garbage disposal for whatever she can get to, though with certain greens like lettuce she just plays with it for the most part, but will eat it if you want to take it, otherwise getting bored and leaving it on the floor. But if anything drops on the floor in her sight and she can't have it you gotta move quick, dropped half a habanero the other weekend, i don't know how she'd take it, didn't want to find out.

As for Mead... well she'll try to get it all the time, she is addicted to honey... when she was really young we had a medicine for her, that happened to be mixed with honey so she'd eat it, well now anything in one of those syringe like dispensers (like the flea treatment we use, which is bad) she wants to eat, badly. So yes, she loves sweet mead at least.

Oskaar
05-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I have a 1 year old German Shorthaired Pointer who is bird crazy and wired as hell 24/7! His name is Raalfe (Oskaarz Raalfael der Vogel-Jaeger).

Tannin Boy
05-28-2011, 06:49 AM
I have a 1 year old German Shorthaired Pointer who is bird crazy and wired as hell 24/7! His name is Raalfe (Oskaarz Raalfael der Vogel-Jaeger).

What a fine animal. Do you allow the dog to work as a pointer? or is it just a family pet? I though I would try to add a picture of my critter too?

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x462/carll9843/?action=view&current=Marcs2.jpg

Regards,

TB

P.S. Sorry my picture uploading doesn't seem to work to well>:(

Oskaar
05-28-2011, 11:25 AM
What a fine animal. Do you allow the dog to work as a pointer? or is it just a family pet? I though I would try to add a picture of my critter too?

http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x462/carll9843/?action=view&current=Marcs2.jpg

Regards,

TB

P.S. Sorry my picture uploading doesn't seem to work to well>:(

He's definitely a hunter. I'm a pass-shooter and upland game hunter, sometimes waterfowl as well. We're working together using the Gibbons-West (low-pressure, silent) training method which works very well for pointing dogs. He's getting better and better and is working on steady to wing, flush and kill at this point. Great dog, lots of personality and a lot of fun.

PM me with your picture upload issue. I expect that you are trying to upload a picture that exceeds our limit of 800x600 pixels in size.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Tannin Boy
05-29-2011, 05:43 AM
He's definitely a hunter. I'm a pass-shooter and upland game hunter, sometimes waterfowl as well. We're working together using the Gibbons-West (low-pressure, silent) training method which works very well for pointing dogs. He's getting better and better and is working on steady to wing, flush and kill at this point. Great dog, lots of personality and a lot of fun.

PM me with your picture upload issue. I expect that you are trying to upload a picture that exceeds our limit of 800x600 pixels in size.

Cheers,

Oskaar

I will try it this way with a link to the picture...

I am glad to hear that you use your dog to it's potential. I'm sure you have noticed the smile on his face in the field while doing his thing? I do not remember the training system we used for my Brit, yet with a good trainer behind you all will be achieved to the level you wish to take him to. I stopped at the force fetch point and just about the time for field trials as I was more attuned to upland hunting. Close working was the order of the day for me here in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. We have a state program of stocking Pheasants. The other delights are the long awaited Woodcock flights and of course the Wiley Grouse.
You note pass shooting ( Dove? ) I notice you mention the silent method!
Hand signals? High pitch whistle? Toned collar? I had a Tri-Tronic's collar that had a low tone for signaling the dog, but found the collar system was to unbalanced and finally went to Dogtra 2500 T&B which for my Brit is smaller in size for her and an all in one system on the neck! I found it much more convenient for her and the control unit a nicer size for me as well. The one lacking item was the low tone that the Dogtra does not offer. I do like using a horse bell in the field, the sound is quite nice yet tough on the dog and have since stopped using it. Silence is golden when working the field for sure.

There is nothing like spending a day in the field with your dog, is there?

Regards,

TB

Oskaar
05-29-2011, 12:58 PM
...snip...
You note pass shooting ( Dove? ) I notice you mention the silent method!
Hand signals? High pitch whistle? Toned collar? I had a Tri-Tronic's collar that had a low tone for signaling the dog, but found the collar system was to unbalanced and finally went to Dogtra 2500 T&B which for my Brit is smaller in size for her and an all in one system on the neck! I found it much more convenient for her and the control unit a nicer size for me as well. The one lacking item was the low tone that the Dogtra does not offer. I do like using a horse bell in the field, the sound is quite nice yet tough on the dog and have since stopped using it. Silence is golden when working the field for sure.

There is nothing like spending a day in the field with your dog, is there?

Regards,

TB

Yup, dove is the opener for the season for me here in So Cal. I go to Yuma, AZ as the shooting there is fast and furious.

Silent method is just that. You let the bird teach the dog how to react. Basically you get the dog used to running in the field playing bump and chase with the birds until he learns that he can't catch them. You keep the dog on a 30' check cord with an e-collar in place, until he gets the idea that standing still when he scents the bird is a good thing. You use a light tug on the check cord to reinforce the stand (no whoa) which becomes a point after a couple of sessions. Once the dog is steady to scent you work on keeping them steady to wing with more gentle check cording. From there you begin flushing the birds (I work with carded quail) until the dog is rock-solid steady to wing.

Then you use a starter pistol with blanks to factor in the gun report when the bird breaks and focus on keeping the pup steady to wing. Once you're there you work in steady-to-kill in the same fashion with check cord tugs that reinforce to hold until released. Once the bird is down you go to your dog and give him a pat on the haunches which releases him to get the bird. The reward for all of his patience is the bird in the mouth. During all of the previous training your only real commands to the dog are to pet him when he stays still and check him if he gets jittery. You move them off the check cord and onto the e-collar once they are solid on the check cord so the e-collar becomes an electronic check cord for all intent and purpose. The dog learns so much quicker this way and with less correction and pressure. No "find the bird" or "whoa" or "out, over" or other commands. The dog knows what to do and he lets his nose guide him. His goal is a bird in the mouth and he learns that if he wants that bird he needs me to get it for him so he can go and pick it up.

I don't teach quartering any longer as I've found that drilling a dog on quartering will actually train them to run a pattern rather than finding a bird in many instances. I haven't had to force fetch train my dogs as they are happy to get the bird and bring it back.

I use an Innotek Command Series 200 which is an older 2 dog system that has tone, tone and stimulus, stimulus, and tone delayed stimulus. I really never have to go past the light stimulus level as all I want to do is simulate a slight tug on the check cord.

He's progressing well and I'll be taking him for some professional supplemental training in a few weeks to ensure he's on the right track.

Cheers,

Oskaar

AToE
05-29-2011, 07:17 PM
It's nice to hear about working dogs being given work. To many people don't realize that unless you have small children to keep a working dog busy, or are planning on working it, it's going to be miserable. I know in advance that my dogs are only going to get a 1/2 hour to 1 hour walk per day, so I don't go picking something like a German Shepherd.

That's one thing I learned when I was looking (a while ago) for a Wolf cross. The problem isn't that the things are dangerous, the problem is that in the wild they'll walk/run something like 40 miles in a single day, and they need to be pretty much constantly exercised and stimulated. For most people, there's just simply no way they're ever even going to fill a quarter of the dog's needs, so it's really unfair to even bring one of them into existance by breeding it.

If I had small children though I'd still consider a big scary dog (note too I'd move to the country if I had kids), and I'd just make sure the kids played with it for at least 5 hours every day, plus a good walk from each parent. I'm thinking a German Shepherd crossed with a Rotweiler (have you ever seen one of those mutts? They look like tanks with legs, like something out of Lord of the Rings practically, what a HUGE and seriously imposing dog! - Perfect for keeping around the kids! ;D).

But yeah, anyways, I'm always glad to hear about dogs having jobs, it really makes their lives better.

Chevette Girl
05-30-2011, 01:34 AM
If I had small children though I'd still consider a big scary dog (note too I'd move to the country if I had kids), and I'd just make sure the kids played with it for at least 5 hours every day, plus a good walk from each parent. I'm thinking a German Shepherd crossed with a Rotweiler (have you ever seen one of those mutts? They look like tanks with legs, like something out of Lord of the Rings practically, what a HUGE and seriously imposing dog! - Perfect for keeping around the kids! ;D).

Oh, a friend of mine had a wonderful black lab/rottie cross, he was like a walking coffee table... weirdest cross I ever saw was spaniel x Newfoundlander :o giant black spaniel head on giant black Newf body... But yeah, if you want an apartment dog, get a Great Dane, not a Jack Russells...

K5MOW
05-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Well I work as an animal control officer and at work we have just about any animal you can think of over the last 10 years. Well at home I just have a large fish tank full of fish.

Roger

Echostatic
06-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I had an awfully bad ant escape take place! My colony of acrobat ants eventually managed to escape from their container, and over the course of a few days managed to take over my dresser, computer and the floor all around. (I say a few days because I wasn't really in a position to fix it until today.) Talk about a mess. Hundreds of these guys just went everywhere. I stopped any more ants from escaping, but there's just so many out and about. Between putting them back one by one, and having to use a vacuum cleaner sometimes (they're my pets and I don't like it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...) The situation is starting to get under control. There's still a lot of them out though, to the point where I have to watch where I sit, where I move the mouse and what keys I press on the keyboard. I'd still take this over my fire ants escaping again, these fellas aren't nearly as bad if they decide to gift you with some venom.

kudapucat
06-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Wow. Acrobat ants and fire ants. I'd hate for them both to escape at the same time.
You must really like your ants. Do you have a pic handy? I'd love to see the farm...

YogiBearMead726
06-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Wow. Acrobat ants and fire ants. I'd hate for them both to escape at the same time.
You must really like your ants. Do you have a pic handy? I'd love to see the farm...

Ditto that. Any pictures?

As for me, I'm boring in the pet department. Two rescued cats, although at times, it feels like they are the ones keeping me. :p

TheAlchemist
06-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Ditto that. Any pictures?

As for me, I'm boring in the pet department. Two rescued cats, although at times, it feels like they are the ones keeping me. :p

You've been rescued by two cats! :D How cool is that?

Echostatic
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I will have to see what photos I can put up when I get home. The acrobat ants are still living in test tubes inside a larger container, but the fire ants have a full blown multi-nest setup spanning most of the length of my dresser.

YogiBearMead726
06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
You've been rescued by two cats! :D How cool is that?

I know! They do brighten my day every time they decide to come sit in my lap. :)

I will have to see what photos I can put up when I get home. The acrobat ants are still living in test tubes inside a larger container, but the fire ants have a full blown multi-nest setup spanning most of the length of my dresser.

Sounds amazing. I've always loved hive-insects, but never have had the time or space to keep any.

Echostatic
06-03-2011, 02:19 AM
I found some pictures of my fire ant colony here.

This one shows their setup on my dresser. It's a bit dated, the smaller container has since been replaced with another hydrostone material nest similar to the other two. The container on the right is a foraging area. The containers are connected by clear aquarium tubing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/IMG_1075.jpg

I have noticed they tend to group their young together by what stage of development they are in. Here is a nice looking group of larvae.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/IMG_1092.jpg

And here is a group of pupae.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/IMG_1138.jpg

This colony is over a year old now. They got large enough to dedicate resources to producing alates, the winged queens and the winged males that mate with them. Here's a shot of one such unmated queen to the lower right of center.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/echostatic/IMG_1420.jpg

And there ya have it!

kudapucat
06-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Cool!
I wish I had the patience to build an ant farm, and then get the ants to fill it ;-)

Echostatic
06-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Hmm, I figure if one has the patience for mead, they have the patience for ants. First you have to find and capture a newly mated queen searching for a place to make a new nest. Then you have to leave her alone for a couple months usually as she settles in, lays a small group of eggs, and tends to them as they slooooowly develop into larvae, then pupae, then eventually become her first workers. It can be a slow process. Then if you have something like the invasive fire ants that form huge colonies, one must figure out the logistics of not only feeding and caring for them, but containing them. As should be clear by this point, ants are master escape artists :) I have a pretty good system now, those containers have custom cut plexiglass lids on them with large holes in the middle (making it more like a plexiglass "lip" requiring them to climb upside down to escape) and the underside is coated in liquid teflon, which they can't get a footing on. Further, the tubing can be seperated and the holes plugged with clay, should I need to move the nest. Having a modular design makes it a lot easier to move.

kudapucat
06-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Again: Cool!
unfortunately meadmaking barely gets a look in with my baby boy, renovations and work... So definitely "NO NEW PETS" at least that what the missus says. "Not until I get my new kitchen anyhow" is her new favourite line.

AToE
06-03-2011, 12:27 PM
COOL! I love ants to death. Any animals that function with what seems to us mere humans to be a practically telepathic hive-mind are high on my list of stuff I love. I know there's scientific explanations for it all, but it's no less amazing and awe inducing for that! ;D

dover157
06-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Lets see, current count is 7 chickens one of which is an evil rooster. Two Praire Skinks, four Green Anole's (started with 7 but someone told us they could go in the same cage as the skinks...wrong). Three cats, wife took two of them when she moved out so I got the kitten from the local shelter, then she brought the other two back... the kitten chases them around the house lol. Hopefully she will come get the reptiles, and insects for feeding them soon, I have nothing agains them its just that the skinks bite me every time I feed em. And my pride and joy, four verry large salt water hermit crabs, and a few other snails and what not to keep the tank clean.
http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab187/dover157/aquarium/6-1-11002.jpg
Two of the monsters just hanging out.

Quit thinking of the yeasties as pets the night I had a few to many glasses and started naming them.

Echostatic
06-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Very interesting pets! Sorry about your anoles, yeah different species generally can't be mixed together in the same tank. Salt water tanks are awesome, I've wanted one but the maintenance always scares me off. I'm busy enough :) Kudos on keeping one going.

Loadnabox
06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
I currently keep and am working on training a solar powered monkey.

Pic is on my profile :)