PDA

View Full Version : Damn, the world didn't end after all!

Oskaar
05-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Guess I still have to pay the water bill this week!

Medsen Fey
05-22-2011, 11:21 AM
See...
The Mayans are right. It isn't until Dec 21, 2012. ;D
So if anyone wants an "end of the world mead" that will be ready to drink by then, you need to get it started now so you'll time for a little aging. ;)

akueck
05-22-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm happy. Though a world trip to visit all the apocalyptic destruction would have been cool too...

Also did you read the article (http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/19/news/economy/may-21-end-of-the-world-finances-harold-camping/index.htm?hpt=C2) about the Family Radio employees booking appointments for this week, next week, etc? Such conviction!

TheAlchemist
05-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I'm happy. Though a world trip to visit all the apocalyptic destruction would have been cool too...

Also did you read the article (http://money.cnn.com/2011/05/19/news/economy/may-21-end-of-the-world-finances-harold-camping/index.htm?hpt=C2) about the Family Radio employees booking appointments for this week, next week, etc? Such conviction!

The people who thought up the "I'll adopt and care for your pets after the rapture" Insurance Program have made out like bandits...

Loadnabox
05-22-2011, 12:04 PM

LOL!

ok, I have to type more. My wife doesn't like me laughing at these nut jobs. I understand respectikng religions but I can't help it on this one

wayneb
05-22-2011, 12:35 PM
You guys are missing the point! Everyone deserving of automatic salvation has been raptured... oh, let me see -- nobody's gone!! :rolleyes:

;D

Next time one of these stories takes hold, I will make an end of the world mead recipe, designed to be shared when the one following that catches on. These seem to pop up every 5 to 7 years, from what I remember. Of course the mother of all of 'em will be this 2012 date - so that's gotta be a really special recipe!

TheAlchemist
05-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Mayan End sounds like a good day to START a batch of mead to me!

wayneb
05-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Yup! Kind of a "Rebirth of the Phoenix" theme will work for me - and my artist buddy will have a field day with the label art design!!

mmclean
05-22-2011, 03:37 PM
You guys are missing the point! Everyone deserving of automatic salvation has been raptured... oh, let me see -- nobody's gone!! :rolleyes:

This is in truth a very deep, philosophical point. One in whish I wholehartedly agree.

Loadnabox
05-22-2011, 03:43 PM

;D

... good point!

Next time one of these stories takes hold, I will make an end of the world mead recipe, designed to be shared when the one following that catches on. These seem to pop up every 5 to 7 years, from what I remember. Of course the mother of all of 'em will be this 2012 date - so that's gotta be a really special recipe!

hrmmm, this sounds like a group brew IMO :)

Medsen Fey
05-22-2011, 05:51 PM

In fact, it sounds like a group brew project in the making.

THawk
05-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Funnily enough, I did make a JAO batch on Saturday... I think I'll call it my Judgment Day JAO... ;D

It's a 2-gallon OB batch...

TheAlchemist
05-23-2011, 12:35 PM

Count me IN!

Loadnabox
05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

So who's got the recipe?

AToE
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
How's about this, no recipe or theme other than aging - we age until whenever the next apocalypse is (no tiny fringe cults either, just the big ones!).

Chevette Girl
05-23-2011, 06:54 PM
That sounds like a really good idea. I might be a silent partner in that, I still have no idea how technically challenging the chocolate group brew's gonna be for exchange purposes :)

Dan McFeeley
05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Or how about this -- a "Left Behind" theme mead for those of us still on earth after May 21st? ;D

Although I can laugh, I'm not poking fun or ridicule. Harold Camping has done this before, predicted Judgment Day will come in 1994. You'd think he would have learned the first time. I don't think he's a huckster like the Bakers/PTL, Jimmy Swaggert, and other noteworthy folk, at least, not according to the reports that have been surfacing so far.

I have a firm belief that irreverent humor is the best remedy for the excesses of this kind of thing. I used to be a ministerial canidate at Olivet Nazarene College/University, and in my day, there were a good number of us who were devotees of the old Wittenburg Door, a sort of Mad Magazine Christian publication, kind of between a magazine and a newsletter, bad typewriter fonts, poor editing with obvious typos, and all. Absolutely hilarious. Mike Yaconellli and co would have been tasteful and polite, then let it rip.

Hehe -- Ancient Joe's CW mead would be a good end times recipe. Quick, easy to make, and drinkable almost right away. A good mead for the End Times, the tribulations to follow? Something high octane?

--

Medsen Fey
05-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Gee, I was thinking if the world is ending in flames, maybe a Bochet.... :)

TheAlchemist
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Umm...what's a Bochet?

Chevette Girl
05-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Bochet is when you caramelize (burn) the honey first. There's a couple interesting threads from a few months ago if you can get the search engine to cooperate.

wildoates
05-24-2011, 01:14 AM
Evidently Camping has changed the date to October? Must have got his sums wrong, eh? We could plan a group brew to begin about then--unless he changes his mind again.

Dan, loved the Wittenburg Door back in my long agos! We who were young and rebellious back in the day are now old and...well, still rebellious, still listening to the Christian rockers that defined our youth. At least I do. :)

AToE
05-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Alright Medsen, that idea's a gooder - how's this proposal, we combine our ideas: long aged bochet. We pick an apocalypse (I like the big one, 2012), brew on the day we're all going to die, then we age until the next time everyone dies (can't be some silly little apocalypse either, the one this weekend was pushing it in my opinion, I didn't even hear about it until a couple days in advance! I'll still count ones of this size though).

wildoates - I like that idea because it lets us start sooner, but it doesn't give us a whole lot of time (if we went with my idea) until the next endoftheworld in 2012... hmmmm, not sure what to do here.

I'm guessing if we start on the 2012 date we'll be looking at something like 5-15 years until the next major endoftheworld (hopefully on the shorter end of that spectrum!).

Loadnabox
05-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Alright Medsen, that idea's a gooder - how's this proposal, we combine our ideas: long aged bochet. We pick an apocalypse (I like the big one, 2012), brew on the day we're all going to die, then we age until the next time everyone dies (can't be some silly little apocalypse either, the one this weekend was pushing it in my opinion, I didn't even hear about it until a couple days in advance! I'll still count ones of this size though).

wildoates - I like that idea because it lets us start sooner, but it doesn't give us a whole lot of time (if we went with my idea) until the next endoftheworld in 2012... hmmmm, not sure what to do here.

I'm guessing if we start on the 2012 date we'll be looking at something like 5-15 years until the next major endoftheworld (hopefully on the shorter end of that spectrum!).

I prefer something we can start sooner so we can start toasting the end of the world sooner!

TheAlchemist
05-24-2011, 01:20 PM
How about we all start brewing an End of the World Mead on the new and improved date of October 21, 2011 and swap/drink it on the Mayan December 23(?) 2012?

havoc64
05-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Well I am going to make two meads to commemorate the end of the world. One's going to be a Smooth Spiced Metheglin and the other's going to be a nice Sweet Mead. I have the names picked out in honor Catherine Zeta-Jones and Natalie Portman...the two actresses I am going to visit when the end starts...lol

TheAlchemist
05-24-2011, 02:02 PM
... I have the names picked out in honor Catherine Zeta-Jones and Natalie Portman...the two actresses I am going to visit when the end starts...lol

Good Luck With That...

TheAlchemist
05-24-2011, 10:39 PM

What about a capsumel?

kudapucat
05-24-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm guessing it would be fitting, yet unpleasant: Starve your yeast and over heat them add fruit after Prinary... We could have a Brimstomel!

Chevette Girl
05-24-2011, 11:59 PM
I guess it all depends on how you figure the world will end... as much as I love the ideas of brimstomel, capsicumel and bochet, if it's a flood, a hydromel would be appropriate too... what would make an appropriate meteormel or earthquakemel?

kudapucat
05-25-2011, 01:45 AM
I guess it all depends on how you figure the world will end... as much as I love the ideas of brimstomel, capsicumel and bochet, if it's a flood, a hydromel would be appropriate too... what would make an appropriate meteormel or earthquakemel?

If you believe the nutters, it will be a combination of all natural disasters, as well as unnatural... so Perhaps we should each make our own 'disastermel'

So we have
Brimstomel
capsicumel
bochet
hydromel
Volcanomel - highly carbonated so you can shake it like the motor racing guys do
EarthquakeMel - 1 brew split into a couple of variations in secondary - designed to be drunk at the same time.
RoidMel / Meteomel - ummm dunno how to get the feeling of a frozen ball of rock... perhaps icypole (pop-stick) mead? Alcopop? - but with a firey impack of high alcohol and peppers?

anything else?

wayneb
05-25-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm going with a toasty bochet, with some heavy toast oak added in the primary (after all, if armageddon starts right after the rapture, then any other recipe would be spoiled with all that fire and brimstone around!), to be begun on Oct 21, and first drunk at the end of December, 2012. Seems perfectly fitting - now all I need's a proper name....

TheAlchemist
05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
About now a lot of us in the midwest are thinkin' tornadomel...

kudapucat
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
About now a lot of us in the midwest are thinkin' tornadomel...

OK, so how do you get the essence of a tornado into a mead? Describe why your name fits the mead so well... or what you'll do to make the mead fit the name so well.

triarchy
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
How about we all start brewing an End of the World Mead on the new and improved date of October 21, 2011 and swap/drink it on the Mayan December 23(?) 2012?

I dont mean to party poop on the whole Mayan end date of 12-23-12, but I thought this was interesting and everybody would have loads of aging potential ;D And the Mayan calendar is circular, no real ending just start over. Yay for earth!

This is the translation of an excerpt of a publication in Natuurwetenschap & Techniek (Science & Technology), a Dutch scientific magazine. The excerpt was written by Maarten Keulemans. The publication was made in the 11th edition of 2009.

"By looking at casual references in Spanish writings, archeologists named Goodman, Martínez and Thompson presented their 'GMT-correlation': a calculation that determined the creation date of the Mayans to be the 11th of August 3114 B.C. After some calculations the GMT-correlation says that the long count will complete one full round in December 2012. The counter will jump to 13.0.0.0.0 and time will be finished, or so the archeologists thought.

What only a few 2012-prophets know, is that the GMT-correlation has been under heavy fire for the last ten years by modern research of astronomers, archeologists and a few hobby mathematicians. The final blow has been dealt by the thesis that gave earth-scientist Andreas Fuls his Ph.D. at the Technical University of Berlin three years ago. Fuls demonstrated that the GMT-correlation was not in line with a Mayan table that displayed the positions of Venus. And there is more, like inscriptions and artifacts that had not been discovered or dated in the time of Goodman, Martínez and Thompson. By adding it all up Fuls comes with a completely different date: one that has moved it 208 years. According to that correlation the long count will end in two centuries, on the 21st, 22nd or 23rd of December 2220. "That's the only possibility", Fuls says when asked about it."

Anyhow, Im kind of a mesoamerican geek. If anybody is a reader and is interested in things Mayan, Id recommend the book In the Courts of the Sun by Brian D'Amato. Its pure fiction, but I found it unique and interesting.

Medsen Fey
05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
By adding it all up Fuls comes with a completely different date: one that has moved it 208 years. According to that correlation the long count will end in two centuries, on the 21st, 22nd or 23rd of December 2220.

I reckon that means we have a little more time for aging. :)
I'm thinking my meadeiras might be able to age that long without difficulty.

AToE
05-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Now, if they can just hurry up and figure out how to download a human mind into a computer we might even be around to taste them. ;)

TheAlchemist
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
OK, so how do you get the essence of a tornado into a mead? Describe why your name fits the mead so well... or what you'll do to make the mead fit the name so well.

Not sure, maybe I could rig up a doublecarboy like when kids take 2 liter soda bottles, fill one with water, tape the necks together, turn up-side-down and voila! You have a whirlpool...

Medsen Fey
05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
OK, so how do you get the essence of a tornado into a mead?

Just use some Tropicana Twister Juice (http://www.tropicana.com/#/trop_products/productsLanding.swf?Twister). ;D

Chevette Girl
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
You folks are awesome! Great ideas, all.

So for brimstomel, I guess using a warm ferment with D47 would be a desired procedure to get the sulphur for the brimstone-ness, huh?

wayneb
05-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Not necessarily. We may instead want an "antidote" to the brimstone - assuming we're all living in the post-apocalyptic remnants of the planet, that is.

TheAlchemist
06-01-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm going with a toasty bochet, with some heavy toast oak added in the primary (after all, if armageddon starts right after the rapture, then any other recipe would be spoiled with all that fire and brimstone around!), to be begun on Oct 21, and first drunk at the end of December, 2012. Seems perfectly fitting - now all I need's a proper name....

That's what I'm calling mine!
So, let the Bochet Group Brew Begin!