• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Too much sulfite

Barrel Char Wood Products

DGettere

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2009
I seem to have added a bit too much sulfite. I tried to get to 50 PPM, but must have overshot it. I don't know what the level is, but I can slightly smell it, as well as a hint of it in taste. Is there anything I can do to be able to enjoy this batch this year rather than in 2014?

I just aerated it a bit, that's all so far.

Thanks!
DG

Last edited:

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I'd measure it first. Use dilutions if necessary. Once you know the level you can decide how best to proceed.

You can eliminate sulfite with hydrogen peroxide, but you want to measure the amounts carefully.

How about providing the details of the recipe and the amounts here?

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
I did that to 30 gallons of mead a few years ago. I bottled it anyhow. Big mistake. 3 Years later, the sulfur never went away. I had split it up into 5 different fruit meads. Ended up dumping them all back together in 2 half barrel kettles and added an aquarium pump with stone in the bottom of the kegs. I covered them with plastic and let the oxygen in the air combine with it and carry the smell away. Twice a day I lifted the plastic and if it still smelled, left the pump on. It seems like it took a couple weeks to dissipate.

In theory, the sulfate would protect from oxidation. It kind of did. I bottled it all again. It was very good for a few months, but did not age well. While it was at it's peak, it won 1st place in a contest though. :) Called it pentaberry mead. Took those bottles everywhere to get rid of it as fast as I could.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns