PDA

View Full Version : Other uses for honey (blasphemy?)

caffeine211
06-14-2011, 10:12 PM
We all know how most of use our honey... but do you use it for anything other than mead?

My personal favorite is a nice piece of toast topped with chunky peanut butter and a drizzle of honey on top.

Chevette Girl
06-14-2011, 10:21 PM
My family used to make candy kisses with peanut butter mixed with honey and I think it was buttermilk powder... I also use it instead of sugar in smoothies and on oatmeal, and over sweet chile cornbread... oh, and lots of it in ginger tea. Oh, and the aster and goldenrod honey I got for my special treat is great in warm milk at bedtime, even though after a year and a half the aroma isn't distinguishable any more, the distinctive flavours do come back out when it's warmed up.

...and sometimes I just dip a spoon in and eat it. Because. It's yummy.

MazerX
06-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Blasphemy and from a Newboob too!
I use honey in my soap. How's that for blasphemous?

To clarify, I also make soap, and one of them
is an Oatmeal, Milk (goats milk) and Honey.
And some times just Oatmeal and Honey.

Needless to say I use the cheap stuff.

PitBull
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
My personal favorite is a nice piece of toast topped with chunky peanut butter and a drizzle of honey on top.
My personal favorite is a cute little honey with a drizzle of honey on top.

Medsen Fey
06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Honey, whiskey and lemon is my favorite cough medicine (and I've discovered buckwheat and heather are the best for this).

kudapucat
06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Honey, whiskey and lemon is my favorite cough medicine (and I've discovered buckwheat and heather are the best for this).

Warmed up a little, (using Irish Whiskey of course) I've always known the above recipe as a 'hot toddie' it works wonders as medicine. Double the whiskey if you have a sore throat.

mccann51
06-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Honey for a sore or scratchy throat works wonders! I'll have to try throwing some whiskey and lemon in with it next time.

Honey in tea during the colder months is a staple for me. Nothing like some heat, sugar, and caffeine to get you going in the morn.

caffeine211
06-15-2011, 10:33 AM

That sounds like a good drink regardless of the sore throat!

Medsen Fey
06-15-2011, 11:03 AM
Honey/orange glazed chicken is out of this world.

wildoates
06-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Drizzled over a hot, flaky biscuit. Oh yeah, baby.

YogiBearMead726
06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Non-food uses, I've used honey on a burn before. It kind of helped, though I'm sure not as much as the running under cold water I did before applying the honey. I've also used it on minor abrasions that happen to me during brewing/moving carboys around since there is always some on hand in my brewing space. :)

Otherwise, I love it, as others have said, for a sore throat cure.

Honey is pretty amazing stuff!

fatbloke
06-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Honey wrestling ?

At least you'd see more of the "action" than with mud etc....

MattHollingsworth
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
I use it in brewing beer for recipes calling for sugar, like some Belgians and such. Used in in a Belgian golden strong ale that had ginger and grapefruit peel, used the Duvel yeast and a pound or so of linden honey. Adds more flavor than just sugar.

wy_white_wolf
06-15-2011, 10:40 PM
****This is BAD****
*** Warning ***
***Adult Content***

ex stripped down the waterbed and covered it with a plastic sheet. Then poured on about a gallon of honey and stripped down, rolled in it a waited for me to come home. with a chilled bottle at the foot of the bed.

It was a very good evening.

akueck
06-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Sounds sticky. :p

Chevette Girl
06-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Sounds sticky. :p

I think that one's up with the chocolate sauce on the "better in fantasy than in real life" shelf...

<evil grin> hope there were photos though.

wy_white_wolf
06-16-2011, 09:54 PM
no pictures and yes we did have a chocolate night before that and a jello wrestling night.

Dang, I miss that waterbed.

TheAlchemist
06-17-2011, 06:24 PM
I've used honey on a burn before.

Honey is pretty amazing stuff!

Now you've got me thinking...anybody ever use honey for a bee sting? Sort-of homeopathic concept...

Me, I love honey...on corn bread...in yogurt...hot flaky biscuit(with you on that one, wild)...just a spoonful with a sprinkle of pollen...with peanutbutter and banana...mmm...I've gotta have at least one dose daily.

beeboy
06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I haven't used sugar for years, instead it is honey in my coffee and on my corn flakes in the morning. For a sore throat I'll mix 1 part honey with 1 part lemon juice and 2 parts water. An older guy in the carving club I'm a member of said he used a 50/50 mix of honey and apple cider vinegar for hemroids, never have tried it down there on the bottom end.

TheAlchemist
06-17-2011, 09:34 PM
no pictures and yes we did have a chocolate night before that and a jello wrestling night.

Dang, I miss that waterbed.

Not the woman, though...(?)