PDA

View Full Version : Syllabub

wildoates
06-18-2011, 01:58 AM
So, I'm meandering around the vast body of human literature recently and happened upon the food item "syllabub." I'm fairly well-read and have a moderately good vocabulary, but for the life of me I don't ever remember seeing or hearing the term before.

Now if my dear ol' mum was still alive, I'd ask her and I bet she'd know, but she isn't so I resorted to the internet. I love the internet, have I mentioned that before? It's almost as exhaustive as Mom. Anyway, check this out (http://www.historicfood.com/Syllabub%20Recipes.htm) and tell me that it wouldn't be verrrry interesting made with just about any kind of mead you could concoct. I may have to serve it for dessert one of these days. I have just a little bit of mead sitting around the house that I could use. :)

Anyone ever had it? I did a GM search and only came up with one mention, from eons ago.

kudapucat
06-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Sounds interesting.
The cream would kill a lit of the sweetness. It may work a treat.
Tell you what, grab that mead of yours and some cream. Take on for the team, whip it up and tell us what it's like.

Chevette Girl
06-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Hmm, something to try with the container of whipping cream I bought for my b-day but never used since I stripped the gears from my mixer with the meringue :P

Reading a little deeper into that article, I suppose if you added cream to something that's carbonated (or in the more likely case that it's still fermenting), you mightn't have to whip much, the degassing would froth the drink itself!

TheAlchemist
06-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Mmmm...you're provoking me...
Love the "syllabub pumping engine"
For sure that's something to try!
Have you put this on your syllabus for next teaching season?

wildoates
06-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Hmmm...maybe I could get them to look it up, and then research why the cream clabbers when you add the wine. :)

wildoates
06-20-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm entranced with the entire website, actually...I'm not sure if anyone should be allowed to have so much fun with food. :)

Medsen Fey
06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Wow!
Those treats look delicious. I'm imagining what that would taste like with honey/mead instead of wine, and I may just have to give this a try instead of making homemade icecream for the 4th of July!

Edit
I see that one recipe that calls for Seville oranges - the same ones I use in my Orange Marmalade melomel - and it is calling my name. :)

TheAlchemist
06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Wow!

Edit
I see that one recipe that calls for Seville oranges - the same ones I use in my Orange Marmalade melomel - and it is calling my name. :)

Heed the call! And tell us all about it!

wildoates
06-20-2011, 04:09 PM
When I googled modern recipes for syllabub they tended to have a disclamer: Given its alcohol content, you might not want to give syllabub to children. Make them another dessert.

Sounds just the thing at bedtime. :)

Chevette Girl
06-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Given its alcohol content, you might not want to give syllabub to children. Make them another dessert.

Sounds just the thing at bedtime. :)

LOL, sounds good for adults too!

Ayinson
06-23-2011, 03:24 PM
This is just incredible.
Up until I read this thread a couple of days ago I had never heard of anything called "syllabub". But this evening, while I was eating, a random cooking show was on, and all of a sudden I hear this Danish guy say "Next, I'm going to show you how to make a syllabub."
Seriously, how come this tends to happen so often?:D

Anyway, the dude used cider instead of wine, so I'm fairly certain it should work with mead as well. He did give the warning that you shouldn't whisk it too much because the syllabub will start shifting if you do so, and also that the whisking itself might take quite a bit longer than whipping cream. The consistency to be looked for is not as stiff as you would whip cream, but rather something still liquidy but firm.

My 2 cents. Well actually the danish guy's two cents:p

TheAlchemist
06-23-2011, 03:59 PM
...Seriously, how come this tends to happen so often?:D

'Cause you're tapped in to The Collective Unconscious?

TheAlchemist
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Anybody try making any of this stuff yet?

How'd it turn out?

wildoates
08-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I haven't, but I definitely will.

ZwolfUpir
08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
I was planning on making a mead ice cream when I finished making the coffee mead, but I think this just shot up the list. Now to show the wife so she'll let me get the honey. :D

TheAlchemist
08-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting to see that Sir Kenelm Digby was in on this action!

wildoates
08-13-2011, 11:08 AM
I suspect that if any part of the action included food on the board and drink in the cup, he was in on it. :)

TheAlchemist
08-13-2011, 12:02 PM
No wonder he was knighted!

Chevette Girl
08-17-2011, 01:36 AM
It's definitely on my to-do list...

kudapucat
08-17-2011, 06:08 AM
It's definitely on my to-do list...

One day I'm going to want to see this list CG... Magical and mythical though it seems

Chevette Girl
08-17-2011, 09:27 AM
One day I'm going to want to see this list CG... Magical and mythical though it seems

Mostly pointless 'cause it gets longer by the day! 17 items and that's just what I can remember since trying to write it all down.

TheAlchemist
01-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Just resurrecting the thread...to inspire us all!

TheAlchemist
12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh. My. Gawd.

I finally got tired of waiting for Someone Else to do this and post their results.

I made a banana cream pie today for the family gathering...mixed up a bit of the remaining whipped cream with half an ounce of Lil Joe a la Jenn.

Yowza.

Definitely an experiment worth repeating.

I have also thought of using that squirt whip cream in a can which I have left over from Thanksgiving...

Chevette Girl
12-16-2012, 01:53 AM
I really really want to try it! I just keep finding other uses for cream (like in tapioca custard) when I have it on hand...

TheAlchemist
12-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Oh!
And by the way, syllabub was a word on my word-a-day calendar this year. October 9th, I believe!

wildoates
12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
I still haven't done it either, but I did have gløgg last night. :)

TheAlchemist
12-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Raising a toast to the Baby Jesus
(and to Les Miz...brilliant)
with a glass of My Easy Peasy Syllabub Recipe...

TheAlchemist
12-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Wait for it...

Riverat
12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Hey, I think even I could manage that!

Chevette Girl
12-31-2012, 01:03 AM
<grin> I'd do it... at Thanksgiving, my mom knows better than to only have one of those cans (if we don't do the whipped cream from scratch), my brother and I will each take one and nobody else gets any...

JayH
01-01-2013, 06:00 AM
Reason to hate GotMead # 92, it's a time sink :-)

I like desserts, So this thread cost me a couple of hours on the internet and another couple in the kitchen.

So here’s what I discovered

There are lots of recipes for Syllabub on the internet, however all of these are what were historically referred to as ‘solid’ or ‘everlasting’ syllabubs and these are really nothing more than slightly alcoholic, flavored whip cream; far more interesting as a topping for something else. I tried floating some of it on top of some JAO, it was OK, but not something I’d try again.

However there was something called a whipped syllabub where you put air through the wine (mead) and cream mixture scooping off the bubbles as you go. Place the bubbles on a strainer and let sit over night.

So here is what I came up with.

1 Cup whipping cream 1/3 cup JAO 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

First I tried using a whisk but that didn’t create air bubbles, it whipped the cream. (For those that are interested the reason you can make whipped cream is that as you whip it you strip the protective covering from the fat and that allows it to form an emulsion.)

Next I tried blowing air through a straw, but that didn’t work well and as it formed far too large a bubble, and is a great way to hyperventilate.

Finally the solution; a pastry bag, a number 3 tip (it worked better than either the number1 or 4 and my CO2 bottle. Rubber band the pastry bag around the end of the CO2 line and place the tip in the cream mixture, then force CO2 through the mixture. I’m sure straight air would work just as well, however I didn’t have a good source for compressed air.

Next for a strainer; the finer the better, fewer bubbles seem to break, so out came my coffee strainer that I use for straining things other than coffee (I keep a separate one so as to not leave everything tasting of coffee.)

After it foamed up a bit I’d took a spoon and put the froth in the strainer. I then placed this in the fridge over night, it reduced to about ½ the volume, but what was left was an interesting ethereal sweet foam that just literally disappeared in your mouth, but left behind an interesting sweet and tangy taste.

I had put it on top of some JAO interesting, but not really worth the effort. However I can imagine that this technique might be useful for other desserts in the future.

Cheers
Jay

Chevette Girl
06-14-2014, 02:18 PM
I still haven't forgotten my plans to try this...

mannye
07-21-2014, 11:01 PM
Taps foot.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Chevette Girl
07-22-2014, 01:33 AM
I meant to do this for my birthday this year but the baking got out of hand. Again.