PDA

View Full Version : Cyser or Cider?! :confused:

RightHookCook
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Ok im just about to make a cyser and was wondering if most people drink this like a pint of cider or like a glass of wine? and tbh is there really much difference between cider and cyser (other than the fact theres honey in one and not the other).

Thanks in advance guys. :D

YogiBearMead726
06-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok im just about to make a cyser and was wondering if most people drink this like a pint of cider or like a glass of wine? and tbh is there really much difference between cider and cyser (other than the fact theres honey in one and not the other).

Thanks in advance guys. :D

To my understaning, the honey is the key difference between the two. Cider also tends to be lower in ABV than cyser, hence why I drink cider from a pint and cyser from a wine glass. But, feel free to enjoy as you like!

I like drinking all mead in tulip/wine glasses since the aroma is so much of what I enjoy about drinking the stuff. :)

Loadnabox
06-03-2011, 11:36 AM
To my understaning, the honey is the key difference between the two. Cider also tends to be lower in ABV than cyser, hence why I drink cider from a pint and cyser from a wine glass. But, feel free to enjoy as you like!

I like drinking all mead in tulip/wine glasses since the aroma is so much of what I enjoy about drinking the stuff. :)

This has been my understanding too. Cider is usually lower ABV concentrating on fermenting the apple's sugars versus added sugar/honey. Cyser is usually wine strength with a decent amount of the fermentables coming from Apples, but another decent share from honey.

commonsenseman
06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
So, technically the definition is Cyser contains honey while Hard Cider does not. I wonder what the downside would be to making a fairly low gravity cider. Like half of the fermentables from honey/water & half from cider, pehaps with a gravity around 1.060? Maybe less apple flavor? Maybe watery tasting?

I made a Sparkling Cyser than had an OG of 1.080 & am still waiting to see if it's any good, time will tell.

I would think that if you use high quality honey & age it for a few months, you could come up with a good tasting, low gravity Cyser. I'm not sure if it'd be any better or different than a regular cider though.

Food for thought.

Arden
06-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I have also made 'apple wine' in which I combined white grape juice and wine tannins with apple juice to enhance mouth feel. It didn't last long once it matured to (almost) drinking age.

Medsen Fey
06-03-2011, 01:36 PM
A hard cider can be excellent even though it is not a high-gravity beverage.

I have made what I call a cyser, even though it was only fermented apple juice and I used just enough honey to prime it it for carbonation. Since I used buckwheat honey, the honey character shows up even though there was only a small amount used. I think with some age it is going to be quite good, and I'll be able to enjoy a pint-mug full without getting hammered. I suppose if I used a mild honey that wasn't showing its character, I'd be inclined to just call it a hard cider, but as far as I'm concerned if the honey is showing up, I'll label it as cyser.

DaleP
06-05-2011, 08:59 AM
So, technically the definition is Cyser contains honey while Hard Cider does not. I wonder what the downside would be to making a fairly low gravity cider. Like half of the fermentables from honey/water & half from cider, pehaps with a gravity around 1.060? Maybe less apple flavor? Maybe watery tasting?

I made a Sparkling Cyser than had an OG of 1.080 & am still waiting to see if it's any good, time will tell.

I would think that if you use high quality honey & age it for a few months, you could come up with a good tasting, low gravity Cyser. I'm not sure if it'd be any better or different than a regular cider though.

Food for thought.
Your typical cider is going to have a gravity in the range of 1050-1055, so a 50% apple-50%honey fermentable mix will be 1100 or above. A good Cyser!

commonsenseman
06-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Your typical cider is going to have a gravity in the range of 1050-1055, so a 50% apple-50%honey fermentable mix will be 1100 or above. A good Cyser!

For example, I was thinking for a 1 gallon recipe:

1/2 Gallon Apple Cider
.841 Lbs Honey
Water to 1 Gallon
Yeast, etc.

That should put the S.G. at 1.060 & have an even distribution of fermentables.