PDA

View Full Version : JAO taste & viscosity

Mead-E-Ogre
05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Hey You Guys,:)

So I've got a batch of JAO brewing (followed the recipe exact) & I was just wondering what the stuff tastes like!!

Since I've never made this recipe b4 I was hoping you guys can give me a yard stick with which to measure the success or failure of my JAO - so here's a few questions I'm hoping you can answer for me so that I at least can gauge more or less wether I've made a gr8 batch or not.

What's the general taste of JAO? It'll finish sweet that I knw but taste??

Also, what's the viscousity like? As thin as water or thick as a sherry??

(I'm aware that honey varietal will play a part here))

Help!! ???

Chevette Girl
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I think the viscosity really would depend on the honey you used and how far it fermented out. My JAO batches usually stall out around 10%, usually SG around 1.035 or thereabouts. So it's not as syrupy as when you start but nowhere near as thin as a dry white wine.

The spices and orange are recognizeable but not overpowering (unless you used really new, potent spices, then they might be a bit sharp until the mead gets some age). The acidity from the juice and the bitterness from the pith tend to cut the sweetness so it doesn't taste quite as sweet as it actually is.

Goes down really nice... perhaps dangerously so :)

Loadnabox
05-18-2011, 03:11 PM
When it was still carbonated my wife described it as a premium mimosa

Now without the carbonation it tastes kinda like a flat mimosa with a little bite of spice

THawk
05-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Hey You Guys,:)

So I've got a batch of JAO brewing (followed the recipe exact) & I was just wondering what the stuff tastes like!!

Since I've never made this recipe b4 I was hoping you guys can give me a yard stick with which to measure the success or failure of my JAO - so here's a few questions I'm hoping you can answer for me so that I at least can gauge more or less wether I've made a gr8 batch or not.

What's the general taste of JAO? It'll finish sweet that I knw but taste??

Also, what's the viscousity like? As thin as water or thick as a sherry??

(I'm aware that honey varietal will play a part here))

Help!! ???

Mine is sweet but hot -- ferment temperature also affects it. You'll probably experience the same problem seeing that you're also in a very warm climate. Depending on how many cloves you threw in, the spice would vary... I threw in 2 cloves into a 4 liter bottle (approx 1 gallon) and I could still feel the spice on my tongue hours afterward...

mmclean
05-19-2011, 03:43 AM
Here's a link to my brewlog, with tasting notes;

Brewlog-Joe’s Ancient Orange Mead X 6 (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16539)

Mead-E-Ogre
05-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Hey Guys :)

Thx so much for the feedback - I found it all helpfull, especially your brewlog MMClean!!

Now all I need to do is play the waiting game - Rats!!>:(

PamW
05-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I agree, MMClean's brewlog has been a great source of information as well as helped me with keeping a better log.

I'm on my 4th batch of Joe's, and it seems to me that all my batches are a little thicker than other meads I've tried. While I've changed the kinds of oranges I've used in each batch, I've used the same honey - an inexpensive mass produced one. I've noticed with mine that the viscosity is thinner if it is served at room temperature vs. chilled. Still thicker than commercial meads though, about the consistency of a dessert wine.

Hope that helps.