PDA

View Full Version : Join Oskaar in Fullerton June 4, 2011 and make some mead!

Oskaar
05-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Hello to all of you GotMeaders!

I'll be doing a meadmaking seminar/demonstration in Fullerton, California on Saturday, June 4, 2011 at Addison Homebrew Provisions (http://homebrewprovisions.com/default.aspx).

I'll be making a melomel (tentatively a tart cherry) using my own unique technique and explaining the process as I whip up the batch of mead. I'll also post the recipe here on GotMead in the Patron Section.

If you plan on coming out, bring a bottle of mead with you (or two. . . maybe three) and join the fun. If you have the fixins to make a batch of mead, bring them along as well and we'll have a group-grope orgy of meadmaking right there on the spot, and I can help you dial in your recipes and show you my way of making some great mead.

Here's the address and phone for the location:

1328 East Orangethorpe Ave
Fullerton, CA 92831

Trust me when I say my style is unique, half-science, half-intuition and half-technology, some fun and generally involves plenty of taste testing (of finished mead, and of course the must).

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Cheers,

Oskaar

skunkboy
05-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Would be cool, but that would be a long drive ... ;-)

kudapucat
05-20-2011, 07:51 PM
Would be cool, but that would be a long drive ... ;-)

What do you mean Skunkboy? You're close... relatively.

How about an Australian Tour Oskaar?

THawk
05-20-2011, 08:04 PM
that'd be a long swim for me too! An Asian-Australian tour perhaps, Oskaar? :)

Oskaar
05-20-2011, 08:15 PM
What do you mean Skunkboy? You're close... relatively.

How about an Australian Tour Oskaar?

Haha, It could happen! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
05-21-2011, 02:50 AM
that'd be a long swim for me too! An Asian-Australian tour perhaps, Oskaar? :)

Now that would be nice, my sister lives in Australia (Victoria) so it would be nice to get down there and give her a rough time, and hassle my nephew. They were up for Christmas and New Year's 2010 and 2011. But it's such a long way and it would be nice to see them more than once a year!

Cheers,

Oskaar

wildoates
05-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Drat, my son's getting hitched on the 5th near Santa Cruz. Hmmmpf.

Alas!

YogiBearMead726
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Assuming I have that day off of work (a little late to request it off), I'll be there! Sounds like a great time. :)

wayneb
05-21-2011, 03:00 PM
If you can go, do it! Nobody has more fun at a meadmaking orgy than Oskaar! ;D

Oskaar
05-22-2011, 01:43 AM
If you can go, do it! Nobody has more fun at a meadmaking orgy than Oskaar! ;D

Haha, totally true! This should be a blast, we have folks from several of the local brew clubs coming to join the fun.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Medsen Fey
05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Hmmm.... Do you have to bring your own red-heads or are they provided? ;D

YogiBearMead726
05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Got the 4th off, so I'll be there!

Now, when you say to bring stuff to make a batch, just whatever we want to make? Or will everyone make a cherry mead? Either way, I need to do something with my goldenrod honey before SWMBO uses it all. ;)

Oskaar
05-24-2011, 10:00 AM
Got the 4th off, so I'll be there!

Now, when you say to bring stuff to make a batch, just whatever we want to make? Or will everyone make a cherry mead? Either way, I need to do something with my goldenrod honey before SWMBO uses it all. ;)

Feel free to bring whatever you want to make. I'll be doing a tart cherry mel, but you're free to make whatever you like and I'll help to dial in your recipe.

Cheers, and glad to see that you'll be there.

Oskaar

Oskaar
05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Hmmm.... Do you have to bring your own red-heads or are they provided? ;D

Ha ha! BYOR 8)

kudapucat
05-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Redheads?
This is clearly a joke, but are we talking Rangas, matches or something I've never heard of before..

Oskaar
05-25-2011, 01:41 PM
It's a reference to my proclivity for redheaded women.

wildoates
05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Believe me when I say that I would rather go to this event on the 4th than the wedding on the 5th. To the nth degree.

Yeah, one o' them family events. Sigh.

kudapucat
05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
It's a reference to my proclivity for redheaded women.

ahh... so it is just rangas... only female rangas in this particular case. Fair enough.

kudapucat
05-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Believe me when I say that I would rather go to this event on the 4th than the wedding on the 5th. To the nth degree.

Yeah, one o' them family events. Sigh.

+1
I even have the day off!
I'd do anything to escape winter atm... it's so depressing.
I wish every year that I could put on some mead to ferment in the nice cool climes, and then go north for the winter. (Yeah, north. Everything's upside down here remember)

Oskaar
05-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like we're going to have a pretty good turnout so far, plus there will be a beer making demo going on before I do the cherry melomel demo. Should be a hoot!

Like I said, if you have honey, yeast and water, plus something to ferment in, come on down and make some mead!

Cheers,

Oskaar

YogiBearMead726
05-27-2011, 11:12 AM
What time does all the fun start?

Oskaar
05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
The Anniversary Party starts at 10:00 AM and runs to 5:00 PM, I should be firing up the lees stirrer at about noon or so.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
05-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Looks like I'll be on starting at 3:00 PM so come ready to make mead. I'll have the recipe printed out and some handouts as well for those who will be watching/participating.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar
06-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Howdy, I posted this up in the Patrons Area Brewlog.

See here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169012&postcount=1)

Cheers,

Oskaar

wildoates
06-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks mucho for posting the recipe, Oakaar--I would have loved to have been there, and if you're ever in my neck of the world I hope you'll do it again. :)

Dang weddings.

Hmmmpf.

wildoates
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Oakaar? Sometimes the iPhone auto-correct does strange and wonderful things.

Oskaar
06-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Oakaar? Sometimes the iPhone auto-correct does strange and wonderful things.

Haha, I've done that on Facebook more than once! :o

Oskaar
06-05-2011, 12:57 PM
This was a great event. We had about thirteen or fourteen people show up to check out the meadmaking and we had two folks that brought honey and yeast (and hibiscus!) to make their own mead as well. There were a number of folks that picked up ingredients for making their first batch. That's so excellent!

It was a lot of fun, with a lot of great questions and some great people to chat with while sampling some mead. We had folks come in from as far away as San Diego! That was so cool! A met up with a couple folks (Yo, guys!) afterward at Da Bruery and we continued the "sampling" there. Needless to say I'm moving a bit slower than usual this morning!

Thank you again for coming out to support mead and meadmaking!

A picture of the Meri's Sweet Cherry with some nice oak cubes floating under the pretty pink foam!

Cheers,

Oskaar

YogiBearMead726
06-05-2011, 02:15 PM
It was a lot of fun, and a great opportunity to pick your brain! ;) I have high hopes for the Hibiscus Metheglyn, and will definitely be sending you a couple of bottles once it's done aging.

I'm glad the Mutiny I brought met with your approval. I only wish I had more of that batch to age.

Also, it was pretty awesome to have my first visit to The Bruery be with someone who really appreciates great beer in addition to great mead and wine.

Thanks again for everything!
-Jeff