PDA

View Full Version : Too much sulfite

DGettere
05-25-2011, 07:29 PM
I seem to have added a bit too much sulfite. I tried to get to 50 PPM, but must have overshot it. I don't know what the level is, but I can slightly smell it, as well as a hint of it in taste. Is there anything I can do to be able to enjoy this batch this year rather than in 2014?

I just aerated it a bit, that's all so far.

Thanks!
DG

Medsen Fey
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd measure it first. Use dilutions if necessary. Once you know the level you can decide how best to proceed.

You can eliminate sulfite with hydrogen peroxide, but you want to measure the amounts carefully.

How about providing the details of the recipe and the amounts here?

jkane
05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
I did that to 30 gallons of mead a few years ago. I bottled it anyhow. Big mistake. 3 Years later, the sulfur never went away. I had split it up into 5 different fruit meads. Ended up dumping them all back together in 2 half barrel kettles and added an aquarium pump with stone in the bottom of the kegs. I covered them with plastic and let the oxygen in the air combine with it and carry the smell away. Twice a day I lifted the plastic and if it still smelled, left the pump on. It seems like it took a couple weeks to dissipate.

In theory, the sulfate would protect from oxidation. It kind of did. I bottled it all again. It was very good for a few months, but did not age well. While it was at it's peak, it won 1st place in a contest though. :-) Called it pentaberry mead. Took those bottles everywhere to get rid of it as fast as I could.