• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Marking just one thread as "Read"

Barrel Char Wood Products

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Hey all, this may be the wrong place for this, but I wasn't sure if "Site Tips/Tools/Suggestions" was the right place either...so I'm erring on the side of this being general chit-chat.

Is there any way to permanently mark one specific thread as "Read"? I'm just a little tired of seeing "1 Unread Post", eagerly clicking to see what someone has posted, only to find it's just the same long thread getting one more response.

As an example, the JAO sticky thread seems to get a bump every now and again, but I frankly don't have the time or interest to read through all 1,000+ posts just to gain some context for the most recent post.

So...is there a way to just label it as permanently "Read", or will I just have to deal with the false sense of excitement created whenever I see that "Unread Post" button light up? :p

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I hear you Yogi, there are a couple of 'chit-chat' threads that have little to do with mead that I'd like to silence too, however I seriously doubt this is a feature currently built into the forum code.
So you mean, just like you can 'subscribe' to a thread, you'd like to be able to blacklist one also?
It's a nice idea, but the mechanics of such a thing would not be a small addition to the forum, unless somebody has already built an addon to do it. My best bet would be to schedule a custom app on you pc to run evey hour and simply mark the ones you aren't interested in as read. It's not perfect but it would work.
It's not something that's annoyed me enough yet to want to try to implement, or to look into how hard it would be for forum code.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns