PDA

View Full Version : Off to Ethiopia!

AToE
06-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Just wanted to say goodbye for a couple weeks, I'm off to Ethiopia tomorrow and probably won't be spending much if any time on the internet while I'm away! If I find some awesome mead I'll try to bring some back to share with you folks at the next Mazer Cup or whenever I see you!

Chevette Girl
06-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Have fun, travel safe!!

As Bugs Bunny would say, "Bonn Voyagee!"
;D

akueck
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
That sounds awesome! Have a great time. ;D

AToE
06-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Should be amazing, I highly recommend googling Lalibela, which is a town I'm going to visit with a bunch of churches that will blow your mind, super cool!

I also plan on staying far away from Somalia!

mccann51
06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Enjoy the tej and culture! Peace, man!

AToE
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Will do! I've always wanted to do a lot of travelling to places of historical import, and I figure my first destination being Ethiopia is very fitting, as arguably the birthplace of humanity itself (if not the birthplace, at least the general area... I'll visit the surrounding countries later!). ;D

wildoates
06-05-2011, 12:35 PM
ENJOY every single moment!

TheAlchemist
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Bon Voyage!

Brad Dahlhofer
06-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to say goodbye for a couple weeks, I'm off to Ethiopia tomorrow and probably won't be spending much if any time on the internet while I'm away! If I find some awesome mead I'll try to bring some back to share with you folks at the next Mazer Cup or whenever I see you!

Sounds like an amazing adventure. Have fun!!

AToE
06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm back! Great little trip, should have some pictures uploaded soon, I'll probably just stick them all on facebook.

akueck
06-16-2011, 12:00 AM
You're back just in time for the site shutdown! :p

Pictures sound awesome. Now I'll have to find you on FB.

AToE
06-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I should be pretty easy to find, can't see there being more than one or two people on there with the name Alan Holowaychuk!

Sadly I only had t'ej once while I was there, from a little stall/shop (all the shops are stalls pretty much) in the city of Gonder/Gondar. It was interesting, but I couldn't really finish drinking it. I think it might have been "old" or possibly oxidized as it seemed almost bone dry, which to my understanding is not the norm, the stuff is usually drank young before it's done fermenting. Or maybe I just don't like gesho... other than being so dry it did seem to style, very "thick" a dark yellow/orange colour, opaque, lots of floating debris. I might go buy some gesho of my own and try making more of the stuff.

On a cool side-note, while my friend Jen (I've gotten tired of calling her my ex, too many negative connotations with that term...) was in Ghana, she got her hands on 2 water bottles full of local honey for me (weight unknown at this time, I'm hoping at least 3 lbs) and had it taken back to Canada by a classmate, I should have it soon.

It sounds really awesome, harvested from wild bees by hand by a lady from the area she was studying/researching in, totally raw, squeezed out of the comb by hand apparently. I'm stoked to turn it into an extra special mead! Jen also has a pretty decent idea what many of the flowers involved may have been, so I'll post whatever we find out when I do the brewlog.

wildoates
06-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Whoo hooo! I'm gonna go find you on FB because I wanna see those photos!

TheAlchemist
06-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Welcome Home!

AToE
06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Pics are up!

Chevette Girl
06-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Very nice!